• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Type-S Announced

underwhelmed by these updates...IMO this would have been a nice yearly update BUT NOT a Type S update. Still a very very nice setup that anyone will enjoy. Does anyone know if the new turbos are better than the ones they are replacing? Curious if tuning will yield even more power with the new turbos.

So, no changes to the infotainment? There had been rumors of a new screen, but I didn't see any mention of it in the announcement.

So, no changes to the infotainment? There had been rumors of a new screen, but I didn't see any mention of it in the announcement.

I saw some pics of the interior and it looks the same on the infotainment front...:mad:

I love the changes and the car looks really aggressive. I think the front update is much better than the old version. It's a shame this facelift won't go forward for 2023 and 2024. The NC1 was already striking, but man this car looks amazing. A little disappointed that you have to spend 13k to get a "lightweight" package (a Type-S should come with weight reduction as standard) and it only drops 58 lbs.

The turbos and the intercoolers come off of the GT3 race car. So that is nice to know. As for weight savings you can purchase just the ceramic brakes. By getting the package it is actually cheaper than individually ordering the inside carbon fiber and engine cover in carbon fiber. I was really pleased that the carbon fiber roof came back as it was a special that probably would be difficult to reproduce in aftermarket components. Overall I think the car is nicely done. Some may argue that they do not like the S spec label. However, when you look at past S spec NSX you will see that there was not a lot of major changes. All were really subtle. The new car has tuned transmission shifting, tuned struts, tuned sound, and many other things that will not be easily duplicated. There are two things I must validate before placing my order today or tomorrow. I need to measure my space in the garage and make sure we can still open the frig... And I need to be happy with the brake color and wheel color. Otherwise I think this car is a standout. Most likely we can add SOS downpipes. I will need to verify that the dimensions have not changed.

Well, after the big reveal, I came away with the distinct impression that Honda corporate told the engineers to tweak and update the car, and squeeze everything they could out of the current platform without any major financial expenditure. And I do think that the engineers succeeded in coming up with an improved car. Certainly not the 750 HP cover car that some had hoped for. But Honda is conservative..... I think that the limitation in HP was more about upper limits of what the current gearbox can support and not about Honda's ability to produce a 750 HP engine hybrid package.

In 2017, my purchase was aided by a $43K total discount, which brought the car into the very upper limits of what I could afford at the time, but I jumped at the opportunity and I am so glad that I did. It's been a great ownership experience.

But with the cost of the current car, even if I sold my 17' for top dollar, I am looking at a $50-60K upgrade cost, and this does not include sales tax and any dealer ad on pricing? For those that have the financial wherewithal to write a check for one, more power to you! I will look forward to the reviews of the car and it's performance as we go forward. I think all of the changes made sense, and time will be the judge..... But for now, I will keep the old 17'. If the $30K rebates come back Dec of 2023, I'll look into it. Long live the NSX!

The GT3 uses stock intercoolers and a slightly revised chra. Since it’s a stock housing and assumed stock turbofold your SOS downpipes should be fine. They should be able to refine the JB4 to allow for more boost bared on this for the Type S. Sure Terry Burger and SOS guys would be game for a test mule ;)

“To make up for it, Acura applies more turbo boost to the 3.5-liter V-6 with upgraded bearings and propellers in the stock housings to create 550 hp and 475 pound-feet of torque.

That leaves the race car 23 hp and just 1 lb-ft shy of the street car. The racing engine also gets an external oil filler to replenish quicker while endurance racing.

The intercoolers are stock, but the radiator and air boxes aren't due to the added cooling that's needed for racing.”

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1123990_the-acura-nsx-versus-the-nsx-gt3-evo-race-car

There is alot of leeway with just type S(subtle)...type R would never happen unless they were going to continue...The civic type R is really a different car than a standard civic..that said the initial "cost not an issue" buyers will order...then the big pricing factor will be what's left...The car then becomes a widget in the supply/demand curve...being patient may yield some benefits...the risk of being left out is assumed.

I ordered Long Beach Blue, fairly basic build. Super excited

There is alot of leeway with just type S(subtle)...type R would never happen unless they were going to continue...The civic type R is really a different car than a standard civic..that said the initial "cost not an issue" buyers will order...then the big pricing factor will be what's left...The car then becomes a widget in the supply/demand curve...being patient may yield some benefits...the risk of being left out is assumed.
The difference in the CTR vs a standard Civic is quite dramatic. It's arguably a different car in all the areas that matter performance wise. Bespoke Engine. Bespoke suspension all the way down to the dampers and control arm geometry. Interior etc... Though one must also account for the fact Honda sells a gagillion standard Civics to subsidize the cost of a Type R variant.

Congrats! The perfect complement to the Zanardi.

I think so, was torn on the color. Barely slept last night. Wish they had more choices but it's okay.

The matte paint is an interesting choice by Acura. They certainly stepped out of the conservative Acura box on the matte paint and front end design.

The red seat belts annoy me because they should have done that from day 1. :biggrin:

The matte paint is an interesting choice by Acura. They certainly stepped out of the conservative Acura box on the matte paint and front end design.

The red seat belts annoy me because they should have done that from day 1. :biggrin:

do you know if they are still doing the buyer PMC experience?

I think the matte grey will be a good add. That and the aggressive facia design will lower the average age of the buyers IMO.

do you know if they are still doing the buyer PMC experience?

I was told Yes, and if that's accurate I'm going for sure.

I would go just to see that crazy subterranean dyno emerge from the floor..:eek:

Still think that the Signature Y wheels are the best wheel design of all the variants & options on the NC1 - pity they were not available in markets outside North America.

Does anyone know if the Type S body changes were designed by Michelle Christensen before she left, or if not, then by who?

somebody like me that likes how Lambo does the front and rear..:wink:

Still think that the Signature Y wheels are the best wheel design of all the variants & options on the NC1 - pity they were not available in markets outside North America.

Does anyone know if the Type S body changes were designed by Michelle Christensen before she left, or if not, then by who?

Agreed. I don't love the wheels but needless to say to might change once I see the actual car. I love the Y spokes, might throw a set on my wife's TLX A Spec.

No saddle or blue interior options this time

Funny that the red calipers on the carboceramics cost less than the other colors

When I specced my 2017 the black calipers cost less than the other colors

Given how disjointed and jarring the new front and rear is compared to the rest of the car, not to mention how long ago she left Acura, I'm quite confident in saying she had nothing to do with it.

I like the cosmetic updates..but bemoan the loss of the Y wheels..

Back