• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

UCLA Student, Speaks outs on Asians in Library

LOL

so is this reinforcements now?

if you have something to say why don't you just come out and say it?

beatdeadhorse51.gif

Hey Danny, this is Jack, how in the hell are ya? :smile:
How did you get to where you're at all these years without the guidance of cmhs 75? :wink:

Jack (in the box)

Doing great and looking forward to hanging out with you guys again. As for cmhs 75, just ignore the ignorance.

Best Regards,

Danny

oh boy, what a chore

Alright, here you go: read carefully,

Video1: Caucasian girl calls out Asians==mistake==> calling others out

Video2: Asian guy makes a lot of insulting remarks (b$tch, can't read, Slu%t ) to the girl in personal and calls out white people and Americans in general==mistake==> personal insults unacceptable, sexual insults unacceptable, and calling people out in retaliation to being called out also unacceptable.

Video3: Asian guy makes very lewd sexual remarks==mistake==> sorry I tried to watch that video again and I stopped a few seconds into watching it again. Somebody should detain that guy and lock him up before he does something to the community.

My first reply:

Caucasian girl calling out Asians = Wrong

1st Asian guy making sexual remarks and calling out whites in retaliation = wrong

2nd Asian guy making lewd sexual remarks as well as whatever God knows is in that video in retaliation = Wrong

Thread replies containing sexual remarks = wrong

End of reply.

Now this is as clear as I can make it out to you. I can't help you any further than this.

Let me precede this post by saying I really have no problems with the video at all. As noted by my post here:

It's really not a big deal. I'm Asian, and I really couldn't care less. Not saying it's right or nice, but people are also just being hyper sensitive.

However, I can certainly understand why some people were offended and I am merely explaining the possible reasons why. Also, please note I’m not singling you out, I’m only using your post as a outline for responses so that some people can better understand the backlash caused by the video.

I’m going to guess you aren’t Asian. The reason I am guessing this is because you don’t have seem to have the deep understanding as to why the original video could be more offensive than just what you are claiming it as “just calling out Asians”. That is a commonality I have experienced with many non-minorities (aka Caucasians) who just have no frame of reference as to what it is like to be discriminated, made fun of, insulted or hated simply on the basis of their race. As a majority, Caucasians, can’t grasp why minorities might possible have a chip on their shoulder or be sensitive in a culture where they are often lumped together (stereotyped), discriminated, or felt left out. It’s hard enough in this country being a minority, then someone goes on Youtube and insults their culture, they way they speak, their family values? That is where the backlash is coming from. Not because they are being “called out” in a public forum.

Look, being called out isn’t the issue. I call out my own race all the time. Asians are freaking horrible drivers. They often smell funny or make some of the most pungent food known to man. And we eat weird stuff. And yes, sometimes the way we speak is funny. That’s being called out. That’s not offensive. What is the issue is that she made comments that speak to a greater underlying general culture that hints at a belief that Caucasians are the majority, and Asians (and other minorities) are the unwelcomed invaders. While that might sound like a total stretch to you, I can assure you that it is completely real and valid. Talk to any Asian at length and I’m sure they can regale you of tales of feeling unwelcomed, like a fish out of water, being told to go back to “China” (even though they are a US born citizen and not even Chinese), made fun of for looking different, etc. It is a common experience that almost every Asian I’ve met and spoken to has had to experience. In fact it’s almost a bonding experience, a collective understanding, a rite of passage. Caucasians have no idea what I’m talking about, but Asians can almost give each other a silent nod of understanding.

Again, it’s not being called out. Most people, including Asians, won’t be offended by people “telling it like it is”. While on Youtube, go ahead and do a search on “Asian jokes”. There is a lot of “calling out” without a lot of uproar as you see here. So you must ask yourself, “why?” The reason is because it her general thinking pattern and tone that Asians are all too familiar with. It is the same general thinking and tone that makes them feel like an outside, unwelcome and sometimes even hated.

There were numerous points where this is demonstrated:

When she refers to Asians as “them”: It is clear that she has an Us vs. Them mentality. As an Asian, I don’t refer to Caucasians as “them”. They are my neighbor, my co-worker, my friend, a stranger, etc. They aren’t a collective whole, they are individuals.

She references “American manners” and Asians lacking them: What exactly is “American manners?” I’m Asian and I’m American. Do I not have “American manners?” Does she not realize that America is a melting pot of many different cultures, including Asian? When she said “American manners” she really implied “Caucasian manners” which again clearly exemplifies her Us Vs. Them mentality.

She mimics Asian speak with “Ching Chong Ting Tong”: I can’t even begin to describe how patently offensive that is to an Asian person. First off, and most obviously, mocks the way they speak. Secondly, it lumps all Asians into some collective whole. We all don’t talk that way. If fact, only the Chinese have a dialect that even remotely resembles a Ching Chong style of speaking. Asians are as diverse as Caucasians but are rarely seen that way (all Asians look alike). Look, I’ve known Caucasians who get offended if you don’t know what state they are from (Texas vs. Oklahoma) let alone call them Canadian or vice versa. It can be incredibly offensive to be called the incorrect Asian culture or lumped into one, especially if you knew the history of many of the Asian nations (war atrocities, feuds etc.)

Look, I could go on and on about the multiple comments that underline a clear general thought pattern of an Us Vs. Them mentality, and a general feeling of disdain and unwelcomeness. I can see these things because I’ve had to. I’ve had to recognize that thought pattern because in the past I’ve been harassed, bullied, or threatened to be beat up by that. People who would want to kick my ass because they felt I didn’t belong, or people would hurl insults at me or tell me to get out of “their” country (for the record, I am a US born citizen and speak fluent English). As a minority, it’s a survival skill I’ve had to develop.

I know it’s impossible to get you to see an entire cultural perception and a lifetime of discrimination in a single post, but I hope I can at least shed some light to you (and others) that things aren't as simple and clear cut as they might seem. There is often more than what is on the surface and if you take the time to understand them, then you might realize that why there is such a collective backlash. It’s not mere coincidence. It’s not that everyone is just super sensitive. There has to be something deeper as to why a collective culture could simultaneously be offended by some comments all at the same time. Hopefully I did a good job of explaining some of them above.

Last edited:
NO- I wasn't living under a rock for the past 10 years

YES- I have seen stupid posts and their comebacks all over the internet

NO- I don't think I should disconnect from the internet just because some low moral individuals chose to expose their true nature on the internet. I just take note.

and

YES- I still think the reply videos I saw here are disgusting and shocking even by the standards of what I usually see on the internet.

The internet is a mean and cruel place. We should weep for all such situations...I'd have no more tears to shed.

This is relatively mild, imho, compared to a lot of other over-the-top rants by stupid people and the incoming reactions.

Methinks you somehow have a bone to pick with Asians by becoming this "upset" over this rather mild situation.

A lot of us have said the reactions were wrong, but you have come on especially strong, condeming the NSX Primers as well as the video replies for being "shocking"... :confused:

Last edited:
The internet is a mean and cruel place. We should weep for all such situations...I'd have no more tears to shed.

This is relatively mild, imho, compared to a lot of other over-the-top rants by stupid people and the incoming reactions.

Methinks you somehow have a bone to pick with Asians by becoming this "upset" over this rather mild situation.

A lot of us have said the reactions were wrong, but you have come on especially strong, condeming the NSX Primers as well as the video replies for being "shocking"... :confused:

I agree with you, however if we go down your road then what’s wrong on Monday will be mild on Tuesday and normal on Wednesday.

Let me precede this post by saying I really have no problems with the video at all. As noted by my post here:

Great post Bryan. Personally I have no problem with the girl's video either, but I totally understand why others would be very offended.

I am sad that the girl had to withdraw from UCLA. It was a in the spur of the moment action that really shouldn't have had any impact. Unfortunately with the power of the internet, her few minutes of lack of critical thinking resonated loudly. That is the power of the social media online.

People should learn the power and wrath of social media. Everything is amplified 100000%. Be careful what you say and how you say it. Things can spread at the speed of light today.

It's a cold, cruel, and sometimes funny world out there. And this is just another painful lesson on social media in the internet. Someday this may be a UCLA case study on how the internet can backfire on you if you're not careful.

Last edited:
I agree with you, however if we go down your road then what’s wrong on Monday will be mild on Tuesday and normal on Wednesday.

Such is the evolution of American society. What was unacceptable in the 80's is acceptable in the 90's. What was unacceptable in the 90's is acceptable in the 00's. I am still appalled by shows like Jackass and others. While I do not condone those types of shows I understand their popularity and attraction to others.

The stuff I see in the movies and TV today would have been XXX rated while I was growing up. The same goes for the internet. For some reason people devolve with mass media over time.

Every once in a while a new event sets a new standard in tastelessness, so what was tasteless before is less so now. The best we can do is to study carefully the devolution and teach our own kids what not to mimic / follow.

That said, this particular situation is far from standard setting...it is rather mild to MOST of the stuff I see online...most of the "EPIC" threads and stuff I've seen. This thread and the situation is far from "EPIC"...and I don't recall anyone being "shocked" at the EPIC threads / events we've had here or other places online.

That's why cmhs75's strong reaction is particularly puzzling to me.

Last edited:
This posting was not meant to be a black,white, yellow, or blue issue. Being 100% chino, I viewed all of the videos as pure humor and entertainment. However, I can understand how some individuals might find this offensive.
Everyone here is just giving their own opinions. No need to call people out or attack on this forum.

In most cases what you say is true but your claim that the situation is "mild" is downplaying the situation a bit. When did sending death threats to family members become "mild"? Do you think that death threats should just be shrugged off? I don't have a problem with these individuals responding to the racists remarks the girl made by video blogs but death threats are not a joking/mild matter.

Last edited:
In most cases what you say is true but your claim that the situation is "mild" is downplaying the situation a bit. When did sending death threats to family members become "mild"? Do you think that death threats should just be shrugged off? I don't have a problem with these individuals responding to the racists remarks the girl made by video blogs but death threats are not a joking/mild matter.

I never said death threats are mild. Nor did I condone them. Nor did I say the girl should withdraw from UCLA. Please read what I say more carefully. No one here made any death threats. The death threats were reported in news articles linked on here, and I didn't see anyone here endorsing them in any manner at all. If someone had endorsed death threats, I would condemn them here immediately. I don't think that is the issue that cmhs75 came to post about. He came to post about our reactions and the videos that were linked, and didn't mention death threats in particular (which we all would agree on).

cmhs75 said the video replies are disgusting and shocking. He found the singing Asian's video so disgusting he couldn't even "finish watching them".

What about the singing Asian's video was so shocking and disgusting??? I am particularly lost on that reaction.

The other guy's video where he kidded about beating up the girl - totally wrong, but again at the end of the video he said he was kidding.

Outside of death threats (which are completely, totally, 100% wrong), I don't see anything here that warrants the type of strong condemnation that was given.

Last edited:
Such is the evolution of American society. What was unacceptable in the 80's is acceptable in the 90's. What was unacceptable in the 90's is acceptable in the 00's. I am still appalled by shows like Jackass and others. While I do not condone those types of shows I understand their popularity and attraction to others.

The stuff I see in the movies and TV today would have been XXX rated while I was growing up. The same goes for the internet. For some reason people devolve with mass media over time.

Every once in a while a new event sets a new standard in tastelessness, so what was tasteless before is less so now. The best we can do is to study carefully the devolution and teach our own kids what not to mimic / follow.

That said, this particular situation is far from standard setting...it is rather mild to MOST of the stuff I see online...most of the "EPIC" threads and stuff I've seen. This thread and the situation is far from "EPIC"...and I don't recall anyone being "shocked" at the EPIC threads / events we've had here or other places online.

That's why cmhs75's strong reaction is particularly puzzling to me.
Devolve? I see it as evolving, but I suppose it depends on your viewpoint.

However, I can certainly understand why some people were offended and I am merely explaining the possible reasons why...

Well said Vega$ NSX. I am not offended by the video but could understand why people would be, that said I do not think it calls for death threats or threats of violence, nor for her to have to leave UCLA. She should consider it a lesson in life and maybe an opportunity to look past some stereotypes.

My heritage is East Indian so I can relate to a lot of what you said and the general lumping together. I can also laugh at my own culture at times too and understand somethings others may not get.

That said if you ever want to laugh at all (I should say a lot, not all) races in a funny light...Russell Peters is probably one of the funniest men I have seen do stand-up...maybe minorities will find it more humorous though as they can relate.

Great post (#79) Bryan as always. The part about being told to "leave their country" made me a little mad but also laugh. Unless they were American Indian it really is not their country either. What everyone needs to remember is that unless you're an American Indian you and/or your ancestors all came from another country. But my real point is if you're an American citizen then it is all "OUR" country.

BTW I'm a mutt, half Italian and half every other country in Europe and married to an Asian(Filipino)

Sorry for getting a little off topic.

Last edited:
I understand the free speach portion as well as the reactions from the Asian community to it. People will react differently to some thing like this similar to MLK v. Black Panthers.
Speaking for UCLA - I could understand if and why the college would take action against her because she represents UCLA as a student and it honestly projects a negative image of the school. Repremanding for the commentary is bad but if she had simply taken UCLA out of the rant ... I dont think the college would have cared.

Hopefully I did a good job of explaining some of them above.

Yes you surely did. Thanks for taking the time to type it all up. I at least for one, appreciated it and learned from it. So I hope you know it was worth your time.

As for the line "Methinks you somehow have a bone to pick with Asians by becoming this upset over this rather mild situation" from NsxMas

No I don't have a bone to pick with Asians and I usually go out once a week for lunch with my Asian friends which I particularly like and find very polite and good natured.

but I do have a bone to pick with those who make sexual comments against girls. I find it very low handed. If you want to get back at someone, you don't use sexual comments to do it no matter how offended you are. That's my point and that's what upsets me greatly. I hope that clarifies my strong reactions here.

and as for the coalition replies, I think I'll have to agree with the "ignore the ignorance" part from now on with them.

but thanks for all the rest of you for your replies.

I never said death threats are mild. Nor did I condone them. Nor did I say the girl should withdraw from UCLA. Please read what I say more carefully. No one here made any death threats. The death threats were reported in news articles linked on here, and I didn't see anyone here endorsing them in any manner at all. If someone had endorsed death threats, I would condemn them here immediately. I don't think that is the issue that cmhs75 came to post about. He came to post about our reactions and the videos that were linked, and didn't mention death threats in particular (which we all would agree on).

cmhs75 said the video replies are disgusting and shocking. He found the singing Asian's video so disgusting he couldn't even "finish watching them".

What about the singing Asian's video was so shocking and disgusting??? I am particularly lost on that reaction.

The other guy's video where he kidded about beating up the girl - totally wrong, but again at the end of the video he said he was kidding.

Outside of death threats (which are completely, totally, 100% wrong), I don't see anything here that warrants the type of strong condemnation that was given.

My apolgizes for the misunderstanding but based from what you posted below I interpretted it differently.

This is relatively mild, imho, compared to a lot of other over-the-top rants by stupid people and the incoming reactions..

I interprested your statement of situation and incoming reaction as everything revolving the story not just the two videos that the we "NSXprime" were speaking about. Regardless I think we are all on the same page here just wanted to clarify why I interpreted it that way.

I got a local kid yesterday saying nihou and then giving me the middle finger. It was not just the middle finger that irritate me (though if I got a cutter I would cut his finger off) but the racist greeting plus the middle finger. The kid looks like 10 years old. I wonder where they got that from. It's like he's saying hey outsider F**k off.

He forgot that it is this outsider with millions other foreign student that help their university stays on by paying full fee charges.

Btw I am malay and not chinese.

Speaking for UCLA - I could understand if and why the college would take action against her because she represents UCLA as a student and it honestly projects a negative image of the school.

Wrong .............. it's all about the money.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lOGpGoEMu2s?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lOGpGoEMu2s?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Did you come across that when you did your Google search for Ting Tong?

I noticed a pic of the girl involved when you posted on the other thread regarding a Ting Tong noise. :biggrin:

Did you come across that when you did your Google search for Ting Tong?

I noticed a pic of the girl involved when you posted on the other thread regarding a Ting Tong noise. :biggrin:

I clicked on the New Posts link and saw that this got kicked back up and remember that my brother showed me this video response.

Back