• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial Big-Wheel Thread: 18/18 and 18/19 - the future for NSX tire sizes

So I am about to pull the trigger on this:

18x8.5 advan RGIII et 45 225/40/18 nitto NT05
19x10. Advan RGIII et 35 275/35/19 nitto NT05

I think that falls within all the parameters you recommended unless I missed something. I think NT05 is slightly more track focused than the pilot super sport so I am just randomly picking that. Hopefully it doesn't run wide like the NT01. I have zero experience with either of these.

Dave,

1) Are you going to wide fenders for that 18x225 up front?

2) Once you've got those in can you weigh the rim with the tire on it?

So I am about to pull the trigger on this:

18x8.5 advan RGIII et 45 225/40/18 nitto NT05
19x10. Advan RGIII et 35 275/35/19 nitto NT05

I think that falls within all the parameters you recommended unless I missed something. I think NT05 is slightly more track focused than the pilot super sport so I am just randomly picking that. Hopefully it doesn't run wide like the NT01. I have zero experience with either of these.
Do you know if the +45 will clear your calipers (spoke clearance)? I think my calipers are wider than yours so there's a chance it'll work.

I was going to go with that exact setup but went with RSIIs & NT05s. I think that is a safe decision.

I'm not sure and would have to back to back NT05 & PSS to be sure which one is faster. Either way, they are both top level street tires. What tires have you driven on before and what did you think of them?

According to one of our Norcal tire gurus the PSS is a terrible track tire in the summer. Great street tire that turns hard as a rock above 150 degrees.

According to one of our Norcal tire gurus the PSS is a terrible track tire in the summer. Great street tire that turns hard as a rock above 150 degrees.
Thanks for the info. How do they turn "hard as a rock" when hot?

The PSS has won the Tire Rack One Lap of America for the last 5-7 years on heavy GTRs, Vipers, 911 Turbos, etc... and has proven itself as one of the best street tires on the market. I thought they were amazing tires and definitely in the class of a AD08, RE-11, RS3, NT05, etc...

Dave,

1) Are you going to wide fenders for that 18x225 up front?

2) Once you've got those in can you weigh the rim with the tire on it?

No stock fenders unless they don't fit. I will weigh them for sure. I actually prefer an 8 and a 9.5 rear for weight... But I think billy said a slight stretch might help it fit better. The only plus to the front 8.5 is more concave.

Do you know if the +45 will clear your calipers (spoke clearance)? I think my calipers are wider than yours so there's a chance it'll work.

I was going to go with that exact setup but went with RSIIs & NT05s. I think that is a safe decision.

I'm not sure and would have to back to back NT05 & PSS to be sure which one is faster. Either way, they are both top level street tires. What tires have you driven on before and what did you think of them?

Billly I don't know for sure if it will clear the caliper. I guess I can use a spacer if it doesn't. It's either that or an 8" at an et of like 37. I thought I might have a better shot at fitment with the 8.5.

I've ran fallen RT615 not bad but felt greasy after it got real hot... But I'm talking real hot. Then went to start spec Z1 which felt much better... I liked the squeal and the more progressive give. Not sure it had more grip but I felt more comfortable with it.... So I pushed harder. Then I went to an AD08 but never had a chance to track that. Took them off and went to NT01s. Felt more confident in brake zones. I felt I could brake later and that made me faster. Very grippy overall and I was fast but as you saw on the video I had two abrupt spins with no warning whatsoever.... First at WGI and I caught it and continues on. Second at NHMS was too late to catch, and around I went into a 180. What I didn't like was this abrupt give with no warning. But I was fast in them.

- - - Updated - - -

I've also ran nankang in drift school

Thanks for the info. How do they turn "hard as a rock" when hot?

The PSS has won the Tire Rack One Lap of America for the last 5-7 years on heavy GTRs, Vipers, 911 Turbos, etc... and has proven itself as one of the best street tires on the market. I thought they were amazing tires and definitely in the class of a AD08, RE-11, RS3, NT05, etc...

Hey, I was just relating one man's opinion. His bigger issue with my setup is that I have different tires front to rear (615k front PSS rear). His advice was to run 615k all around as long as I am on stock rims (and need one set of rims to drive to, around, and home from the track). Watching this thread with interest for where to go after that.

It may help to plug into that wheel offset calculator that floats around every so often to check and see if the wheels have more or less depth clearance than your previous RSII's before you purchase the RGIII's. That way you know you'll have the caliper clearance still from the spoke perspective.

Billly I don't know for sure if it will clear the caliper. I guess I can use a spacer if it doesn't. It's either that or an 8" at an et of like 37. I thought I might have a better shot at fitment with the 8.5.

I've ran fallen RT615 not bad but felt greasy after it got real hot... But I'm talking real hot. Then went to start spec Z1 which felt much better... I liked the squeal and the more progressive give. Not sure it had more grip but I felt more comfortable with it.... So I pushed harder. Then I went to an AD08 but never had a chance to track that. Took them off and went to NT01s. Felt more confident in brake zones. I felt I could brake later and that made me faster. Very grippy overall and I was fast but as you saw on the video I had two abrupt spins with no warning whatsoever.... First at WGI and I caught it and continues on. Second at NHMS was too late to catch, and around I went into a 180. What I didn't like was this abrupt give with no warning. But I was fast in them.

- - - Updated - - -

I've also ran nankang in drift school
+51 will give you more room/likelyhood it'll fit under stock fenders. If the +51 does not clear your spokes, it'll require a small spacer. Again, a +51 and a 6mm spacer will have more caliper-spoke clearance than a +45 even though the total offsets are the same. If +45 does not clear and you need a small spacer, you are most likely not going to have enough room to fit under stock fenders.

615 or 615K? The K is quite a bit better than the 615 and the K is probably close to as good as a AD08, PSS, NT05, RS3.

On an off topic note, I have a good article for you (or anyone who tracks their car) should read:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3519/DRIVER-DEVELOPMENT-Car-Control.aspx

bj

It may help to plug into that wheel offset calculator that floats around every so often to check and see if the wheels have more or less depth clearance than your previous RSII's before you purchase the RGIII's. That way you know you'll have the caliper clearance still from the spoke perspective.

The offset calculator will do nothing to tell you about caliper clearance from the spoke perspective.
All the offset calculator will do is help you determine the outer (relative to something like the fender) and inner positions (clearance to something like a strut) of one wheel compared to another.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

Caliper clearance will be more or less a function of the "Disk type"/spoke design and not the offset.

94265d1394984503-anyone-tried-michelin-pilot-mpsc2.jpg

I'm not seriously considering this now but want to throw something out here for the sake of discussion. My favorite tire and to me the pinnacle of tire tech right now is the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2. A serious track tire with a wear rating of 180. A 235/35/19 is 23 pounds. That's LIGHT. Matched with their 305/30/20 there may actually be a weight SAVINGS over an 18/19 setup. So the weight argument isnt an issue here. The ratio front to rear is 1.06, well within what we would want. So that is ok too. Then there is the "look" argument but I believe on a car with fenders and no wheel gap a wheel/tire combo his large can actually look good, not bad.

I am not suggesting anyone try to fit this under stock fenders. But could this not be a viable and desirable opion under a force inducted NSX with fenders?

- - - Updated - - -

michelin_pilot_sport_cup_2_a.jpg

Last edited:
94265d1394984503-anyone-tried-michelin-pilot-mpsc2.jpg

I'm not seriously considering this now but want to throw something out here for the sake of discussion. My favorite tire and to me the pinnacle of tire tech right now is the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2. A serious track tire with a wear rating of 180. A 235/35/19 is 23 pounds. That's LIGHT. Matched with their 305/30/20 there may actually be a weight SAVINGS over an 18/19 setup. So the weight argument isnt an issue here. The ratio front to rear is 1.06, well within what we would want. So that is ok too. Then there is the "look" argument but I believe on a car with fenders and no wheel gap a wheel/tire combo his large can actually look good, not bad.

I am not suggesting anyone try to fit this under stock fenders. But could this not be a viable and desirable opion under a force inducted NSX with fenders?

- - - Updated - - -

michelin_pilot_sport_cup_2_a.jpg

This is really getting out of control LOL.

Especially since no one has even confirmed that the 225/40 18 fit and work.

I've ran 215 35 19 on my NSX and experienced RUB. 235/35-19 no way in hell. I run that sizing on the front of my Benz, and would probably be doable on the REAR of my NSX.

But hey, I guess my NSX is a superfreak lol.

1.06 is pretty darn good.

Here's the link you sent me comparing the R888 - ContiForce Contact - Pilot Sport Cup:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=184

While the PSC was the fastest in the dry, they are known to fall off very quickly after a few heat cycles and become useless while the R888 tends to hold up to heat cycles better. So some of these tests are a bit hard to judge especially for those who try to get as many sessions out of their tires as possible. Another reason why I like the NT01.

The 235/35-19 and 305/30-20 on a wide fender car is intriguing....

This is really getting out of control LOL.

Especially since no one has even confirmed that the 225/40 18 fit and work.

I've ran 215 35 19 on my NSX and experienced RUB. 235/35-19 no way in hell. I run that sizing on the front of my Benz, and would probably be doable on the REAR of my NSX.

But hey, I guess my NSX is a superfreak lol.
Actually, as said earlier in the thread (with pictures): Bonhamsurf did run 225/40-18 under a stock front fender.

Dave said 235/35-19 under a WIDE fendered car. I appreciate your input but a 235 stretched hellaflush rear tire and general style isn't the point of this thread.

Last edited:
Chris, I have confirmed 225/40/18 up front with bohnamsurf who actually ran that size on his car. I've also confirmed most of the "rub" people speak of on full lock is on the AC condenser shrouds. These can be removed. The next point of problem is at the rear of the tires at the body seams that can be shaved. The setups we are talking about here are not for your average joe that wants something simple. I am talking about someone willing to make the proper modifications to make it work.

- - - Updated - - -

Billy that test I had posted the link to was for the regular sport cup. Not the sport cup 2. I believe the sport cup 2 to be far superior and a more streetable tire as well. Standard on the Porsche 918. Current record holder on the ring and I believe on THESE tires.

Last edited:
Chris, I have confirmed 225/40/18 up front with bohnamsurf who actually ran that size on his car. I've also confirmed most of the "rub" people speak of on full lock is on the AC condenser shrouds. The next point of problem is at the rear of the tires at the body seams that can be shaved. The sit-ups we are talking about here are not for your average joe that wants something simple. I am talking about someone willing to make the proper modifications to make it work.
+1

Personally, I wouldn't hack a nice OEM fender but would rather replace it. I really need to bite the bullet and just buy a set of tires so I can get this flared fender kit going to put an end to all of this skepticism/questions.

Is not worth pursuing this for an ultimate setup on an NSX running 14"+ rotors? To try and actually fit such a fantastic tire?

Re-read post #188. The PSC is only good for a few sessions then turns as hard as a rock, and they take a lot longer to get up to temp than a R888 or NT01. I'm not sure if the PSC2 is the same or not. If they are, then you are only getting a benefit for a short period of time before they are useless. Without anyone to test the long term characteristics of the PSC2 or ContiForce, going that direction will be another gamble to the known quantity of how great the PSS is all around. Heck, over the course of its life, the PSS is probably faster than the PSC in all but ideal conditions for a few sessions.

It is an intriguing size/option. Similar diameters to the 225/40-18 and 275-295/35-19s (but the 19/20's have a smaller side wall and probably worse ride quality from it).

I read an article that actually compared the two and the 2 gave up a smidgen of dry traction but was far better everywhere else. The PSC has a UTQG of 60. The PSC2 is 180. There has to be a vast difference in tire formulation. I will try to dig that back up.

Consider the cup 2 was launched this year too.

1.06 is pretty darn good.

Here's the link you sent me comparing the R888 - ContiForce Contact - Pilot Sport Cup:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=184

While the PSC was the fastest in the dry, they are known to fall off very quickly after a few heat cycles and become useless while the R888 tends to hold up to heat cycles better. So some of these tests are a bit hard to judge especially for those who try to get as many sessions out of their tires as possible. Another reason why I like the NT01.

The 235/35-19 and 305/30-20 on a wide fender car is intriguing....

Actually, as said earlier in the thread (with pictures): Bonhamsurf did run 225/40-18 under a stock front fender.

Dave said 235/35-19 under a WIDE fendered car. I appreciate your input but a 235 stretched hellaflush rear tire and general style isn't the point of this thread.

Dave said a 235/35-19 under a WIDE fendered car, UNDERSTOOD. I'm sitting here trying to comprehend if you're an internet modifier or if you have ever actually done the work on your OWN NSX yourself. I'm not discussing a hellaflush rear tire here LMAO.

I understand you're a professional driver, but ALOT of your comments are literally being a forum builder and really make me think you've never ripped your entire NSX apart as I have... about 3-4 times thus far and ran/fit probably 50-60 setups of wheel/tire combos.

+1

Personally, I wouldn't hack a nice OEM fender but would rather replace it. I really need to bite the bullet and just buy a set of tires so I can get this flared fender kit going to put an end to all of this skepticism/questions.

Another point strongly indicating you're more of the forum king here... DAVE IS TALKING DIRECTLY ABOUT THE: "Rear of the tires at the body seams that can be shaved." FYI get under your own car and realize he is talking about the RUB that occurs on the inner pinch weld area in the back of the well. NOT hacking apart an OEM fender LMAO. The rubbing that occurs in these cars are inside the wheel wells, both front (A/C condensor area, headlight bucket area), and even MORESO the rear pinch well area that is part of the CHASSIS. NOT THE FENDER PANEL.

Lets get back to numbers here....

Normal 18" front fitment:

215 35 18 23.9" Diameter (I have run and experienced zero rub)

225 35 18 24.2" Diameter (I have run, but did experience rub at full lock both in the front, and rear of the wheel wells at the pinch seam with liners removed)

Now the sizing you guys insist work.

225 40 18 25.1" Diameter (NEARLY 1" LARGER in Diameter)

235 35 19 25.5" Diameter (NEARLY 1/2" Even LARGER in diameter)

Whats EXTREMELY funny here, and your wiseass "stretched hellaflush" comment...

275 30 19 25.5" Diameter (Wow that's hilarious... SAME diameter as the 235 35 19 I suggested diameter wise would be MUCH more feasible for REAR fitment.)

You really should stop all this Forum Bench racing, get off your ass and just buy the wheels/tires to prove to us that 225/40-18 and a 35 series 19 fit with no issues in being trackable. Hell, Please go one more step and run that 235 35 19 up front and let me know how you make out.

Dave said a 235/35-19 under a WIDE fendered car, UNDERSTOOD. I'm sitting here trying to comprehend if you're an internet modifier or if you have ever actually done the work on your OWN NSX yourself. I'm not discussing a hellaflush rear tire here LMAO.

I understand you're a professional driver, but ALOT of your comments are literally being a forum builder and really make me think you've never ripped your entire NSX apart as I have... about 3-4 times thus far and ran/fit probably 50-60 setups of wheel/tire combos.
I don't usually toot my own horn, but you do realize that I helped build the country's (and arguably world's) fastest time attack NSX with my own two hands as a part of a team of really passionate 'underdogs', building the car from the ground-up and being apart of every design element along the way -from a bare shell to two cage renditions, to gutting most of the front clip of the car including analyzing a bunch of NSXs that were literally cut in half to examine the aluminum extruded frame structure of the car and A-B pillar reinforcements?

^The 'smallest' front tire size we run is a 275/35-18 front. 25.6" diameter.

My personal car is Project NSX on MotoIQ.com: http://www.motoiq.com/Projects/Acura/NSX.aspx

You could say i've been around NSXs a bit...

Another point strongly indicating you're more of the forum king here... DAVE IS TALKING DIRECTLY ABOUT THE: "Rear of the tires at the body seams that can be shaved." FYI get under your own car and realize he is talking about the RUB that occurs on the inner pinch weld area in the back of the well. NOT hacking apart an OEM fender LMAO. The rubbing that occurs in these cars are inside the wheel wells, both front (A/C condensor area, headlight bucket area), and even MORESO the rear pinch well area that is part of the CHASSIS. NOT THE FENDER PANEL.
I mis-read that and I know what he's talking about. Ever happen to you? ...Happened to me.

I don't think those seams need to be modified in the rear atall...

Lets get back to numbers here....

Normal 18" front fitment:

215 35 18 23.9" Diameter (I have run and experienced zero rub)

225 35 18 24.2" Diameter (I have run, but did experience rub at full lock both in the front, and rear of the wheel wells at the pinch seam with liners removed)

Now the sizing you guys insist work.

225 40 18 25.1" Diameter (NEARLY 1" LARGER in Diameter)

235 35 19 25.5" Diameter (NEARLY 1/2" Even LARGER in diameter)

Whats EXTREMELY funny here, and your wiseass "stretched hellaflush" comment...

275 30 19 25.5" Diameter (Wow that's hilarious... SAME diameter as the 235 35 19 I suggested diameter wise would be MUCH more feasible for REAR fitment.)

You really should stop all this Forum Bench racing, get off your ass and just buy the wheels/tires to prove to us that 225/40-18 and a 35 series 19 fit with no issues in being trackable. Hell, Please go one more step and run that 235 35 19 up front and let me know how you make out.
No one said 275/30-19 for the rear other than you. Dave suggested a 235/35-19 to use with a 305/30-20.

YOU said a 235/35-19 would be doable on the REAR (more hellaflush and terrible for performance).

You're now beating a dead horse worse than Ken in regards to the sizes you're pushing. I feel like a broken record by repeating that there are no good performance tires available in the 'ideal' 18/19 tire sizes you recommend. Again, the whole point of this thread is to make a size work that has a ton of options of the best performing tires on the market.

Have you ever tracked your car before?

You have been helpful with your vast experience with what tire combinations fit but since then you've been nothing but an antagonist spewing negative comments, repeating the same information without bringing anything new or relevant to light. I don't go over and spam your hellaflush threads and criticize your tire choices, how you're excessive camber is killing the performance of the car and potentially unsafe, and how much better other tires are that aren't available in your current sizes.

I already bought the 18/19 wheels and am waiting on tires and am also making a fender flare kit for this tire size that will give plenty of clearance even when spaced out a little more than my current offsets. I'm working on the progress of this, which takes some time. But your useless negative comments don't speed up the process or provide any value to the thread.

I would appreciate it if you would refrain from commenting on this thread anymore unless you have new information thats constructive to the thread.

Last edited:
You say you "helped" build the car, yet when it comes to common NSX knowledge you're extremely lacking. Every time you are wrong, you claim you "mis-read." I honestly have never in my life seen someone misread so many things/go back and edit when they're wrong. You go on to mention you've gutted the front clip and are running a 275/35-18 and are giving Dave advice on fitment on a normal bodied 02-05 that he MAY run wide fenders on up front.

Btw, those seams 100% will have to be shaved or modified as Dave insists to run the 225/40-18. My 225/35-18 rubbed back there on a 18x8.5 35mm.

I suggested a 235/35-19 is more doable in the rear as far as DIAMETER is concerned, but yet again laugh as you talk about hellaflush and terrible performance. I have indeed tracked my car many times in the past. I'm not repeating ANY negative comments, I just know the fitment on these cars and insisting a 235/35-19 would fit up front (same diameter as a 275/30-19) is just absolutely OUTLANDISH. And on top of that, the fact that you're basically leading people to question or believe some of this BS is ridiculous.

Excessive Camber? Who is running excessive Camber? I'm running oem camber settings LMAO. I would appreciate you stop throwing random BS around this thread until you fit a 225/40-18 and 305/35-19 without shaving the front pinch welds, cutting the headlight bucket, and running the car at OEM height. Now if you're talking serious WIDEBODY Panels as your race car as you posted, a much higher ride height, and pinch weld shaving, headlight bucket modifying. Sure, I do believe the 225/40-18 and 35 series 19 will fit. Anything on OEM panels no way in hell.

You say you "helped" build the car, yet when it comes to common NSX knowledge you're extremely lacking. Every time you are wrong, you claim you "mis-read." I honestly have never in my life seen someone misread so many things/go back and edit when they're wrong. You go on to mention you've gutted the front clip and are running a 275/35-18 and are giving Dave advice on fitment on a normal bodied 02-05 that he MAY run wide fenders on up front.

Btw, those seams 100% will have to be shaved or modified as Dave insists to run the 225/40-18. My 225/35-18 rubbed back there on a 18x8.5 35mm.
Yes "Helped" because it would not give credit to a lot of the people behind the scenes who've put their own blood, sweat, and tears into the car. You could say I orchestrated the direction of the car during its initial conception to now (the last 5 years) while working with some really great people. We ran 275/35-18s without tubbing the front. COZ runs the same setup. We tubbed the front for the 300/650-18 racing slicks which were bottoming out into the metal fender well above the tire because the 300/650 is so tall.

I misread the first post thinking Dave was talking about the seam on the rear tires, not the rear (backside) of the front tire. I agree that the rear body seam of the front wheel well will need to be cut down, and as it's been said before in the thread: the price of a 225/40-18 tire might be cutting down that seam, removing fender liners and AC shroud, and possibly wider fenders. We are paving the way in a new direction but you're stuck thinking the world is flat and it does not contribute to the work that others are doing in this direction.

I accept your skepticism but until it's tested, you spoke your mind and are not offering anything new or helpful.

I suggested a 235/35-19 is more doable in the rear as far as DIAMETER is concerned, but yet again laugh as you talk about hellaflush and terrible performance.
"I've ran 215 35 19 on my NSX and experienced RUB. 235/35-19 no way in hell. I run that sizing on the front of my Benz, and would probably be doable on the REAR of my NSX." -does not sound like you were talking about the diameter to me. Seems like you were bragging about how stretched you could go on the rear.

I have indeed tracked my car many times in the past. I'm not repeating ANY negative comments, I just know the fitment on these cars and insisting a 235/35-19 would fit up front (same diameter as a 275/30-19) is just absolutely OUTLANDISH. And on top of that, the fact that you're basically leading people to question or believe some of this BS is ridiculous.

Excessive Camber? Who is running excessive Camber? I'm running oem camber settings LMAO. I would appreciate you stop throwing random BS around this thread until you fit a 225/40-18 and 305/35-19 without shaving the front pinch welds, cutting the headlight bucket, and running the car at OEM height. Now if you're talking serious WIDEBODY Panels as your race car as you posted, a much higher ride height, and pinch weld shaving, headlight bucket modifying. Sure, I do believe the 225/40-18 and 35 series 19 will fit. Anything on OEM panels no way in hell.
I never 'insisted' a 235/35-19 would fit. I was intrigued with the option and would have to look into it pending the development of the 225/40-18. Again, you continue to put words in my mouth.

So what is your static camber front and rear?

Of course a 225/40-18 will have to run a higher ride height than your slammed setup on skinny tires, but at 4-4.5" ride height (ground to frame rail), I think that's an accpetable ride height for street and track performance and usability, and that's the goal.

You also seem to keep missing the point that Bonhamsurf DID fit a 225/40-18 on the front of his stock fendered car.

You also seem to keep missing the point that Bonhamsurf DID fit a 225/40-18 on the front of his stock fendered car.

Let's get back on topic - is 225/40-18 the golden front size with lots of amazing options that we should all be shooting for? It's been a long thread and I've lost track of what I'm actually supposed to be buying :tongue:

Let's get back on topic - is 225/40-18 the golden front size with lots of amazing options that we should all be shooting for? It's been a long thread and I've lost track of what I'm actually supposed to be buying :tongue:
As per the original post:

You need to realize your goals. If you don't mind a mid-slightly upper tier street tire, there are options in sizes that easily fit the NSX. If you want a top-level street tire, there are some 17/17 and 17/18 options that fit a lot easier.

If you want the best, most modern street tires that deliver near R-comp performance, ride quality, etc... (Technology thats newer than 5 years) there really are no options other than 225/40-18. To make ABS/TCS happy you need a 275/40-18 or 275/35-19 ish size.

A 225/40-18 fit under a stock fender but you probably have to remove your fender liner. A few of us are going to these sizes to define what is needed to make these sizes work if you want one of the tires listed on post #111

I'm not sure you want to be buying anything until one of us has tried this.

I posted this earlier, but here it is again:

ec988160e7e37dfa4b92de99cc2ca1ce_zps0a0aeb64.jpg

This is a photo of the left tire, towards the rear, the wavy silver stuff is a seam where two body panels are joined. Looks like some sort of welding and gluing, I am not sure. But you can see the distance is CLOSE, HEre my tire is a 235/40/17 NT01. That is slightly smaller in diameter than a 225/40/18. The photo makes it worse, but there is no more than a pinky of space in there, I can slide my finger in between but it is actually squeezing my finger down. A 225/40/18 will need this to be shaved. Up front I've already shredded my fan shrouds, and since then I manually zip tied what was left a bit further back. I think you can just pull an oem shroud further back and have it be safe. There's room between the shroud and the condenser fans.

Since I did that, I noticed mysteriously that my "rubbing" at full lock was gone. As I examined what was going on under there, I realized the rubbing you hear at full lock is the plastic shroud. I removed my fender liners off a while back before they were damaged and saved them. They are still in perfect condition.

Removing fender liners is not ideal. You get more noise in the car, and there is debris that the R comps pickup and spray all around. But there are fixes. You can still line the inner fender wells with expansion foam and rubber undercoating. Have everything be protected. There is a brake line under there I am now concerned about, but I have to take a second look. Maybe someone else knows.

After the seam issue, the next issue would be the headlight bucket but there's still space there, about an inch, and I don't think it's a problem to worry about unless you go even bigger.

Is also want to note that my caster is maxed out. That moves the front wheels forward. That may be giving me more clearance than Chris had, and NSX's being hand built are probably all slightly different. Bohnamsurf may have had someone shave that seam already, he may have been running a slightly preferable tire brand that was just a hair smaller, or his car may have been already different enough during assembly to allow that tire to fit. I know for sure if I don't shave my seam, it's going to be a problem. But I have no choice now. Just as billy started this thread, I received and installed my ceramics and realized they will not fit a 17" wheel. So I have to do this. I don't want a yokohama S drive.

ShaylorD has a 2013 Nissan GTR. The front wheel is 20x9.5 at an et of 45. I was going to get a 305-30-20 tire, stick it on there and try it on the rear of the NSX. Just so I can get exact measurements and some photos. Of course the front is another story but hey at least we are getting some data. If that's a no-go I won't bother with the front. If that works, then I can pursue what it would take to get that 235/35/19 up front.

At worst when my passenger asks "hey what's this black thing?" I can say "that's the front tire honey. Don't put your feet on it". :D

Back