• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trunk Struts Without Balls.... Help

I recently ordered the struts for the trunk of my NSX. However the struts came without the ball screws. I tried contacting the dealer again about this but it fell on deaf ears.

So as to make my investment fruitful, I decided to put in the ball screws from my old struts into the new ones. But how do I get the ball screws out from the old struts? And how do I put them in the new ones????

Supercar said:
I recently ordered the struts for the trunk of my NSX. However the struts came without the ball screws. I tried contacting the dealer again about this but it fell on deaf ears.

So as to make my investment fruitful, I decided to put in the ball screws from my old struts into the new ones. But how do I get the ball screws out from the old struts? And how do I put them in the new ones????

When I replaced mine I had to cut the end of the struts with a dremel to get the (ball screws) off. After that the new ones just pop in, I also put some grease in there to help avoid this next time.

good luck
Armando

Um... when I replaced mine I just popped off the old struts (leaving the ball screws in the trunk lid and body) and popped the new ones on...

This doesn't work for you?

I have a friend of mine who does extensive car audio work and deals with a lot of different fasteners. He has a set of tools that he uses for detail work removing interior parts, they are from snap on and look alot like dentists tools. It has a curved "pick" style tool that is small, yet strong, you can hold the ball socket with a vice grips, move the strut all the way to one side and find a small metal ring inside. Use the small curved tool to find where the seperation is in the ring and you can "pull" the retaining ring inside the ball out without damaging the ball studs. That's what we did to get mine out after I made the same mistake of not ordering new ones. Good Luck!

Danka

Thanks for all the suggestion guys. Will get work on it later on. Wished that vendor had sent me the complete strut. Now I have to meddle with balls!!!!!

Heh, I must enjoy punishment since I used a hacksaw blade (without a handle-- it was all I had available at the moment) to cut the balls out of the struts! It was slow going, but I did manage to get the balls out without damaging them.

Back