• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

trunk won't stay up

Lightguy, thanks for posting the photo, you are correct the wire harness doesn't fit the new support cylinder, I like your solution, I used electrical tape to make it stay up and it looks like crap. Thanks.

Why is it that whenever I read a new thread it costs me $$$. Just received the $50 pair from the vendor here and they look good - we'll see how they hold up. Maybe reading the threads saves me $$$. Now I sound like my wife at a shoe sale. Happy Motoring!

Why is it that whenever I read a new thread it costs me $$$. Just received the $50 pair from the vendor here and they look good - we'll see how they hold up. Maybe reading the threads saves me $$$. Now I sound like my wife at a shoe sale. Happy Motoring!

Thanks for the order pgilliam.

As for the threads saving you $$, that can be interpreted in two different ways. For gear you would've bought regardless, yes the forums can save you a ton of dough. For gear you didn't know you needed until after reading, it can put quite a dent in your wallet! But of course there's no better way to spend your paycheck than to improve that beautiful Japanese supercar parked in your garage.

:smile:

Just installed the Columbia struts. The offsets on the trunk lid connector were a problem. On the drivers side and I had to bend the top (not a big deal since they screw off), OK fit on the passenger side. They are not as well made compared to the OEM, but at less than half the price I guess it's to be expected. If they last they'll be worth it :confused:. Happy Motoring!

??? I guess I'm not understanding you. You bent the top of what exactly?

??? I guess I'm not understanding you. You bent the top of what exactly?

I bent the top of the strut (the top part that unscrews from the strut - it connects to the trunk lid and held on by the c-clip). Without the offset, the angle of the strut was such that it didn't align correctly.

It was mentioned in the installation instructions that the they may not align, the instructions indicated to "loosen the three bolts that secure the trunk lid hinge to the chassis. This will allow the extra clearance needed to insert the pin. Once inserted and the C-clip attached, re-tighten the bolts. Whether this step is necessary will depend on your NSX, as alignment and clearances differ slightly from car to car."

I was able to loosen one bolt on each hinge and strut slid on fairly easily. Tightened the hinge bolts and every thing works fine.

This won't help you now, but, for others, you don't need to bend the strut.

Yes aljones is right, bending the connector isn't necessary. It's probably not a bad idea to dab a little grease onto the mounting pin before install however.

It was mentioned in the installation instructions that the they may not align, the instructions indicated to "loosen the three bolts that secure the trunk lid hinge to the chassis. This will allow the extra clearance needed to insert the pin. Once inserted and the C-clip attached, re-tighten the bolts. Whether this step is necessary will depend on your NSX, as alignment and clearances differ slightly from car to car."

I was able to loosen one bolt on each hinge and strut slid on fairly easily. Tightened the hinge bolts and every thing works fine.

This won't help you now, but, for others, you don't need to bend the strut.

I read the instructions. However, I determined that if I had to loosen bolts to align the strut, then upon retightening the bolts, the strut would then be in a "bind" condition. A slight bend made a more perfect fit. That's the reason Honda put the offset on the OEM struts. FWIW.

Just replaced mine this week, perhaps they have lowered the price but I did the whole thing for under $100 with OEM stuff. Replace the screw in ball ends and bought new E-clips too. Of course, my local Acura dealer will match the prices on Delray Acura's online price list...
Took about 15 minutes, everything fit perfect.:biggrin:

I read the instructions. However, I determined that if I had to loosen bolts to align the strut, then upon retightening the bolts, the strut would then be in a "bind" condition.

No, they don't bind. At least none of the 70+ sets I've sold so far do.

If the mod works for you great, but it isn't necessary.

Back