• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Update to NSX-Files - California Speedway

I updated the website with story and pics from California Speedway event that happened on Aug 1, 2, and 3.

Update is large, you will need a fast connection to read the story and see the pictures. There are also a Windows Media Player 9 video files of the qual race(100 meg) and the final race (71 meg) that I think will play 640x480 on a PC.

Thanks to Autowave, Comptech, and EMI Racing for making my car go exceptionally fast that weekend!

www.nsxfiles.com/stories.htm is the link, click on chapter 98.

-Doug

ohmy.gif
Great update, great videos!

Way to go!

Doug,

Have you ever thought of usign a BBSC instead of the comptech? Wouldn't it give you more power in the upper RPM needed for racing?

NetViper said:
Doug,

Have you ever thought of usign a BBSC instead of the comptech? Wouldn't it give you more power in the upper RPM needed for racing?

I used to think that I needed to have 400+ HP in my 3.0 NSX motor, and went about all different ways trying to get there, at the expense of reliability. I have given up on that approach.

My new theory is that proper suspension, aero, and brake modifications is what wins at the local club races. (and driving skill, of course) More powerful forced induction motors just seem to cause problems when you try to tweak them for max HP on the dyno. In local club road racing, the car with the most HP usually does not win, it is the car that corners and stops the best that usually wins.

So as long as I get a dependable, reliable 360-370 RWHP out of a 3.0 motor, I am a happy camper.

Also remember that things that work on the street, do not necessarily work on the track. On the track you have the car running full throttle at the redline for 20-30 minutes straight, which you never get to do on the street. I have run the Comptech supercharger in 2 hour enduros without any problems.

Of course I would rather have a nice 3.2 motor with a Comptech supercharger on it, as that might be the safe way to get 400+ RWHP with reliability, but those 3.2 motors are hard to come by, and are very expensive.

If Honda would come up with a next gen NSX with 360-380 HP, and then we could bolt on something like a comptech supercharger to give us a dependable 460-480 HP, then the car would be awesome on the track.

I've blown a lot of engines up, but I can't really pin the blame on the Comptech supercharger. Usually it is something stupid like:

1. Bad gas
2. Did a 5-2 downshift using the 6 speed tranny instead of 5-4 downshift at 120
3. NOS
4. Oil starvation on a high bank oval turn
5. Electrical/injector problems causing engine to run lean

So now I make sure I bring my own race gas to the track, I have the 5 speed which is hard to botch a downshift, I don't use NOS, I have and accusump that kicks in if the oil pressure should drop, I have a good wiring harness, all wiring connections are solid, and I carry around an extra set of injectors. I also keep my fingers crossed!

-Doug
A good day at the track is when you don't have to dick around with the engine

Just a remark from one of the last 4 Mac users in the world: You're right, Doug, animated Jenna works fine with UNIX based MacOS X and IE 5.2 for Mac. It doesn't work with OS 9.2.1.

Your 108 MB video of the quali race works partly with Mac OS X and the latest carbonized Windows media player for Mac - i.e.: you hear the sound but see no pictures - a bit less than half the pleasure Win-users may have with it. Okay - you've warned us.

If I ever make in car videos I would convert them to a mpeg file that could be read with Quicktime or whatever on both platforms. At least they would be slower than your videos - not because of the file but because of car and driver...;)

BTW, Doug: Did I mention that you and your site were one of the main reasons I went through some of the DEFCON steps to the go-fast-crack-pipe?

Doug.

Amazing. That is all I have to say. Those are the best in-car videos I have seen of the NSX.

I would also like to say that I spent a considerable amount of time reading almost every article you wrote of your racing adventures. Very entertaining.

Thanks a lot!

Doug,

That was AWESOME!!!

I luv to see the flamemobile/NSX represented against the vipers, porsche's, and vette's.

Your writeups are the best, the videos are awesome, and your humor is the icing on the cake:)

the only problem is one hit of the go-fast-crack-pipe and you are hooked for life.;) :p :D

thanks again.

Last edited:
Back