• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial weight reduction thread

Just arrived.
CNC Alloy Alternator Mount.

Weight 1.7Kgs compared to 6Kgs for the OEM alternator Mount.

OK I want one please let me know, if you do this and the newer starter motor that Greenberet mentioned earlier thats nearly 7kgs

Why?

Go to the 02 ABS unit or remove ABS alltogether.
Do an 02 conversion or remove the headlights for a 'blank' carbon panel.
NSX-R carbon hood
Downforce Carbon side inlets (makes a HUGE difference).
Remove passenger seat alltogether.
Remove Radio
Remove A/C & heater core
Put an aftermarket racing steering wheel on
Lexan hatch glass and engine-bay glass divider.
STMPO aluminum rear bumper.

Hey stuntman, out of all the things you listed, how does the side inlet make a huge difference?

Those things are anchors!

you mean I went through all the trouble of getting Titanium headers and exhaust, coilovers, nsx-r engine cover, removing the passenger seat and removing the spare and tools instead of just replacing the side vents?..I'm a MoRoN!!! :smile:

But seriously, I thought maybe he meant they added more air into the intake and engine bay so maybe they actually did help in a way.

Last edited:
For a second I though you said Mormon.

you mean I went through all the trouble of getting Titanium headers and exhaust, coilovers, nsx-r engine cover, removing the passenger seat and removing the spare and tools instead of just replacing the side vents?..I'm a MoRoN!!! :smile:

But seriously, I thought maybe he meant they added more air into the intake and engine bay so maybe they actually did help in a way.

the side intakes and exterior 'B' pillars are like 3kg to 4kgs each and extremely heavy for what they are, infact it makes you wonder wthwtt when they spent all that time making a light car and then put those on. the CF versions weigh nothing compared to the 12kgs or so you are removing

OK I want one please let me know, if you do this and the newer starter motor that Greenberet mentioned earlier thats nearly 7kgs

I'm getting some CNC Companies to quote on making 10
So we'll see what they say & take it from there.
I don't think it will be cheap. Just the Chunk of alloy to start is approx. $150 & it's a complex piece, even though it doesn't look like it.

Mate it's got GB written all over it, any other brackets like this can be done in there

the side intakes and exterior 'B' pillars are like 3kg to 4kgs each and extremely heavy for what they are, infact it makes you wonder wthwtt when they spent all that time making a light car and then put those on. the CF versions weigh nothing compared to the 12kgs or so you are removing
Exactly.

I need to replace my B pillars.

Just arrived.
CNC Alloy Alternator Mount.

Weight 1.7Kgs compared to 6Kgs for the OEM alternator Mount.
That is a great looking piece.

What kind of titanium headers did you get and from where???

That is good to know.

OK this has been done before but since some don't know here is an update, I did this on the wife's kitchen scales in oz so it is very scientific and correct...
The 'B' pillar weigh 99.6 oz or 2.8 kg's per side
20140417_182809.jpg
The Side Intake scoop weigh 116.4 oz or 3.3 kg's per side
20140417_182754.jpg
Total of nearly 6.2 kg's per side vs the carbon ones from I's Impact or Downforce which i haven't bothered to weigh but will at some stage since i just bought the enlarged DF ones and have the I's Impact on the car now. Obviously coming off a Red car it does not make as much difference as other colors to performance.

That's 27 lbs! :eek: Looks like I have a new shopping list. I want to stay OEM style, so can these CF pieces be painted the body color?

That's 27 lbs! :eek: Looks like I have a new shopping list. I want to stay OEM style, so can these CF pieces be painted the body color?

Yes, 27.2... that's even more than I thought originally... that's nuts.

Last edited:
easily painted just take your car with you so they can get the color match correct, and remember guys just the kitchen scales so not a perfect weight match but close enough i would say.
The Cf ones you can hardly feel the weight they are that light however for the top and bottom of the B pillar you will need to add some rubber strips to kind of match what is on the OEM pieces i just went to the local glass shop and bought some rubber strips and made some things up so it didn't rub the paint where it touched the car.

Sorry they're not titanium, DC sports, but they still save a good amount in weight
Oh, okay. You got me excited.

OK this has been done before but since some don't know here is an update, I did this on the wife's kitchen scales in oz so it is very scientific and correct...
The 'B' pillar weigh 99.6 oz or 2.8 kg's per side
View attachment 111814
The Side Intake scoop weigh 116.4 oz or 3.3 kg's per side
View attachment 111815
Total of nearly 6.2 kg's per side vs the carbon ones from I's Impact or Downforce which i haven't bothered to weigh but will at some stage since i just bought the enlarged DF ones and have the I's Impact on the car now. Obviously coming off a Red car it does not make as much difference as other colors to performance.
Thanks Scammy!

Weight reduction with unknown weight

I just thought i would post up on here about my weight reduction. Now alot of the work done to my car was done by the previous owner that tracked it at fuji speedway and the parts on the car a not cheap so i know he did things right. OOOOKKKKK. so from top to bottom.
1. The interior roof liner and all piller covers have been removed.
2. The interior carpet and all sound deadening has been removed.
3. Seats were replaced with reclineable racing seats that weight about 20lb each.
4. The shifter was replaced with nsx-r. Center dash was replaced with nsx-r carbon.
5. The steering wheels was replaced with a 320mm momo that is removeable.
6. The heater core and all heating piping was removed from the car.
7. The battery was relocated to a forward battery tray that sits right on top of the nsx-r front under diffuser. And of course is a light weight battery.
8. The abs was upgraded to the 02 version.
9. The front was converted to the 02 version with hid fixed headlights.
10. The hood was replaced with a FRP vented hood.
11. The inner engine cover was completely removed.
12. The A/C system including all piping condensor and compressor was removed.
13. The trunk was replaced with a FRP trunk.
14. The rear wing is a light weight carbon gt wing.
15. The trunk is completely striped of everything and repainted.
16. The front and rear bumper brace bars were replaced with aluminum ones.
17. The car has a Route KS wide body kit that saves no weight but is awesome.
18. The front brakes were replaced with AP racing 4 pot calipers and 2 piece rotors.
19. The wheels are 17x9 RE30 fronts and 17x10 RE30 rears in lowest offset they were made in.
20. The headers were replaced with Fujitsubo racing headers.
21. The exhaust was replaced with the Taitec GT-009 Ti exhaust that weighs like 5.4kg.
22. The tires are AD07 235 fronts and 255 rears and are very light. Japanese friend also a nsx owner that owns a honda tuning shop here in japan told me the AD07 and AD08 are the best and lightest street/racing tires money can buy and best dry traction.
23. The rear toe arms are replaced with adjustable aluminum ones.
24. I have a carbon rear GT diffuser but its only for race days as it sits to low for street driving.
25. The suspension was replaced with fully adjustable tien coilovers and rides like a go cart.
26. The inner fender duct was replaced with custom intake ducting that weighs almost nothing.
27. The entire glove box assembly was removed but i did buy a new one for street driving but ive been too lazy to install it.
28. All the lower kick panels and door trim plastics have been removed including all inner trunk plastics.
29. The lower driver side dash cover under the steering column was removed but i will buy a new one.
30. The clutch was replaced with a 2 disc racing clutch/light weight flywheel from OS Giken. The rear diff is also OS Giken super lock 4.44 gear.

I may be missing some other small stuff that was removed but the previous owner did add aluminum fender brace bars, aluminum upper and lower front brace bars and aluminum 4 point front lower brace. Also upper and lower aluminum brace bars in and under the trunk. . I plan to add carbon back bucket racing seats and lexen devider window and rear hatch with the nsx-r gt lexen cover with scoop for when i eventually install ITB's from SOS when i get back stateside. Also planning on picking up some 3 piece OZ racing wheels in 17x11 rear and 17x9.5 front. Trying to find a scale near here to weigh my baby.

- - - Updated - - -

I just thought i would post up on here about my weight reduction. Now alot of the work done to my car was done by the previous owner that tracked it at fuji speedway and the parts on the car a not cheap so i know he did things right. OOOOKKKKK. so from top to bottom.
1. The interior roof liner and all piller covers have been removed.
2. The interior carpet and all sound deadening has been removed.
3. Seats were replaced with reclineable racing seats that weight about 20lb each.
4. The shifter was replaced with nsx-r. Center dash was replaced with nsx-r carbon.
5. The steering wheels was replaced with a 320mm momo that is removeable.
6. The heater core and all heating piping was removed from the car.
7. The battery was relocated to a forward battery tray that sits right on top of the nsx-r front under diffuser. And of course is a light weight battery.
8. The abs was upgraded to the 02 version.
9. The front was converted to the 02 version with hid fixed headlights.
10. The hood was replaced with a FRP vented hood.
11. The inner engine cover was completely removed.
12. The A/C system including all piping condensor and compressor was removed.
13. The trunk was replaced with a FRP trunk.
14. The rear wing is a light weight carbon gt wing.
15. The trunk is completely striped of everything and repainted.
16. The front and rear bumper brace bars were replaced with aluminum ones.
17. The car has a Route KS wide body kit that saves no weight but is awesome.
18. The front brakes were replaced with AP racing 4 pot calipers and 2 piece rotors.
19. The wheels are 17x9 RE30 fronts and 17x10 RE30 rears in lowest offset they were made in.
20. The headers were replaced with Fujitsubo racing headers.
21. The exhaust was replaced with the Taitec GT-009 Ti exhaust that weighs like 5.4kg.
22. The tires are AD07 235 fronts and 255 rears and are very light. Japanese friend also a nsx owner that owns a honda tuning shop here in japan told me the AD07 and AD08 are the best and lightest street/racing tires money can buy and best dry traction.
23. The rear toe arms are replaced with adjustable aluminum ones.
24. I have a carbon rear GT diffuser but its only for race days as it sits to low for street driving.
25. The suspension was replaced with fully adjustable tien coilovers and rides like a go cart.
26. The inner fender duct was replaced with custom intake ducting that weighs almost nothing.
27. The entire glove box assembly was removed but i did buy a new one for street driving but ive been too lazy to install it.
28. All the lower kick panels and door trim plastics have been removed including all inner trunk plastics.
29. The lower driver side dash cover under the steering column was removed but i will buy a new one.
30. The clutch was replaced with a 2 piece racing clutch/light weight flywheel from OS Ginken. The rear diff is also OS Giken super lock 4.44 gear.

I may be missing some other small stuff that was removed but the previous owner did add aluminum fender brace bars, aluminum upper and lower front brace bars and aluminum 4 point front lower brace. Also upper and lower aluminum brace bars in and under the trunk. . I plan to add carbon back bucket racing seats and lexen devider window and rear hatch with the nsx-r gt lexen cover with scoop for when i eventually install ITB's from SOS when i get back stateside. Also planning on picking up some 3 piece OZ racing wheels in 17x11 rear and 17x9.5 front. Trying to find a scale near here to weigh my baby.
I really am hoping for at least the 2600lb range or less. Im shooting for 2500lb. I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the "corner balance/ weight reduction/ to light it will float and loose traction/ just balance of a nsx. Lets stop for a second and look at a couple cars that according to some people on here are waaaaaaaay to light to be functional. Exibit A. The Spoon racing nsx that weighs in at 2156lb. Exibit B. The Esprit nsx twin turbo which weighs around 2400lb i think. And the nsx GT cars in GT300 and GT500 that weighed around 2400lb, So you can see that weight reduction is very important and in the nsx is great because you improve acceleration, cornering, stopping distance when done right. Now the most important thing about weight reduction in a nsx is to start from the top down as best you can and also keep in mind how much your removing not only from front to rear which affects your front to rear weight ratio but also side to side which will affect cornering and handling. To much weight from the front and the rear will get super tale happy and to much from the front and it will plow with understeer. Now we all know that there is only so much that can be removed from the rear to reduce weight but if you do it right and counter balance with the front you can even the overall balance out. For instance on my car the A/C compressor was removed from the driver side of the engine ( i drive a RHD nsx ) so dont yell at me lol. Thats a good amount of weight from the right rear. So to help counter balance the battery is installed on the lower front left side. I realize this is not as perfect as a factory can do it but if you know the average weight with in a pound our 2 of what your removing or relocating then you will be able to reduce weight and counter balance as the same time. Now getting down to 2500lb is my goal but when i do get my racing alignment done with me in the car and see what the weight at all 4 corners is i can then add a little weight back on in specific locations to help balance the weight distribution of the car. So if i end up somewhere around 2600lb after the adjustments I will be happy. Anyways just thought i would say it since no one else seemed to be defending why those of us that love our cars but want to do just a little more then the average nsx owner would remove so much to the point where most would say it looks ugly or not functional. I DD my car during spring summer and fall and am not bothered by NO A/C and no heat and defrost because if its raining cats and dogs i just drive my other car. Oh yeah proper body parts that provide good down force will help keep a light weight car planted on a track even at high speeds. If it was such as bad idea then Spoon would not be racing a 2156lb car at fuji speedway at 260km plus. Just sayin.

Last edited:
Back