• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial weight reduction thread

Nice list, but I have a few thoughts about it.

The Spoon calipers can be mount on the rear? I doubt this and if it realy works, the e-brake will not work anymore.
I thought the 6speed tranny is a few kg more than the 5speed?
The runk lid and hood are listed from GT ONE, but the prices are from the cheapest replicas. The GT one lid + hood are about 7800usd, while the list says approx 1750usd.
Use the lightest clutch available for the NSX when going all out weight reduction. The ATS single-cf or the Exedy dual-cf. I have the Exedy in my car and it is superb for street IMO. Just 16lbs and the ATI is 18,7lbs.

thanks

The Spoon calipers can be mount on the rear? I doubt this and if it realy works, the e-brake will not work anymore.
The runk lid and hood are listed from GT ONE, but the prices are from the cheapest replicas. The GT one lid + hood are about 7800usd, while the list says approx 1750usd.
Use the lightest clutch available for the NSX when going all out weight reduction. The ATS single-cf or the Exedy dual-cf. I have the Exedy in my car and it is superb for street IMO. Just 16lbs and the ATI is 18,7lbs.

thanks

You are right. I have overlooked some stuff.
I am not sure if the spoon calipers will work on the rear too. It may take some new rotors for that to work. You are right the parking brake wont work after they are installed.

The 6-speed is probably heavier, but I have not found a source that has info on the difference.

The carbon fiber stuff has been sketch. I assume there wouldn't be much of a difference in weight for hood, trunk, fenders etc, but there is likely a large range of quality and price. I suppose I need to look up reviews of specific parts. I am probably generalizing a bit much.

Thanks for the info on the clutch.

Can you share a bit more information on the Exedy dual cf? How is pedal effort? engagement? noise? vibration?

Do you have more information on the ATS single CF? Anyone here using ATS single CF? would like more information and feedback on this clutch!

Thanks

Bruno

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Hi JMChristopher!

Thanks a lot for sharing the information!

If you want to update it, here goes the exact information on the KW V3 F+R suspension - this setup will save you 9,7 lbs or 4,4 kg, you can see it here on my build:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...tugal!/page3?p=1873534&viewfull=1#post1873534

Also have information of many other parts if you want the exact weight savings!

Thanks again

Bruno

You are right. I have overlooked some stuff.
I am not sure if the spoon calipers will work on the rear too. It may take some new rotors for that to work. You are right the parking brake wont work after they are installed.

The 6-speed is probably heavier, but I have not found a source that has info on the difference.

The carbon fiber stuff has been sketch. I assume there wouldn't be much of a difference in weight for hood, trunk, fenders etc, but there is likely a large range of quality and price. I suppose I need to look up reviews of specific parts. I am probably generalizing a bit much.

Thanks for the info on the clutch.

Last edited:
The pedal effort is a bit heavier than stock, but realy only minimal. The clutch engagement is quite easy, you get realy fast used to it and I think it is okay in stop and go also. Since it is a carbon clutch it does not chatter like a cerametalic clutch. Sure, there is this chattering noise many people claim it's anyoing, but I like it, sounds like a Ducati motorcylce which use to have the same noize when the clutch is floating free while the car is idling in traffic or so.

In my Turbo ITR back in the days I used to have a Tilton dual cf clutch and it was by far one of the best upgrades I ever made. I would call the Exedy also one of the best things I did to my NSX, especialy for the ultra light weight design nothing can beat it when it comes to reducing of rotation-mass. Take into account the money to weight is very very good you get out of it. For a 2300usd part loosing about 10kg versus the stock part.... and this on the engine rotating mass which counts 3-times than loosing 10kg on just the chassie....very good price-performance IMO.

I do not know anything about the ATS clutch from other sources than from their website, but I am sure it is nice too and this for less price. I would have bought it, if I had'nt the Exedy already in my race engine mounted and sleeping with all the nice stuff for years. I installed the race engine in my street NSX now, but more of it in the BUILT Forum "the austrian type-R ;)

Last edited:
The best manufacture is PROCAR SPECIALS when it comes to CF parts, at least all people are saying this. It will save 3,2kg on the truck lid. Your spreadsheed says you will save 5,8kg going with an cf lid instead of the stock one. Thats a bit too much to be good. PROCAR says his is about 3,2kg lighter. But for 2500 Euro + shipping just saving 3,2kg? Thats not a good price performance IMO.

At some point you will need 200 Euro to save 1kg which is still okay. But the trunk lid is more like 1000 Euro per kg when you want to go with top notch quality. I only would go with a cf lid if all other things are done. A good 200 euro/kg example are the Spoon calipers. You can find them for 1200 Euro and save 8kg, just a bit below the 200 euro to 1kg mark. There are many things in that price performance range, but some things are insane more and some things a less or even for free :)

Haven't found info on it so I weighed my passenger side airbag that I removed from my '95. It weighs 9lbs, pretty heavy.

I think the estimates on the GT One Dry Carbon Hood and Trunk are a bit off. I have both and each weighs about 3lb. Quality is debatable between ProCar and the GT One items. The GT One items fit extremely well, almost OEM quality. I did not have a ProCar Hood and Truck to test at the time, but I know the GT One items weigh the least and are certainly the strongest bar far.

here are some weights Ive taken pictures of

the emissions stuff that comes out when you go stand alone ecu... the vacuum stuff and canister and egr is 6.3 lbs, i took a pic of the canisters and vacumms ect at 5lbs but forgot to include the egr that was 1.3lbs

the oem 11.5lbs alternator bracket and misc components that get replaced with the billet aluminum bracket
OEM alternator was 13.8lbs

im finishing up making a carbon Kevlar trunk, its not complete yet at 2lbs 9oz but will around 3.5lbs finished the OEM was 13lbs so yes its possible to save 10lbs there

Carbon Fiber Headliner with A & B pillars plus the sun visor delete was -3 lbs reduction total. not much but awesome!

[MENTION=29650]JMChristopher[/MENTION]
OEM headliner 4lbs 6oz / CF headliner 3lbs 10oz
OEM A pillars 10oz each / CF a pillars 6oz each
OEM B pillars 5oz each / CF B pillars 3oz each
OEM sun visors 1lbs 12oz / Delete

Last edited:
sorry for late response.

[MENTION=5905]JD Cross[/MENTION] yes sir, the goal it to get under 2400 lbs by next month. I have a few things planned to get to a goal to break 2300lbs eventually while retaining the same full interior.

[MENTION=14678]TURBO2GO[/MENTION] Thanks Dan!

here are some of the crazy ideas & educated "guesstimates" of what I'm considering doing.. all of them, would equal mid 2100's and still retain full interior and A/C ect... but realistically my goal is to eventually reach 2250 - 2299 lbs.... Nothing on the plan sacrifices the full interior nor A/C, the objective will always be to retain typical modded NSX-R look & drive-ability like any other fully functional normal car w/ GT3 amenities.

many of these are estimates and some quoted reductions are improvements to already light parts.
Lexan rear hatch -11.5, make custom CF frame -7, remove latch & use pins -3 -22 ?
Make custom front carbon kevlar under aero ADD +3
Make custom middle carbon kevlar undertray aero ADD +4
Make custom rear bulkhead interior CF panels and speaker panel -3
Make custom Carbon fiber trunk lid -10lbs ? - one strut -1 -8 to -10
Make custom Carbon fiber rear bumper cover -9
Make or buy custom Carbon fiber side skirts -10 to -15
Make custom Carbon Fiber door panels (maybe flat) -10
Delete radiator center bracket that holds front hood latch & latch it-self..... (install mini hood pins) -6 to -7 ?
CF mirrors -3.2
Remove fender liners 1.5 each? -6 (if turbo2go can live without liners so can I :) )
Remove jumper leads or relocate lithium battery to engine bay if possible -5??
remove misc brakets on fire wall -3
Fixed mount seats (replace sliders) 16lbs existing rails -12
Misc wire removal (stereo old popup headlights, lights ect) PH1 -5
lighter Aluminum exhaust gt009 replica -5
Lexan Divider Window OEM 10.5lbs lexan 2lbs -8.5
upgrade headers from DC to taitec -7 or cantrell -9 or gtone Ti -13
Procar tein RE conversion eps tein re springs -9.3
lighter rear CF spoiler w/o led -4?
Upgrade Eltech, tillet, technocraft Carbon fiber seats 4.5-6.5lbs each -10/-14 lighter than current -11
Make custom Carbon fiber front bumper cover -15? and rear fenders -10? total -25?
lighter 95+ newer starter -2
Make Custom Carbon fiber dashboard -10
Spoon calipers -4 each and light rotors -20
J-SWAP 3.5 -70 / -30
J custom CF manifold/TB -5 & light alternator/pulleys-5 light clutch -11 -20
Procar or Gtone CF hood upgrade -3
Remove heatercore and piping -5
exedy 16lbs or ATS 18.7lbs oem is 35.4 lbs clutch upgrade -8
Remove power door locks -5
Carbon front bumper beam upgrade -5
Carbon fiber doors ? -20? or 2002+ thinner aluminum doors -10 to 20 lbs?
Carbon 6 XP Tie Rod -1,21 lbs -1.21
Comptech Adjustable Cam Gears for -3,77 lbs 2-3hp? -3.77
swap inside door structure steel to aluminum like NSX-R specs.. ? weight -5

:) Update: finally hit over 300whp N/A on E85 flex fuel and OEM engine internals with the 23lbs lighter custom CF manifold (air box is temporary) power band of each gear is very strong now (260@6000, 275@6500rpm, 290@7000, 300@7500, 290/280@8300)

At current 6.9 PW (2440lbs/303whp/350crank), we can confirm it's possible with OEM internals & stock RELIABILITY to achieve a similar acceleration rate of a new GTR =7 PW (3850lbs/550crank)..... and WAY beyond the original NSXR's = 8.6PW

started making the first part of the Super-lightweight structural cored carbon kevlar under aero panels, which may improve the aero a bit.. very rough finish, (all function & minimal form), huge 3.5' x 4' panel is 3.5lbs. (NSXR under battery tray panel is 8.5lbs and covers smaller area about 2.5'x3.5')

Last edited:
adding lightness......:wink: I hope you and Billy can give us track impressions once the car gets to your goal.

[MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION]
yes all about adding lightness :)
will do, maybe new video in few weeks.
Compared to the last video the car will be 12% lighter and 20% stronger PW, really excited to test the new performance

[MENTION=9710]austrian type-R[/MENTION]
those are the weight savings of the NSX cam gears that I have heard.

Last edited:
I'm not as hardcore as some of you reducing weight in the NSX, but anyone care to give me an estimate weight loss based on the mods I've done?

Downforce Intake Scoop (removed oem intake tubing)
Pride V2 Exhaust (removed oem exhaust 3.0)
Comptech Headers (removed oem cast manifold)
NSX-R front stabilizer bar (replaced oem one)
Removed spare tire
Removed CD changer in trunk

Thank you!

[MENTION=8558]unc0808[/MENTION]
there is spread sheet posted here made by JMChristopher that has almost every possible weight reduction and more links to more weight reduction http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ht reduction thread - Page 33&txt=spreadsheet

As a quick rough answer:
oem exhaust is 44lbs.. pride is around 19lbs: -25lbs
oem headers 34lbs for both sides, comptech around 20lbs: -14lbs
remove spare tire: -17lbs
cd changer is: -9lbs
misc: -5lbs
total: -70lbs
2004 NSX-T is around 3175lbs so it's likely getting close to 3100 lbs now

the easiest remaining mods that are non-invasive and fully reversible are:
lithium battery -40lbs (3.5lbs for $250 http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-BTL35A480C-Lithium-Phosphate/dp/B00F9LPL5E)
replacing the heavy steel 23lbs front bumper beam with an 8lb aluminum beam like the NSXR has equals -15lbs
replacing the aluminum 17lbs na2 rear bumper beam with a lighter (8lbs) aluminum is -9lbs... or in Carbon fiber (3lbs) is -14lbs
NSXR rear spoiler -7lbs
aftermarket lightweight seats/rails -40lbs
Replace oem cats with high flow cats -12lbs
some super simple items, remove entire tool kit w/ air compressor ect -15lbs (use AAA), brake splash shields -4lbs, tow/tie down plates -4lbs. spare tire bracket -3lbs = TOTAL -25lbs
Remove the heavy and hideous hunchback under in the rear window that covers the most beautiful part of the car, which is the amazing engine and put the targa top in the trunk wrapped in a towel when necessary. -25lbs

that would equal around 2935lbs/325hp=9PW (280whp) thus 12% faster than Stock at 3175/310hp=10.2PW (268whp)
Overall balance & performance would be very comparable to a 2016 Cayman GTS (3000lbs/340hp)

Last edited:
Got this alternators which are supposed from the ADAC GT NSX race cars. Seems more than 1kg lighter, did not weight it yet

p11005623hs9s.jpg

p1100565u4sva.jpg

p11005686psfx.jpg

Got some more parts weighed

Koyo radiator is 7lbs = -2.4lbs (OEM radiator is 9.4lbs)
Oem Fan is 4.4lbs (worth looking into lighter weight aftermarket)

FWIW: contrary to some rumors, VIS Type-R carbon hoods are not heavier than OEM
VIS CF typeR hood weighed 14.8lbs (OEM is 16lbs) (DF "claims" theirs is 12.5.lbs)
http://www.downforceusa.com/aaa117

VIS Carbon fiber rear spoiler is 8.3lbs = -5.7lbs (OEM spoiler is 14lbs) (DF says theirs is 6.5lbs)

The Downforce rear CF GT diffuser weighed a total of 11.4lbs (25% heavier than DF's website claimed 8.5lbs)
it's constructed out of fiberglass with CF overlay and not CF as advertised
http://www.downforceusa.com/aaa366

The OEM front 2002 bumper is very heavy at 22.4lbs
(Would be worth replicating in CF, can save at least 15lbs)

Fender liners weigh 1.8lbs each corner (deleting them equals -7lbs)

OEM rear upper bumper cover is 11.9lb
(Would be worth replicating in CF, can save at least 7lbs)

VIS Carbon fiber hood 14.8lbs

VIS rear carbon fiber spoiler 8.3lbs

3 different rear diffuser parts total 13lbs

OEM 2002 front bumper 22.4lbs

fender liners 1.8lbs each

OEM 1992 rear upper bumper 11.9lbs

Last edited:
Thanks for the timely info, as i'm getting a Koyo radiator soon.

The NSX has been on a few diets now, but not enough to impact daily use.

I finally got a chance to weigh the car, and was anticipating ~2900-3000lbs. The car clearly needs a corner balance (!), but imagine my surprise when I saw this:

mVSU5Ac.jpg

This was with a quarter tank of gas.

Back