• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

tuning strategies with E85 FlexFuel

E85 Tuning Strategies
ScienceofSpeed, LLC

E85, or FlexFuel, has become popular with performance enthusiasts. In addition to its environmental benefits, the fuel allows high performance engines to operate at higher cylinder pressures producing more power due to ethanol's charge air cooling and increased anti-knock properties. ScienceofSpeed has prepared this summary of tuning strategies for E85 FlexFuel for customers interested in using this fuel.

E85, or FlexFuel, is an abbreviation for a fuel blend of approximately 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline - however the exact ratio can vary significantly based on locale and season. ASTM 5798 specifies that fuel may be labeled as E85 even with an allowable ethanol content of 51-83%.

Ethanol contains less energy by volume compared to gasoline. Having a way of monitoring the content of ethanol in the fuel to adjust for fuel delivery volume is critical for reliable operation of the engine. Vehicles you may have seen labeled with "FlexFuel" badges are supplied by the original manufactures with a fuel composition sensor. The sensor produces an electrical signal which varies depending on the content of ethanol in the fuel.

For performance applications, due to the variance of ethanol content out of the pump, simply draining the fuel tank to switch between gasoline and E85 is not sufficient for reliable operation of the engine. Popular aftermarket engine management systems from AEM and Haltech (with others in development) now allow these same fuel composition sensors to be integrated to the ECU for monitoring and adjusting injector pulse width (the fuel volume supplied to the engine), ignition, and boost pressure to allow seamless adjustment between fuels. ScienceofSpeed offers complete plug-and-play E85 FlexFuel Sensor Systems designed to allow the sensor to be integrated into vehicles not originally equipped with FlexFuel sensors.

ScienceofSpeed E85 FlexFuel System - NSX, all years

FLEXFUELNSX_450.jpg

Two considerations should also be made when deciding to use E85 fuel. The first is your fuel system. Your fuel system must be up to the task of supplying approximately 30% more fuel volume for the same horsepower as gasoline. Calculators available from websites such as RC Engineering (http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx) can be used to gain an idea of your fuel requirements. Generally, we have found a BSFC value of .73-.80 can be used for efficient Honda engines. For an example, a NSX 6 cylinder engine producing 600 BHP horsepower with E85 at a BSFC of .78, an injector duty of 80%, and a fuel rail pressure of 56 PSI would require 903 cc/min per injector and 325 L/hr of net fuel flow. Injector sizing and fuel pump capacity should be chosen based on these calculations. Secondly, due to ethanol's corrosive nature, the fuel system's various components must be chemically compatible with ethanol. While many modern OEM fuel systems are designed for some amount of ethanol content, not all are specifically designed for high concentrations of ethanol. Fuel system components should be verified to be compatible and the frequency of fuel system inspection should be increased.

To tune the engine for use with gasoline and E85, two separate calibrations will be performed by tuning for one extreme of minimal ethanol and one extreme of maximum ethanol content. The engine management system will then automatically interpolate between these extremes depending on varying content of ethanol in the fuel.

It must be first considered that most gasoline available from the pump is "oxygenated" or containing around 10-15% ethanol. In addition, "E85" from the pump can vary in ethanol content, usually around 70-85%. Ideally, non-oxygenated 91 octane (R+M)/2 gasoline (0% ethanol) and neat (~100%) ethanol would be used. Non-oxygenated 91 octane fuel is available from retailers such as marine stores. 98% fuel ethanol, sold as E98 is available from retailers such as Ignite Fuels. E98 can be relatively expensive due to the costs of shipping a flammable fluid like this (a 55 gallon drum for example costs around $3-4 / gallon for the fuel, but with shipping, the costs can easily be $10-12 / gallon). Although it can come at a great expense, tuning with E98 is a one time operation to verify that your engine will be tuned properly and is worth the investment. ScienceofSpeed stocks E98 - and your tuner may as well.

The frequency based composition sensor used by ScienceofSpeed is powered by +12V and ground by the ECU. The sensor outputs a varying digital square wave frequency and pulse width. The engine management system interprets this signal to an ethanol content percentage and fuel temperature (temperature is used by some ECUs to correct for sensor accuracy at ethanol content percentage extremes). The AEM EMS (Series 2) must be updated to v02x01 or later firmware and AEMTuner software must be v3.2 or later. The ECU must be setup to indicate which input is used for FlexFuel content (AEM EMS: FlexFuel tab, options window). ScienceofSpeed uses the default switch input "Switch 2". The Rising and Falling Edge options must be turned On (in this example Sw2 Rising Edge and Sw2 Falling Edge are set to On). If these options are not on the options window in your workspace, right click the options window and add them from the list.

Two separate calibrations will then be made. We suggest completing a tune with fresh 91 octane gasoline first since this is most likely to already be in the fuel tank. Then, completely drain fuel tank and replace fuel with E85 (preferably E98). Options for FlexFuel (Crank Advance and Failsafes) must be configured, and separate fuel & ignition tables for FlexFuel will then be configured (see ECU manufactures instructions for details - AEM EMS: http://tinyurl.com/lsusfzx). After tuning and setup is complete, it may be ideal to then vary ethanol content by adding gasoline to decrease ethanol content and verify engine operation. Once configured, the driver can then use any concentration of gasoline or E85 and the ECU will automatically vary fuel delivery, ignition, and boost pressures.

Chris,

why is simply draining the tank not sufficient? What about draining the tank, then a 100% refill with easy driving for 40-50 miles and then adding another 3 gallons to top off?

Cause e85 at the pump not always consistent from season to season its can be anywhere from 51%-83% ethanol like christ said. If u tuned for 85% ethanol in summer by the winter it might be 70% ethanol at the same pump. Ur car gonna run a little richer but it might knock and blow ur motor cause of 15% less of ethanol

Cause e85 at the pump not always consistent from season to season its can be anywhere from 51%-83% ethanol like christ said. If u tuned for 85% ethanol in summer by the winter it might be 70% ethanol at the same pump. Ur car gonna run a little richer but it might knock and blow ur motor cause of 15% less of ethanol

what does consistency have to do with emptying the tank? The inconsistency of e85 affects the tune regardless of whether or not I have 91 octane in the previous tank.

1. It is unlikely that you can completely drain the tank of gasoline.
2. Even if you could, if you tune on one day using the "E85" out of the pump that is actually 70% then the fill 85%, with out a sensor to make adjustments, your fuel mixture, ignition, and manifold pressure (boost) settings will not be correct, potentially leading to engine damage.

Nice product. Wish I could use this with the series 1 AEM ECU. Our E85 blends in MN vary drastically through the seasons. We just tune for the worst we get during our driving seasons.

Chris / SOS - FYI, your link above to your site for this NSX product. The first sentence on your site has S2000 instead of NSX.

Found an easy to use tester for E85. will tell you your mix. Was under $20. I think the utility of this would be to test what you're putting in. If it's under what you're tuned for, then obviously drive easy till you can put in better fuel.

So the E85 is usually 85 in summer, 70 in winter? is that correct?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-36-e85/overview/

also... whats the effective octane difference between E70/85/98?

Last edited:
I would not recommend doing this in my experience.

The problem is not the octane difference between different blends. The issue is the oxygen content which will have a large impact on your air/fuel ratio regardless if you drive it easy or not.

Found an easy to use tester for E85. will tell you your mix. Was under $20. I think the utility of this would be to test what you're putting in. If it's under what you're tuned for, then obviously drive easy till you can put in better fuel.

So the E85 is usually 85 in summer, 70 in winter? is that correct?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-36-e85/overview/

also... whats the effective octane difference between E70/85/98?

This is an excellent way of testing e-85...The way it works is the alcohol absorbs the water and the gas doesnt. After you leave it settle, sometimes overnite, it is very obvious on the ethanol content in the fuel you are using. You only need a glass measuring cup to do this. In my experience it has been a good way of piece of mind.

Nice product. Wish I could use this with the series 1 AEM ECU. Our E85 blends in MN vary drastically through the seasons. We just tune for the worst we get during our driving seasons.

Chris / SOS - FYI, your link above to your site for this NSX product. The first sentence on your site has S2000 instead of NSX.

There are options out there to read a flexfuel sensor wired up to your aem series one ECU, and then use that information to control two different fuel & ignition maps, using the nitrous settings. It won't be able to blend the two maps but you can run either one or the other based upon your flex fuel content you demand, all automatically. Tuning for worst-case scenario is never a bad idea though anyway. It would require some money to be spent, likely would justify moving up to a series 2 though.

Last edited:
1. It is unlikely that you can completely drain the tank of gasoline.
2. Even if you could, if you tune on one day using the "E85" out of the pump that is actually 70% then the fill 85%, with out a sensor to make adjustments, your fuel mixture, ignition, and manifold pressure (boost) settings will not be correct, potentially leading to engine damage.

I would not recommend doing this in my experience.

The problem is not the octane difference between different blends. The issue is the oxygen content which will have a large impact on your air/fuel ratio regardless if you drive it easy or not.

I've always given customers base maps to drive out a couple tanks of E85 before a tune. I have had someone drain a tank as best he could, but still had him drive out a tank of E85 before I would touch the car.

Between 70% and 85%, I do not place much worry. CL will target Lambda and the addition % of gas will cause it to run richer at OL. For huge swings, I would worry, but not winter/summer mix so much.

Although I like the idea of being able to run a sensor to measure ethanol percentage and adjust the tune on the fly, I have yet to use one. Maybe one of these days I'll sit down with my S2000 and install a sensor to use with my AEM and play with it a bit for fun... So I may place an order with you :).

I've tuned a crap load of Subaru's on E85 and have yet to actually test the E85. I do run much higher timing and boost, but I'm not trying to run them at MBT in the event that someone could get a bad tank of fuel (which can happen on gas too).

Where I could see this benefiting me personally, is when I take the car on a long trip and don't want to have to worry about mapping out my stops based on stagtions that carry E85.

I am very happy to report that with the SOS SC, water cooled intercooler, and SOS flex fuel E85 conversion kit I made:

467rwhp at 7900RPM (if I hit redline the tune felt that I would have been at 480rwhp since the line on the chart just kept going up)

This is at 13psi during a 85F summer evening

Full exhaust, but cats were on the car and my K&N intake was dirty.

my E85 blend with pump gas read around 73% ethanol.

I canʻt help to wonder if my car was in the middle of a cool winter, test pipes and a cleaned K&N filter that I might be in the 500RWHP club .........

It feels faster than the 600HP tuned F458 that my friend let me flog and stand on the gas pedal.....

Back