• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Upgrading our NC1s

Obviously there is a lot of interest in the Type S NC1, however there are only 350 of those vs almost 3000 2017 through 2021 cars. Acura improved the 2019 and newer cars leaving those of us with 2017 and 2018 cars as originally designed.
My 2017 has Eibach sway bars front and rear and may possibly be the only car out there. Eibach did the install in 2018. My guess is that they stopped offering them for purchase and sold exclusively to Acura for the 2019 and later cars. They are substantially thicker than the 2017 OEMs.

I recently purchased a 2019-2021 Active Damper Module and did the install yesterday. I noticed a much tighter less give in the Sport+ mode. The Sport and EV mode seemed soft as usual. This is seat of the pants and a week had passed since I last drove my car. It could all be in my mind.
I understand that the rear bushings are stiffer. I have not looked into that yet. The other area to investigate is the module for controlling the front electric motors. I believe those modules are programmable, so I am not sure how to proceed.
I wonder how many owners out there would be interested in an upgrade kit that includes sway bars and damper module changes etcetera?
I don’t believe the Type S changes would be offered to none Type S cars

I still haven't seen a drag race or track performance comparison head to head between the NC1 and Type S.
Yes, neither have I. I was speaking about the changes that occurred with the 2019 NC1. As I recall the car was two seconds faster on a Japanese track. Did I remember that correctly? While tires had/have a big improvement advantage, I suspect the other changes contributed holistically to a faster car. Of interest there was no mention of improvement or degradation in normal driving. Perhaps that is where the Sport driving mode is recommended.

I agree tires and skill have more to do with a lap time...The 1/4 mile would also be about RT/atmospheric conditions and track prep. In the end the modest bump in power unit and the other tweaks are more talking points. For me the most attractive change is the front and rear body work.

I suspect that Acura won't want to offer the bumpers front and rear, as well as the other items associated with the Type S. Just as was the case with previous generation NSXs, a vin number of a car was required before one could order specific parts for say a Type R as I understand. The other thing to keep in mind is that the engine changes would require a engine removal which would add a significant cost. While the intercoolers can be had, the turbos require a lot more labor. And just changing those components will not result in improved performance without the ECU enhancements. I am absolutely sure Acura will not do that part. So practically speaking the rest of us can upgrade the chassis without too much hassle and cost.

I am still getting comfortable with the damper changes that I made. The car does ride a bit harsher in the Sport+ mode. I haven't decided whether I like it enough to keep it or go back to my original setup. I do have the Mich tires and the Eibach sway bars which I like a lot. I find that I drive in Sport + pretty much all the time. Ironic in that while I support electric cars, I still enjoy the sound of an exhaust (with SOS Downpipes)

As for the performance of the Type S NC1, I expect to see a significant improvement over the 2019 car at the same track. The improvements are comprehensive in that they comprise improvements in tire, suspension, electric motors (front), engine cooling, turbo boost, shifting, etcetera while maintaining reliability. I almost suspect an improvement not unlike 97 NSX over the 96 NSX. The small increase in torque and horsepower resulted in improvements greater than the components parts which testifies to what Acura/Honda can do. Incremental improvement.
I currently do not track my car and probably won't, so daily drivability is more relevant then bragging rights.

I just saw a 2001 stock NSX fetch $170k. It only had 14k miles. When I sold mine which included Comptech Supercharger, Racing Brake, Honda Nav, and a bunch of carbon fiber components along with all the stock stuff I felt lucky getting $80k with under 40k miles. That was back in 2016. Boy how time changes things.....

Of course this is all personal, but I feel that my 2020 NC1 is perfect as-is. I don't want aftermarket bolt-ons, nor do I want a Type-S. The Type-S "enhancements" may result in a few tenths of a second improvement on a track (which I will never experience) but with unacceptable (to me) compromises in terms of daily driving. I also feel the Type-S aesthetic changes are downgrades rather than improvements, as they take away from the near-perfect balance of the base NC1 between aggression and sexiness.

what about the Type S ruins the DD aspects:unsure:
Please elaborate on the imbalance of sexy/aggressiveness ...

Of course this is all personal, but I feel that my 2020 NC1 is perfect as-is. I don't want aftermarket bolt-ons, nor do I want a Type-S. The Type-S "enhancements" may result in a few tenths of a second improvement on a track (which I will never experience) but with unacceptable (to me) compromises in terms of daily driving. I also feel the Type-S aesthetic changes are downgrades rather than improvements, as they take away from the near-perfect balance of the base NC1 between aggression and sexiness.
You make a excellent point. I am more or less experimenting with what I can do, with the understanding that I can easily remove stuff and go back To stock. I just purchased the front electric motor module for a 2019 and up NC1. Not sure what changes occurred but will try it out for the fun of it. I am still getting use to the increased stiffness associated with the modified Damper module. Up until the change I preferred driving in the Sport+ mode. Now I am not so sure. I am driving on roads rather then on the track so road quality is very material.

As for your observation concerning the look of the car 2017-2021 vs 2022 Type S, I agree. At the Long Beach Grand Prix I was parked next to a Type S. I prefer the front end of my car as well as the rear of the car. Certainly an opinion for sure. The Type S sort of reminds me of a car that is meant to look more aggressive “Race Car like”. Nothing wrong, I wouldn’t kick it out of bed. HaHa

Attachments

• E2863ED8-39A5-422A-9640-EF5405D2216D.jpeg
    E2863ED8-39A5-422A-9640-EF5405D2216D.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 37
  • F07B790E-4F58-4C3C-92B8-F56766974EBC.jpeg
    F07B790E-4F58-4C3C-92B8-F56766974EBC.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Okay, keep in mind these are my opinions; others can of course disagree but since I was asked...

The more aggressive throttle response and suspension on the Type-S can't help but make the car less comfortable for daily driving. One of the things that made me fall in love with the NC1 originally was how it can carve up a track like nobody's business but be just as livable as an Accord on regular streets and highways. Taking away that near-perfect balance is a step in the wrong direction (for me).

As for the looks, again the original NC1 was meticulously designed and engineered such that every curve, bump, inlet, etc. had a purpose and it shows in how elegantly everything flows together no matter what angle you're looking at. For the Type-S they destroyed that gestalt in favor of a few bolted-on mods that look like they were stolen from the Corvette factory. So now it's like an otherwise in-shape guy who took 'roids and worked too hard on his biceps--things are out of proportion and just don't "work" together as a cohesive whole anymore.

I love my biceps :p

I had purchased the twin electric motor module for 2019 thru 2021 NSX. After reviewing the location and what is associated with removal and replacement I decided to not pursue this mod. I accessed the Honda Tech/device via a subscription. I would have to pull the seats, the carpet to gain access to the location of the Module that controls the twin electric motors. Way too much work for an unknown potential for improvement.

Interesting. Aesthetically, I have also found that I like the original front design better than the Type S. It looks more exotic and complex (not busy, but got more details). Re: the rear, I do like the Type S design a bit more than the original. Regardless, both are beautiful cars and will continue to age well.

Wow - I didn't realize that there were only 3,000 made between '17-'21. That's 1/3rd of the gen 1 production number (granted, they were sold for more years).

And the 3000 NC1s is World Wide. Approximately 1810 (including the 300 US Type S) in the US. As for the 1991 thru 2005, I found the following information:
  • Since the NSX was an almost hand-built car produced on its own assembly line, the overall production number is relatively low at exactly 18,685 vehicles built for 15 years. Of that number, 8997 vehicles were sold in the United States and 701 in Canada.
So when you consider the very low number of NC1s around, frankly I am surprised they are as inexpensive as they are. Another way to think about it is that for every NC1 there are 6 NSXs

Last edited:
So when you consider the very low number of NC1s around, frankly I am surprised they are as inexpensive as they are. Another way to think about it is that for every NC1 there are 6 NSXs

Perhaps, history is repeating itself. Like how the Gen 1 NSX was misunderstood and underappreciated for so many years. And now the NC1. When it first came out, everyone was like, What??? That's not an NSX!! Electric hybrid? Now, Ferraris, Lambos, Mclarens... they are all following, but haven't figured out how to make them reliable!

Perhaps, history is repeating itself. Like how the Gen 1 NSX was misunderstood and underappreciated for so many years. And now the NC1. When it first came out, everyone was like, What??? That's not an NSX!! Electric hybrid? Now, Ferraris, Lambos, Mclarens... they are all following, but haven't figured out how to make them reliable!
I agree. I think Honda did it again. Every time I wash and dry the car, I find myself marveling at the lines of the car and how it looks as a package.

I agree. I think Honda did it again. Every time I wash and dry the car, I find myself marveling at the lines of the car and how it looks as a package.
there is a joke there somewhere...;)

It would be nice if the NC1 garners more love in the future
Different context than Gen 1 for sure
As we all have seen these days many folks are going the C8 route or toward big dollar McLaren and Ferrari toys

I find the original more attractive than the type S, except for that sweet Gotham gray.

The most challenging upgrade might be the different gear ratio for the front electric motors. The best upgrade in my opinion would be putting the car on a diet, or a bigger, stronger battery. I know that’s going two different directions in terms of weight. However, perhaps one of the things that makes the heavy car a great daily driver like the GTR is that it doesn’t need any downforce at fun “in town” speeds between 25 and 55 mph.

Honda wants us to save our pennies and trade up a overvalued, preowned type S, or wait for the GEN 3. (It was bad PR when 2017 NC1 was selling for $110,000 or sitting on the lot.) Which, having just driven my friend’s 1100 hp lucid, I would consider.

Maybe science as speed is working on something based on the type S?

I find the original more attractive than the type S, except for that sweet Gotham gray.

The most challenging upgrade might be the different gear ratio for the front electric motors. The best upgrade in my opinion would be putting the car on a diet, or a bigger, stronger battery. I know that’s going two different directions in terms of weight. However, perhaps one of the things that makes the heavy car a great daily driver like the GTR is that it doesn’t need any downforce at fun “in town” speeds between 25 and 55 mph.

Honda wants us to save our pennies and trade up a overvalued, preowned type S, or wait for the GEN 3. (It was bad PR when 2017 NC1 was selling for $110,000 or sitting on the lot.) Which, having just driven my friend’s 1100 hp lucid, I would consider.

Maybe science as speed is working on something based on the type S?
Good to see other folks experiencing a Lucid.
I have only driven mine a couple of times around the city, hoping to get it on the highway for some fun this weekend.
For me, I enjoy the cars I have and if something new comes out of interest, I go for that (not the mods type myself but I completely enjoy and appreciate a nicely upgraded ride).

The original NC1 was designed as a tract monster with the ability to daily drive. The subsequent improvements have been focused on improving the track performance envelop. So for the most part, the major changes with the Type S vs the 2017 NC1 will not be realized on the street. I find it hard to imagine the car driven on the street behaving very differently Given how well it behaves now. There is some antidotal data supporting this observation. Yet I find myself wanting to have all the improvements.
While I have yet to experience a Lucid, I have driven a Tesla Plaid, and that was scary fast. Congrats on getting what sounds like an extraordinary BEV.

why do you guys think the S sold out in minutes....

I tend to oversimplify
I see 3 buckets
FOMO
Type S addressed enough of the issues the folks on the fence had with NC1
Speculators

I consider myself the average bloke...besides the 3 very concise baskets/buckets from bricks

my personal reasons: the old front was the least attractive feature. The car always needed a 6 handle on power unit. The last hybrid nsx from acura...The limited type S thing was just some sugar....but the future value impact is real.

Back