• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial weight reduction thread

Yeah, I had one, it blew up (but it was my fault).

How did this happen? any damage to your car? Was it this same brand? wast it comparable to a lead/accid battery in performance? How long did you had it installed in your car? more information would be very appreciated...:wink:

Thank you

they really are Lithium IRON battery's.......I use Shorai battery's in my bikes, they are unbelievably light and seem to live up to the claims........I'm guessing two of the larger motorcycle batteries wired in tandem would work pretty well, even two of them would likely be about the half the weight of the lightweight Braille in my NSX
I have one of these in mine and they are super light weight, i posted some info here a lttle while back. So far strong as no problems at all

For anyone wondering:

Comptech aluminum brace: 6.5 pounds without prop rod

STMPO chromoly brace: 9 pounds without prop rod.

1974670C-D8C5-48C7-90EF-AFDA05A380F0-9248-0000061F864FE849.jpg

Has anyone removed the engine bay fan on the pass side. I cant figure out whey the hell its even there seems like dead weight but there must be a reason... anyone know? anyone remove theirs?

All CTSC installations for all years require the removal of the fan. I removed mine in my 91.

Later years did away with the fan entirely. The common consensus is that it is not needed. Has yours ever come on? I tried to install mine post-CTSC but it simply will not fit.

Yeah later models don't even have it , only autos I believe kept it all years. I would think on a stick you could definitely toss it.

Sub, center speaker, aspirator fan, head unit, clock, door speakers, coins are being deleted this weekend.

I am going to try to configure a quick disconnect for the passenger seat too. That will be a major diet. Any thoughts.

Unfortunately I had to put the driver side floor mat back in.

Last edited:
I took a dump tonight that I think was just over a kilo.

Funny you mentioned that. I went on a diet at the beginning of last summer. It consisted of fruits, veggies, and meat only. I literally lost 1 lb a day. Shaved thirty pounds of my gut and went from 185 to 155. Needless to say, I am holding steady at 160 with this diet. These natural laxatives, produces 3-4 pounds of wastes each day. Therefore, I am thinking of just driving my car after each bowel flush session.

Myself, I need to lose about 5kg and then I'm 75kg @ 175cm.

Today I have removed the complete A/C system from the condensers, piping to the compressor. All in all pretty heavy stuff. I'm removing the ABS system now. The NSX is on a strict diet :D

Question: Does anyone know the difference in weight between a 5 speed transmission and a 6 speed transmission?

They are the same size housing so they will be similar. I could maybe tell you later if I do the swap.

A NA2 6 Speed Targa is 10kg heavier than a stock NA1 5 Speed Targa, Some of that has to be the transmission and the rest in the larger rotors.

I just saved 28 pounds over my lightweight OEM 2005 battery

13081049-425C-48A5-8A57-79A9F4FC7D4C-1442-000001C33BD21E51_zpsed1bda83.jpg

TURBO2GO you definitely caught my attention with that post:
where can I read the detailed specs, how much did it cost you and from where?
TIA

Wow, looking good.
Do you have it installed yet? I'd like to see a picture of the installed battery.
Also, what is the Ah rating of your battery? Can you leave your car for more than a week without the battery running low?

It's installed. That is my oem black battery case stuffed with foam around the thing. Haven't left it for a week yet and I have no desire to, as I don't want to deep cycle such an expensive battery. So I probably will not have that answer but I use a battery quick disconnect if if it going to sit longer than a few days. Don't care about the clock/radio presets. I don't have a radio anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

TURBO2GO you definitely caught my attention with that post:
where can I read the detailed specs, how much did it cost you and from where?
TIA

I've posted in several other threads, I guess you haven't seen them. I bought it from battery mart, it is 550cca, it is 36aH. It turns the engine over FAST, all my lights, etc are plenty bright, honestly it seems to outperform my old tired battery. No issues at all over the last few days. These are designed for racing bikes and not cars per se, but I looked at the specs and they outperform some of the lightweight odyssey and brailles. Also since most lithium Brailles and volt freaks units are $1500-2000, at $330 shipped this seemed like a total bargain. It's $200 more than the OEM battery. You have to get posts, I bought a set of odyssey brass posts, which battery mart also sells. The terminal rings are just lightly loose still, but since the center of the posts is threaded I put a bolt and washer in them and that ring is not coming off.

I don't have a good mount, but member phryxis is making some aluminum ones. Lookup my battery thread, do a search under my name with battery in the subject in threads I started. Here are some more pics in the car:

ab010c0ec8f93ceea13c4cbf3c1527e7_zps82f098c2.jpg

4d13a248f435554adf4512c1947aa40d_zpsf263b824.jpg

It's a temporary mount for now but it works. The unit is 4.9 pounds. So it's not like it needs a lot to secure it down.

I suppose it's due time that I got into this thread, I'm a huge proponent of "lighter is better". In fact, I even bought www.lighterisbetter.com a few months ago (there's nothing on it right now).

I've done a good amount of weight reduction on the car, although unfortunately I haven't documented the weight savings. I'll probably end up throwing all of the stuff I removed in the trunk and driving to a scale and do a before and after.

My most recent weight reduction project was installing a mini-amp wired directly to the speakers, so I can plug my phone directly into the amp. Removed the radio, CD changer and everything associated with it. I'm not done fully installing it because I was rushing to get it done last week before I headed on a road trip (NEEDED to have an AUX in!). I'm planning on installing it into the armrest compartment.

8660464113_958662767c_c.jpg

I plan on covering the hole with a sheet of carbon fiber.
8661564410_db5f14f5f5_c.jpg

I'm not a vendor yet, but will be when I release our battery trays. My buddy and I own and operate a CNC mill and are coming out with a line of machined aluminum battery trays to hold the Shorai 36AH batteries. They'll be available next month.

8622186406_d38bfe9395_c.jpg

I'm an authorized dealer of Shorai batteries. We don't stock them at the moment, but have access to their pricing, which I am more than willing to pass the discount on to fellow NSXers. I mainly wanted to become a Shorai dealer so we could build in the cost for the battery package, so it wouldn't be outrageously expensive, as the MSRP of the battery itself is pretty high.

Back