• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial weight reduction thread

Since I drive alone 90% of the time, its time to do some seat weight reduction. For the driver, I kept the OEM rails and deleted the OEM seats and replaced them with fiberglass recaro replicas. The driver seat has full function. For the passenger seat, I deleted the rails, customized my own with aluminum and quick install/removal options. It can fully mount or dismount in under 2 minutes with a lock of 4 13mm bolts. Removed both OEM seats which weights in at 76.8 lbs. Reinstall the drivers rail for 14.7lbs and the recaro at 6lbs. Will need to add 8.8lbs if mounting passenger recaro and custom made rails. In short, I saved 50lbs. This was a 8 hour job and I got to thoroughly vacuum too!

Last edited:
I'm sorry - I have to post this... for the safety of your passenger in a potential accident, please do not use that mount for the seat belt buckle.

Seat and rail - OK. But the three belt anchors must be as strong as the OEM setup or stronger.

Dave

Just swapped out OEM wing with a Seibon R wing. Lacking a scale, does anyone know the weight of the OEM wing and the weight of a Seibon R wing? My feelers claims that there is a difference of 5 lbs.

Any idea of the weight of our fuel tank? Has anyone ever swapped out a smaller tank, say an 8 gallon tank? What is our fuel tank made of? Are all fuel tanks from honda are of the same material?

Charlee do you have any pics of how your seat mounts to that aluminum bracket? Are you sure that is safe? I think there is a reason why OEM is steel. I love the idea, I had mentioned this before many times. What is the bracket on the driver's side?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and your recaro cannot possibly be 6 pounds. I have never seen a seat that light.

Charlee do you have any pics of how your seat mounts to that aluminum bracket? Are you sure that is safe? I think there is a reason why OEM is steel. I love the idea, I had mentioned this before many times. What is the bracket on the driver's side?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and your recaro cannot possibly be 6 pounds. I have never seen a seat that light.

I had to drill holes through my Recaro's so they perfectly fit into the four 13mm bolts at the top of my rails. I am not sure of the integrity of aluminum vs. steel, however our car is mostly aluminum so that carries some credibility. With my scale, I weight 6-7 pounds more when holding the seat (without any rails).

I have the recaro seat mounted to the OEM rails on the driver side so that the seat can move forwards and backwards.

I believe the OEM seat is an overkill due to drivers wanting comfort. I got this idea from riding in the Lotus Elise.

- - - Updated - - -

Any ideas on the gas tank?

- - - Updated - - -

R-wing deleted and installed the GT wing, which is heavier; but not by a whole lot. For sure equal to or less than OEM wing.

Just swapped out OEM wing with a Seibon R wing. Lacking a scale, does anyone know the weight of the OEM wing and the weight of a Seibon R wing? My feelers claims that there is a difference of 5 lbs.

I feel lame pushing my product on the tech forums, but I honestly don't know why you're looking to make the gas tank smaller, when you could drop 30-40 pounds in one shot with our battery setup (that is unless you already have a lighter battery). Easily one of the best and simplest weight reduction mods, and in fact, the two people posting above you have been enjoying our battery package. We're doing a promotion currently for $360 shipped, and will have a batch done within a couple of weeks.

Any idea of the weight of our fuel tank? Has anyone ever swapped out a smaller tank, say an 8 gallon tank? What is our fuel tank made of? Are all fuel tanks from honda are of the same material?

Before I change the gas tank (which I never would lol), I would go with the Procar front and rear CF bumper beams and a CF engine cover. You will save about the same amount of weight.

Before I change the gas tank (which I never would lol), I would go with the Procar front and rear CF bumper beams and a CF engine cover. You will save about the same amount of weight.

Engine cover has been deleted. It was removed and shrink wrapped 9 years ago.

I never fill my tank full. The most I ever put in it is 9 gallons.

The beams and battery has been covered, I am looking for more ways to diminish weight.

Charlene how did you get a recaro to mount on the OEM rail?

Also, can you just drill a seat for mounting bolts? I thought seats were reinforced in their bolt locations. Although I may be wrong. It's what I was told. Two bolts seem like such a flimsy way to hold a seat on anyway.

Charlene how did you get a recaro to mount on the OEM rail?

Also, can you just drill a seat for mounting bolts? I thought seats were reinforced in their bolt locations. Although I may be wrong. It's what I was told. Two bolts seem like such a flimsy way to hold a seat on anyway.

The recaros I have do not have any reinforcement for the intended rails. I just drilled holes where it was needed. I then provided 1.5" washer as support. The are held with four bolts and not two. From my pix, you can see where the four bolts on top of the rail. The driverside has the welded on nuts so I just fastened the seat down with the appropriate bolts. Make sure you install the rails first then align the seats, then drill. If you mount the stock rails to the seat while out of the car, it may not line up appropriately when trying to reinstall back into the car.

- - - Updated - - -

trying to come up with creative ways to reduce weight.

trying to come up with creative ways to reduce weight.
Why?

Go to the 02 ABS unit or remove ABS alltogether.
Do an 02 conversion or remove the headlights for a 'blank' carbon panel.
NSX-R carbon hood
Downforce Carbon side inlets (makes a HUGE difference).
Remove passenger seat alltogether.
Remove Radio
Remove A/C & heater core
Put an aftermarket racing steering wheel on
Lexan hatch glass and engine-bay glass divider.
STMPO aluminum rear bumper.

Do you have any numbers on the carbon side ducts?

Back