• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tuning Choices

Having the belief that the honda brain is the best engineered and that piggy backing something to it (Comptech solution) to give broad adjustments and trick the Honda ecu as opposed to AEM type no piggy back option being are only choices/options . I belive the AEM is a cleaner choice but you loose some or all the factory sensors with out add on serial guage or PC plugged in and there is another $1400.00 tagged on to price.Could not the factory chip maps be read and then tweaked/tuned so as to remap the chip on the Honda ECU to do the tuning for the forced induction?

GREAT question! I have a dali chip. I soddered on a zif socket after desoddering the stock chip and looked at the raw data on a pc via my moates usb chip burner/reader. There should be a way just like I did on a p28 acura gsr ECU running a freeware program like uberdata to do everything hondata(tm) did and run it on my h22a prelude motor. I was able to mess with boost tables, ignition high cam/low cam, datalog it via USB etc, etc, all on a factory honda ecu... SO someone please lend so further knowledge.

Yea, most people would tell you to allways go standalone when your gonna do FI, and i would have to agree, but i have tuned very succesfully with piggyback systems in the past. There is no technical reason why it couldnt work VERY well on an OBD-1 system. The problem with the OBD-II's is that it can self correct to adjust your corrections, thus, lean out your tune, cause detonation and a whole lot of problems.

We have been working a lot with the new E-Manage Ultimate system and integrating it into plug and play operation on the IS300's. There is a load of features and it has a preset map loaded in it for the NA1 NSX's so technically you can plug it in and be allready to tune it on a dyno.

It would at least be a place to start, and its relativly inexpensive compared to the AEM.

It is also possible to "burn" or "chip" the stock ecu using the freeware "Chrome" tuning software for hondas. It has been done on NSX's before, but its kinda on the down low, and no one really has any info on this forum. Do some searching on honda tech and you can get some info on it. My local shop has been tuning with chrome forever so i plan on having them burn a new chip on a custom tune when the car arrives.

da3dalus said:
It is also possible to "burn" or "chip" the stock ecu using the freeware "Chrome" tuning software for hondas. It has been done on NSX's before, but its kinda on the down low, and no one really has any info on this forum. Do some searching on honda tech and you can get some info on it. My local shop has been tuning with chrome forever so i plan on having them burn a new chip on a custom tune when the car arrives.

Crome currently does not support the PR7 ecu. Whatever software was used to tune those NSX's wasn't done with a Crome, i'm pretty sure of that. John Cui has never mentioned supporting any 6 cylinder honda ECU's on his website or PGMFI.

Also, just and FYI, I would shy away from the Greddy E-manange systems. They are very tempting at their price point, however they come with nothing but problems. I've worked with them on MANY different vehicles and they always end up with runnability issues (beyond the scope of this conversation, but I will discuss if interested). The owners have always ended up switching to a different system to resolve these issues.

I have over 7 years tuning experience, racing honda's and building honda engines.

Just my $0.02...

Sockeye said:
I belive the AEM is a cleaner choice but you loose some or all the factory sensors with out add on serial guage or PC plugged in and there is another $1400.00 tagged on to price.

As I mentioned to you on the phone yesterday, the AEM is plug and play and replaces the OEM ecu, however it does NOT cause any issues with the existing gauges in the OEM gauge cluster. Original factory gauges and functionality remain the same.

Last edited:
C-speed said:
Crome currently does not support the PR7 ecu. Whatever software was used to tune those NSX's wasn't done with a Crome, i'm pretty sure of that. John Cui has never mentioned supporting any 6 cylinder honda ECU's on his website or PGMFI.

Also, just and FYI, I would shy away from the Greddy E-manange systems. They are very tempting at their price point, however they come with nothing but problems. I've worked with them on MANY different vehicles and they always end up with runnability issues (beyond the scope of this conversation, but I will discuss if interested). The owners have always ended up switching to a different system to resolve these issues.

I have over 7 years tuning experience, racing honda's and building honda engines.

Just my $0.02...

Yea, you are right. I cant remember what it was, but it was something free like uberdata or something similar. But yea, its not chrome.

I also agree with you on the e-manage systems. I must say though that this latest ultimate version is eons ahead of what the last "blue" version had in terms of features. Some of the stuff is really neat like being able to autotune off of a wideband o2 signal at WOT, etc, that just is really kind of innovative.

If i was turbo'ing an NSX though, i would AEM it and forget about it. I think the freeware options for some N/A tuning are where i'm going to focus my time on and hopefully contribute some new solutions to this community other than the dali/sos black boxes currently on the market.

da3dalus said:
Yea, you are right. I cant remember what it was, but it was something free like uberdata or something similar. But yea, its not chrome.

I also agree with you on the e-manage systems. I must say though that this latest ultimate version is eons ahead of what the last "blue" version had in terms of features. Some of the stuff is really neat like being able to autotune off of a wideband o2 signal at WOT, etc, that just is really kind of innovative.

If i was turbo'ing an NSX though, i would AEM it and forget about it. I think the freeware options for some N/A tuning are where i'm going to focus my time on and hopefully contribute some new solutions to this community other than the dali/sos black boxes currently on the market.

da3dalus: Are you on the PGMFI forums?

Maybe Mikey from FACTORX can help. He did tell me he worked for JUN and help development of the JUN NSX chip in the past. Mikey so what kind of program did JUN use to chip the PR7?

On my first turbo project with the NSX, HONDATA was contacted to help with the tuning and burning of a chip for OBD2. Either they were unsuccessful or uninterested because I was told that it couldn't be done. Currently, we are planning on an MSL-AEM unit for a 98 NSX. Considered a HKS FCON PRO like FX but was worried about finding someone to retune in the future without having to have Mike do it again.

afterburners said:
Maybe Mikey from FACTORX can help. He did tell me he worked for JUN and help development of the JUN NSX chip in the past. Mikey so what kind of program did JUN use to chip the PR7?

The program was called TechTom. I worked on that back in the day with MJ, so in a round about way you can say your chip is a JUN chip:)

jorligan said:
On my first turbo project with the NSX, HONDATA was contacted to help with the tuning and burning of a chip for OBD2. Either they were unsuccessful or uninterested because I was told that it couldn't be done. Currently, we are planning on an MSL-AEM unit for a 98 NSX. Considered a HKS FCON PRO like FX but was worried about finding someone to retune in the future without having to have Mike do it again.

We actually hold the rights to the Hondata chip for the NSX, we put quite a bit of time and money into it and were not completely satisfied with the results so we did not release it. The HKS Pro Tuners are some of the best in the county, you can always have Jon K. at HKS retune it if I am not available:smile:

ALOT of us have been around the block with the above mentioned controllers such as the e-manage,safc, split second for piggys and hks and aem for stand alone.
my question is has anyone noticed the STEEP increase in cost for the aem,I saw netviper refer to his aem in an ad in the sale section and was blown away by the 100% increase from a short 18 months ago. WHAT GIVES? now that the bugs are worked out and lots of base maps readily available driving prices that high. please some insight on this for me. TIA as I dont see the other ems units doing this large spike in price.I really like the aem and want to use it on several motors coming my way but damn I dont like getting hammered for 2500.if it was just one car-motor I could justify it but on 3 or 4 it really adds up for a 'hobby' just my 02.please some opinions.
best regards David

Back