• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Type-S Announced

Honestly, i think if you dont have an order in, you're too late.

I havent seen a comprehensive list of NSX certified stores. I'm guessing the number of certified stores is in the 125-150 range.

I was told as a top 30 store, do not expect more than 3 allocations.

I dont think they will. i think they're moving on to other things.

I was saying the same thing. where were all of these people for the past 4 years?

Pre-covid when I would take the car to Cars and Coffee events I would have guys say I will pick one up when they drop below $100K, so basically fence sitting.

This announcement appears to have moved folks off the fences.

What would be fun to know is how many straw buyers the bad dealers have used to place orders to fill the order book.

the car is "oversubscribed"...but come Sept they will separate the hail Mary orders from dealers with no certified techs, and figure out the most equitable and fair distribution.They may be able to build a few more than planned..Bottom line there will be some crying and empty promises...

Then they mysteriously back out.

I kind of see it as a way for the bad actors to jack up prices on these units once they physically have them, assuming the market stays positive to these cars.

Straw buyer car is shipped to dealer, straw buyer doesn't complete transaction, dealer places car on showroom floor with market adjustment.

Wouldn't Acura be able to reallocate the car to a different dealer if a straw buyer cancels?

Aren't the $10k deposits non refundable?

Wouldn't Acura be able to reallocate the car to a different dealer if a straw buyer cancels?

Aren't the $10k deposits non refundable?
Yes. Per the 22 playbook: Orders cancelled prior to production lock will be filled by next slot on the waitlist. Orders cancelled after will go to next client who accepts that configuration.

They are refundable at any point. At least in California they are.

Last edited:
The way my over-imaginative mind is playing it, the order is never cancelled, the $10,000 is likely the dealer's money (which the dealer holds) and the straw buyer gets something for their minimal effort from the dealer on the side.

Me thinks the people on this forum are vastly underestimating the true demand for this car. I also think the attention the Type S is attracting will bring attention to the 17-21 cars in a favorable way. The “new” NSX has always been under appreciated and I feel that is going to change going forward. In my opinion, we have seen the bottom of the NC1 market.

I would say if you are not #1 at a smaller dealer with a cert tech and are outside the top 2 at the higher volume big stores you will have to wait for the robb report flippers or look at other makes...

Pre-covid when I would take the car to Cars and Coffee events I would have guys say I will pick one up when they drop below $100K, so basically fence sitting.

This announcement appears to have moved folks off the fences.

I confess, I said the same exact thing. Pre-covid plenty of examples were readily available for $115-125k. One of the few instances were procrastinating actually helped me. Now starts the wait though.

FWIW, I think there's a ton of misinformation being spread around about the order process and allocation.

please elaborate....

When the 2017s first came out and the dealers were forced to buy the display stand etc the first word on the street was that the entire first year production run was “sold out”. Our local dealers then started charging $25k and up as AMV and we ended up seeing a disappointing debut and a bunch of angry early adopters.

It is interesting to see how a car that didn’t sell despite trunk money would get relatively minor tweaks and suddenly sell out in a couple of days. I realize it’s the theoretical “end” of the NSX but are there that many fence sitters willing to pony up msrp because they throw an “S” on it? A type “R” I could understand but this is essentially the same car that couldn’t sell double digits per month.

Then again I don’t understand that BAT sale of $180k for a first gen non-zanardi either. I guess there is a small enough inventory that these types of sales are possible but despite how good the car is it really is somewhat puzzling to me.

Last edited:
When the 2017s first came out and the dealers were forced to buy the display stand etc the first word on the street was that the entire first year production run was “sold out”. Our local dealers then started charging $25k and up as AMV and we ended up seeing a disappointing debut and a bunch of angry early adopters.

It is interesting to see how a car that didn’t sell despite trunk money would get relatively minor tweaks and suddenly sell out in a couple of days. I realize it’s the theoretical “end” of the NSX but are there that many fence sitters willing to pony up msrp because they throw an “S” on it? A type “R” I could understand but this is essentially the same car that couldn’t sell double digits per month.

Then again I don’t understand that BAT sale of $180k for a first gen non-zanardi either. I guess there is a small enough inventory that these types of sales are possible but despite how good the car is it really is somewhat puzzling to me.

As has been said in many ways, the folks who were not economically crushed by Covid last year made money, lots of it (and this year is ok too).

My example, I am 63, last year, excluding gains in real estate appreciation, between my day job, real estate and the stock market I grossed 115 times what I made the first year out of college. Yes, there are plenty of expenses and taxes to account for but after the dust settled there was a lot left over.

Fun cars, boats, etc are in demand.

well than there will be some disappointed 1 and 2% ers...

History will repeat it self.....with a lot of speculation driving this "demand"

There are 15 allocated to Canada, and I would predict that these will sit on Dealers Showroom until they liquidate them.

Bram

Thanks for sharing the video

Some if it felt like noise

Referring to the lending freeze of 2008 and Wells Fargo (the bank I refer to as a non stop white collar crime spree) not doing personal lines of credit have nothing to do with buying an NSX

I wish the guy all the best but it felt like he is over leveraged (intentionally to maximize his property investment opportunities)

Where I kind of get concerned is if I heard him correctly, he pretty much financed 100% of his MB.

I wish him all the best but crap happens and if you are over leveraged a couple of problems can sink your skip fast (he himself pointed to this)

lol... i was thinking the same thing. This guy and probably a lot of guys in the exotic car world are in the same position, they should not be buying a car.

IMO i think it's because the NC1 is underappreciated and the JDM market is now the craze... kind of like how i told everyone about K-Pop music (i'm korean) for 15-20 years and now that BTS is blowing up, everyone just loves it.

I think the refresh really hit the nail on the head, it looks 10x better IMO as a consumer. I owned a 2017 nouvelle and i actually enjoyed everything about the car besides the looks..(sometimes the sound but can be fixed). The rear lacked emotion and looked like it could be the front of the car, vice versa with the front. Now with the new sharp angles and more aggressive rear, it has presence. Sure the technology is still the same and lacks all the nice goodies like (front axle lift, blind spot, great infotainment) but the ICE tech is now more versed. Every manufacturer has announced hybrid and now its recognized as the future instead of it being criticized. It's kind of like the nerdy kid in high school that was playing computer games, collecting pokemon cards, and playing magic... back then it wasn't cool but NOW its the THING. So really the kid knew what genuinely was worth his time/money/effort.

History will repeat it self.....with a lot of speculation driving this "demand"

There are 15 allocated to Canada, and I would predict that these will sit on Dealers Showroom until they liquidate them.

Bram

I thought this myself but honestly this car will sell and it's turning more heads from actual big boy buyers. I have many wealthy wealthy car collector friends wanting this car. The timing of a refresh/limited production JDM car is spot on. I wouldn't be surprised if somehow they made another run at this production but then again maybe they are just tired of this iteration and want to move forward with the Integra/ full EV NSX. Also the pricing is right, i honestly thought it was going to be at 220 or so but at the base price, its a steal of a car for the extra upgrades.

Last edited:
Lol....Ohio style....ODM

I was expecting the Type S to come in at $225K to $250K but with a major horsepower increase. However, it is really a bargain. My 2017 had an MSRP of $200.5K without a premium paint option and without full leather. So in my eyes the S Type at MSRP is a way better deal for the $ if you don't figure in the incentives that became available for the NC1s. As DrManny3 has pointed out, the car has now been finessed in addition to the exterior styling enhancements.

I suspect that a large percentage of orders for the S Type have come from prior or current owners of the NC1 who already love and appreciate the car for what it is. I think another strong group comprises people who were thinking about a new NC1 and obviously a limited production S Type at a lower price with many enhancements is may have caused them to pull the trigger on the purchase. And then you have the car collector/investor types for whom any limited production, high end specialty car might be worthy of investment whether they hold them long term or try to flip the car. I personally hope the majority of sales go to people who will actually drive the cars. I recall when Lexus came out with the LFA they wanted buyers to fall into the "I will drive and use the car" category.

I don't think the S Type swayed many people who are in the market for a Lambo or Ferrari - the brand just isn't strong enough for the "brand snobs". For example, the lady my daughter befriended who had a 2021 Huracan Evo just traded that car in for a Huracan STO even though she was very impressed by my NSX. She told my daughter that the NSX just doesn't carry the brand recognition that she needs for the circle she interacts with. She's head of IT for a local corporation and is heavily involved with the Beverly Hills crowd.

As the former project manager on the GMC Syclone and Typhoon programs I do take exception to the comments that the NC1 project managers were sitting on their hands for 4 years and didn't understand the marketplace. That may not necessarily be the case. Senior corporate management often provides the directives and limits what can be done for shorter term financial reasons. Often these types of decisions are made by financial types who aren't real automotive enthusiasts. The project managers are often genuine auto enthusiasts who are "restrained" by various corporate "checks and balances".

Last edited:
I think the refresh really hit the nail on the head, it looks 10x better IMO as a consumer. I owned a 2017 nouvelle and i actually enjoyed everything about the car besides the looks..(sometimes the sound but can be fixed). The rear lacked emotion and looked like it could be the front of the car, vice versa with the front. Now with the new sharp angles and more aggressive rear, it has presence.

I agree with you 100%. As two time NC1 owner, I used both as daily driver and I drive it a lot. My main dislike was front end, it was just too busy. My first one was 17 130R at over $200k MSRP, second one 19 Berlina Black. I went Berlina Black because black blend in the front a bit more and looks stealthy. I will pick up type S regardless if I get allocation or not, it be my fifth NSX. I do hope the Type S go to true enthusiasts and not to flippers, especially people who previously supported NC1 deserves a consideration.

Last edited:
Interesting that you refer to this AS JDM!!!

Bram

is the company not Japanese? i feel as though if its a japanese brand.. its considered JDM even if its manufactured in America, the new supra is JDM even if its a BMW but thats my 2 cents

I agree with you 100%. As two time NC1 owner, I used both as daily driver and I drive it a lot. My main dislike was front end, it was just too busy. My first one was 17 130R at over $200k MSRP, second one 19 Berlina Black. I went Berlina Black because black blend in the front a bit more and looks stealthy. I will pick up type S regardless if I get allocation or not, it be my fifth NSX. I do hope the Type S go to true enthusiasts and not to flippers, especially people who previously supported NC1 deserves a consideration.

glad to see you're back! hope you get one and happy to hear you agree. my dealer confirmed on my allocation but just like everyone else on this forum. No "official" call or anything besides the order form

Last edited:
I don't think the S Type swayed many people who are in the market for a Lambo or Ferrari - the brand just isn't strong enough for the "brand snobs". For example, the lady my daughter befriended who had a 2021 Huracan Evo just traded that car in for a Huracan STO even though she was very impressed by my NSX. She told my daughter that the NSX just doesn't carry the brand recognition that she needs for the circle she interacts with. She's head of IT for a local corporation and is heavily involved with the Beverly Hills crowd.

It is true and please let that be the case. Your daughter's friend has legit reason that helps her network and career. In addition, Huracan STO will be more exciting to drive than NSX Type-S.

There are also a group of people who likes brands that are appears to be less showy brands. The second group could be ones that placed most orders. For example a lot of people picked Porsche to use as daily over Ferrari or Lambo, as they are less flashy (some have all of them), but still prefer driving less flashy cars for daily. NC1 NSX is flashy. However, the badge helps reduce that exponentially. For me it is huge plus.

I am not sure if there are a lot of NA1/NA2 owners placed orders for NSX Type S, as there seems to be a group of gen 1 snobs. I love my NA1/NA2 and think it is top 5 of greatest car of all time. But NC1 is a great car, deserved better from that group.

Wow. I’m reading some very insightful, well thought out, experienced comments. It seems the NSX demographic are true car people. I hope to be part of the club soon!

Back