• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial How Many Times You've Blown Up Your Engine Thread

Just a quick question, if you run out of meth how do you know? If you knew you ran out of meth can you just stay out of boost and limp home?

Also, can't windshield washer fluid be used as a meth substitute?
My Aem setup.has an LED its green when the Meth sprays and it flashes when the tank is low. You can set it up with failsafe also. I have my car tuned so it doesn't factor in the water/ Meth.

It would blow oil out the rear valve cover vent tube after boost then decel. Other than that there was no signs. But a leak down test showed 60% loss in cylinder 1.

Sorry to hear about your motor. Good excuse to rebuild!

Where did you see your oil spray come out of? Was it into your catch can?

I think I may have just joined you guys. Attached is a video of a load tapping noise from my motor. I cannot get this uploaded anyone want to try I can email it to you?
Thanks Ken

I think I may have just joined you guys. Attached is a video of a load tapping noise from my motor. I cannot get this uploaded anyone want to try I can email it to you?
Thanks Ken

Sorry to hear, you should upload it to youtube or photobucket first, then post it here.

Thanks Ken

Welcome to the club. :frown: We are few but we are proud. :redface:

Ahh the tap of death. I've heard it before and it is a very sinking feeling. That is a very bad tell-tale sign. Make sure to run your engine as little as possible, if at all, to minimize any damage.

I have just renewed my membership to this club. My block is being sleeved by Dan Benson Racing and I am getting more parts for the rebuild.

The first time was because I didn't change the OEM pistons after going FI. This time round, it is a cracked OEM sleeve. So I am getting my block sleeved and getting aftermarket parts for the pistons, con rods and crankshaft etc. Hopefully it will last me for awhile.

Last edited:
Ken sorry to hear about your motor. You are running a high displacement S/C at about the 500 rwhp, right?

Ken sorry to hear about your motor. You are running a high displacement S/C at about the 500 rwhp, right?

Yes I have a 2.9L Whipple and IC. The block has been sleeved and has low compression pistons. I was hoping I could get someone to listen to video and let me know if that sounds like a rod bearing or a valve tapping before I pull the motor apart.
Ken

Yes I have a 2.9L Whipple and IC. The block has been sleeved and has low compression pistons. I was hoping I could get someone to listen to video and let me know if that sounds like a rod bearing or a valve tapping before I pull the motor apart.
Ken

Hard to tell but sounds like a rod knock. I would do a leakdown test and that will tell you if you have issues with the valves but pretty sure you spun a rod bearing.

I have a question, what gear is everyone breaking their motors? 4th gear and up?

You can only hear this when I rev it up.
Ken

Disconnect the plug coils, one at a time. If/when the sounds goes away, you've hit the faulty cylinder. Drain the oil and look for metal shards/fragments in it. Drop the oil pan and check the rod bearings. You could also use a stethoscope to precisely determine the origin of the sound.

Good luck!

i saw the blue smoke in 2nd gear.

Funny, so do I... a lot less now that we replaced the PCV valve, and the timing cover just came off today for further investigation. Believe it was a crappy TB/HG job and hopefully the internals are all fine.

I actually forgot about this thread....Guess Ill update my official number to 3....hopefully it falls under that old saying about being a charm and Ill be good for a while.

Funny, so do I... a lot less now that we replaced the PCV valve, and the timing cover just came off today for further investigation. Believe it was a crappy TB/HG job and hopefully the internals are all fine.

It was more like a blue horizontal mushroom cloud when the engine KABOOMed.

Unfortunately, you can write me up for 1.0.

I thought I had taken precautions on my Low-boost Autorotor CTSC just to prevent any problems.
- First of all, only going low-boost on car, autorotor CSTC
- Installed oil pan baffle for the oil
- Installed Zeitronix AFR to be able to monitor that (and regulary read out the logfiles)
- ATI damper to prevent pulley to detonate
- Recently, added thermo gasket between manifold and engine, recently added Walbro fuel pump and SOS wiring and boost- and IAT sensors.

Then, AFR was much too low. Just heard from the shop it's not my valves but leakage from two of my cylinders.
For now, engine will be taken out to see what is wrong detail :mad: :redface: :( :(

Unfortunately, you can write me up for 1.0.

I thought I had taken precautions on my Low-boost Autorotor CTSC just to prevent any problems.
- First of all, only going low-boost on car, autorotor CSTC
- Installed oil pan baffle for the oil
- Installed Zeitronix AFR to be able to monitor that (and regulary read out the logfiles)
- ATI damper to prevent pulley to detonate
- Recently, added thermo gasket between manifold and engine, recently added Walbro fuel pump and SOS wiring and boost- and IAT sensors.

Then, AFR was much too low. Just heard from the shop it's not my valves but leakage from two of my cylinders.
For now, engine will be taken out to see what is wrong detail :mad: :redface: :( :(

Oh no!! That is horrible news.... Just yesterday I finished my CTSC installation from last years GB. This morning I booked with the dyno guy to check the fuel pressures and AFR's on Thursday. Now I am worried!! Sound like a ring failure maybe?? Have you any idea how the AFR was low? Do you mean rich or lean? Have you been driving your car really hard? Seems odd if a lot of the US guys can drive with no issues, even on the track that this should happen so quickly.

Not sure what else to say... Good luck with getting it fixed. Will you keep the blower on now or is that a scare to far?

Back