• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial How Many Times You've Blown Up Your Engine Thread

1st one:
Tunnel hose failure took out a $16,000.00 motor build.

2nd one: The rebuild of the one above. $8,000.00 to rebuild.

3rd one: Building a new motor now to replace it. $10,000.00+

All within the last year.

Last edited:
1st one:
Tunnel hose failure took out a $16,000.00 motor build.

2nd one: The rebuild of the one above. $8,000.00 to rebuild.

3rd one: Building a new motor now to replace it. $10,000.00+

All within the last year.

By tunnel hose you mean the coolant hose? Time between hose failure and damage?

$34,000.00 in motor rebuild $$$$$$$$$$$$$ THIS YEAR???????????

You're doing it wrong.

There is no guarantee that with a Turbo, I won't blow mine up sometime soon. That's why I don't beat on my car and keep it to 400 RWPH.
At 400, this motor has been proven to run a long, long time.

Last edited:
How many times ?...

Not sure yet, not done.

I dont know if i belong to this club as yet, but i will share my brief experience with turbocharging the NSX..

I ran at 425 whp 8psi on a stock motor for 2 years. I did'nt really blow up the engine, but saw some early warning signs such as oil spraying out of places it should'nt and frequent misfiring. So before something worse could happen, i decided to upgrade to an FXMD built engine with billet crankshaft. While the engine is rated at 800hp, i am tuned at 625 whp on 14psi E85. as correctly stated - the right choice of engine builder, parts and above all the right Tuner will determine the longevity of the setup..

Blowing up motors is all about what you do with them.
You can use the best parts, the best builders, do it yourself, check and double check everything and STILL, shit happens.

You can build them to 400 rwhp and you can build them to 800 rwhp and everywhere in between.

If your car is a dyno queen, a garage queen, a keyboard racer, then you probably won't be blowing up any motors any time soon unless you have a bad tuner.

If you track your car hard, hit the 7800 rpm range, brake hard, heel toe and on the gas coming out of corners back to 7800 rpm hitting apexes as you go and hitting 150+ down the straights, then chances are your going to cook a motor sooner or later.

Those are the facts. No way around it. If anyone thinks otherwise, please by all means tell me your secrets.

HP cost money and with it comes the frequent chance of failure, that's the way it is.

The faster you go, the faster shit breaks.

Last edited:
Yes, a tunnel cooling hose.

Lesson learned, just because it's out of sight doesn't mean it should be out of mind.

Pretty much instantaneous since it was in the middle of a hot lap and the temps skyrocketed instantly, lifted the heads and detonated the motor.

By tunnel hose you mean the coolant hose? Time between hose failure and damage?

The motor in the car now is doing fine.

One was cooked, rebuilt and in the car.
The motor we're building now is a backup motor.

3 motors since July 2009. 2 are alive and doing fine.

You are absolutely correct, longevity comes from lower HP numbers.

$34,000.00 in motor rebuild $$$$$$$$$$$$$ THIS YEAR???????????

You're doing it wrong.

There is no guarantee that with a Turbo, I won't blow mine up sometime soon. That's why I don't beat on my car and keep it to 400 RWPH.
At 400, this motor has been proven to run a long, long time.

Sad but true,
The day my engine goes (sometime soon) it will put my car out of comision for a while.
But I am Not going to baby it, I am going to track it at every opportunity I can, I will do the best I can to keep it cooled and fueled to make it'll last as much as possible but with 180,000 miles on the motor, I know the end it's near...

-MSR

Blowing up motors is all about what you do with them.
You can use the best parts, the best builders, do it yourself, check and double check everything and STILL, shit happens.

You can build them to 400 rwhp and you can build them to 800 rwhp and everywhere in between.

If your car is a dyno queen, a garage queen, a keyboard racer, then you probably won't be blowing up any motors any time soon unless you have a bad tuner.

If you track your car hard, hit the 7800 rpm range, brake hard, heel toe and on the gas coming out of corners back to 7800 rpm hitting apexes as you go and hitting 150+ down the straights, then chances are your going to cook a motor sooner or later.

Those are the facts. No way around it. If anyone thinks otherwise, please by all means tell me your secrets.

HP cost money and with it comes the frequent chance of failure, that's the way it is.

The faster you go, the faster shit breaks.

Lets hope its a lot later than sooner....
Love your attitude :biggrin:

Sad but true,
The day my engine goes (sometime soon) it will put my car out of comision for a while.
But I am Not going to baby it, I am going to track it at every opportunity I can, I will do the best I can to keep it cooled and fueled to make it'll last as much as possible but with 180,000 miles on the motor, I know the end it's near...

-MSR

I agree.
I ran meth injection on my SC systems, it worked well, but only when in boost.
E-85 works all the time.

E85 the better option

That sucks.
Methanol injection would be a great idea then.
The cooler intake temps the better, as you know.

We dont have e85 available in the GTA here in Toronto .
If we did I would of be using it for sure.

-MSR

not when you cant find the e85 station. water/meth injection cool the air before it get to the motor.

Both E85 and water/meth are proven ways to cool the air before combustion. I think there are lots of examples of both to adequately demonstrate the advantages of using either.

However... since this this thread is all about blown up engines...

People should be aware that water/meth is a fail-danger system and not a fail-safe system. Should it fail, it could cause serious problems since the engine will be tuned for the advanced timing that the water/meth injection provides. It is not like NOS where if the NOS system fails then the engine is still safe.

Is it likely that the water/meth injection system would fail? Probably not, it's as likely as a fuel pump going out. And there are fail-safe devices to prevent just thing thing. But just something that people should be aware of.

As I've said before... anytime you add components to a system, the probably of any one part of the system to fail increases by some formula.

Last edited:
Just a quick question, if you run out of meth how do you know? If you knew you ran out of meth can you just stay out of boost and limp home?

Also, can't windshield washer fluid be used as a meth substitute?

Well guys I guess I can add my name to this list. Just got done doing a leakdown test and found cylinder 1 @60%. What scares me is I think its been this way since October since that was the first time I saw oil spray from the rear valve cover. Well I guess I'll be doing a rebuild soon:redface:

Vega$, thanks for posting your experience and thoughts, great insight and overview on the topic.

Back