• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trouble getting duplicate key made

I bought my '99 a year ago. It had only one key. I bought a blank that was cut but the dealer said they needed the red key to program the chip in the head of the key. I don't have that key. Any options?

Go to a different dealer, that dealer does not seem to have the proper acura equipment. I have had the dealers here copy my transponder key. All they need is your working chipped key. If they can't do it (they should) Go to a locksmith. They (dealer) need to use their Ilcrw2a ilco immobilizer key dupicator machine see Acura TSB 99-029. I have a copy of that TSB if you need.

Yes , or just call around to different places till you can find someone who can duplicate your key , it is pretty standard these days for locksmiths to have this setup.

Just find a good locksmith, they can usually do it and it's much cheaper. I had the same problem last year and Acura wanted to replace my whole imobilizer unit because I didn't have the red key. Would of been around $1000 for the job. For $35 a local locksmith copied my keys and made sure it worked. When I went back to buy some MTF from the local Acura, they asked me if I still wanted the $1000 job so I could get another key. The manager even offered to get a discount. Told him I got one copied for $35. Should of seen the look on the manager's face.

Back