• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

TSLA stock buy or stay away?

I think TSLA was sold to free up cash to buy other stuff that was beaten down......In general the market overshoots both to the upside and downside..

So anyone care for a broader conversation?

Most of us are stuck at home and i'm quickly reaching the end of the internet.

In watching the market this week, I can't help but think of a potential more morbid outlook. There's been such broad stock market wealth destruction this week I wonder if this is a fundamental shift in asset classes (away from stocks) whereby this recovery might take a long long time (years). I'm not sure I see a strong bounce coming. Dare I say.. might even be a move to other asset classes like RE, Gold, other developing countries? I reckon most who cashed out are sitting on cash. Well, we're about to blow up our deficit like the world has never seen, yet.. it's the world.. we're all in it. Feds printing money, countries running up massive deficits in the name of human aid. I just don't see a sharp return in the market unless we can quickly get over this thing in a timeframe like single digit weeks, not months. But where does the world put their money if not the USA? China and parts of Asia seems to be the only countries bouncing back from this. I suppose we'll know in a few weeks....

Anyway, I went to 90% cash last year.. a bit early, sure... so i'm SLOWY DCA'ing into this. The way I see it... if it doesn't recover my cash is worthless anyway LOL

Last edited:
I was 30% cash before wreck and have put 10% to work recently in stocks on my wish list....I believe the pain will be longer lasting...but in the end greed always wins so if your time horizon is at least 5 years out then take advantage....also more recently bond funds started going down with equities.....rare to see that.

I also hate when pundits talk in generalities shying away from individual names....On my radar in next few weeks.......LL, BE, MA,RH,AMT,...add to Boeing, apple, might take a wack at financials like Cit..MS....If TSLA dips below 330...

great buy on zoom...my son is home schooling with it....My current covid type plays are Gilead, ntflx, fb...all of which have faired better than every thing else..some of the chip makers are looking better now like nxp and nvda...

core holding...

The way I see it... if it doesn't recover my cash is worthless anyway LOL

Foreign real estate.

I was 100% cash too three days before the crash. Talked my coworker into getting out the day before. He's thanked me every day since. All of that cash is now taking advantage of our awesome currency exchange rates with the Argentinian peso and the Brazilian real and buying up real estate. The problem in Buenos Aires is that most high-end sellers want to do business in dollars. They learned many years ago with their last currency crash and are pretty much united in propping up their investments.

The other market I'm buying real estate in, Brazil, has been very steady the past 5.5 years. https://fipezap.zapimoveis.com.br/

I've been waiting for a downturn, but the favorable exchange rate and my nervousness here prompted me to make the moves recently.

core holding...

It's so undervalued I just don't get it. That's probably why my 11 YO daughters portfolio has done better than mine up until this crash. If only she didn't have Ford. I intentionally didn't warn my daughters because I want them to follow Buffett's words of investing wisdom and not be like their dad.

Foreign real estate.

I was 100% cash too three days before the crash. Talked my coworker into getting out the day before. He's thanked me every day since. All of that cash is now taking advantage of our awesome currency exchange rates with the Argentinian peso and the Brazilian real and buying up real estate. The problem in Buenos Aires is that most high-end sellers want to do business in dollars. They learned many years ago with their last currency crash and are pretty much united in propping up their investments.

The other market I'm buying real estate in, Brazil, has been very steady the past 5.5 years. https://fipezap.zapimoveis.com.br/

I've been waiting for a downturn, but the favorable exchange rate and my nervousness here prompted me to make the moves recently.

Seems the trend is global QE. New Zealand just announced theirs. So what if the entire world did QE?

with a long term outlook, not a bad idea to DCA and buy in now for some quality names.

I'm still holding several puts options and will continue to hold through another 3-4 wks while this virus plays out.

Seems the trend is global QE. New Zealand just announced theirs. So what if the entire world did QE?

The Federal Reserve just suggested there's no upper bound to our QE this morning. The governments are trying to make loans cheaper, but I don't think that will solve the unemployment and consumer confidence issues. The markets are going to nosedive when they release those statistics soon.

I'm talking about broader currency slides like those in South America or Russia. Ultimately, its to take advantage of quick real estate purchases. I wanted to retire now and this is the only way I can think of to protect the bulk of my savings.

Yay Gilead!!!!

...but I don't think that will solve the unemployment and consumer confidence issues. The markets are going to nosedive when they release those statistics soon.

Well, looks like I was wrong on that one. The gov has done a good job supporting the markets so far by printing money and giving it out like crazy. Let's see what happens in a few weeks....

because people are thirsty for any positive news...and they bought risk this whole week...what the drug offers is a possible anti death backstop for the really sick folks...

I was late 30's a few years ago when I developed shingles on my face and quickly learned that the three major shingle anti-virals don't do much... even when you catch it early. Vaccinations are the best defense if available. Uh oh, hope I don't upset the anti-vaxxers.

This is probably the easiest read on the latest COVID-19 vaccination development status:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41573-020-00073-5

depends on the virus target cells...nerve cells are a sneaky place to live....tough to get at..

depends on the virus target cells...nerve cells are a sneaky place to live....tough to get at..

That's correct. Anti-virals that inhibit replication usually aren't the best solution because certain viruses may be difficult to get to depending on the type of cells they target (or obviously when they're dormant and not replicating). My one and only personal experience with anti-virals backed that up.

The human body natural defense is still the best whether it's from attenuated or inactivated vaccinations. Problem is the time involved to develop them. For example, the original live attenuated measles vaccination took 10 years of repeated culturing....

At least virology will be more widely known and thought about...maybe some very bright young minds will be compelled to study and take up the challenge to eradicate harmful virion..

Good for you! Best of luck with that.:cool:

yay for moderna.....I rarely sell my investments but I had to take a double on cmg....its burritos for 1000 a share....:wink:

Back