• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Urgent Engine Pre-lube Q?

Here is my problem my 91 NSX has not been started for 1 & 1/2 years.
>How do I safely start the engine up? What do I put above the pistons to keep from scaring them or worse seizing up?? Oil or WD-40?

1). My concern is that because the cylinders are at an angle then a teaspoon of Oil will only lube 1/2 the ring.

2). I was told by 2 mechanics that WD-40 is safe to pre-lube. Yeah, I could see doing that on a Chevy350, but a VTEC? Then again, I would think WD-40 would be much easier to spray around the cylinder walls than using a teaspoon of oil. Also WD-40 would prevent a hydro-lock.

Is WD-40 bad for the inside of the VTEC engine in such a small amount? Would it hurt my oil pump & filter??

Please help me here ASAP,
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Use the search. This one was discussed about a month ago on a car that has sat for 2 years, and the census from everyone is just start the car (after an oil change, that is). Make sure you have a good battery. Our cars sit for periods of time ranging from 1 day to 2 years, and the oil will drain to the pan either way. The search is your friend!!

Much Thanks for the Reply NSX24.

Indeed, I have read about the NSX not started for 2yrs. I guess out of the 10 postings to Mr.2yrs, 3 people said Pre-lube with teaspoon of Oil. But, I already explained my concern there. I'm still in the Pre-lube camp for now.

I am mostly curious IF it is safe to Pre-lube my (Cylinder wall’s/Piston Ring’s) with WD-40? Or if that is a Big No-No? Will WD-40 hurt the inside of my engine?

Thanks again for the help, but still need advise on WD-40 Pre-Lube.

I just started my NSX after It was stored for 2 years. I bought it from my brother. In was stored during the 2 year period. I just cranked it up and it started Fine. You can spray WD 40. I doubt WD 40 will hurt anything inside the combustion camber. if your plugs are out.

couple of thoughts.
1. it is really a pain to pulll all the plug to spray lube inside the motor.

2. If you must pre lube. you can aways just unplug the ignition fuse and let the fuel lube the cylinder wall. But you will have to blow out all the fuel before starting the car. (hence longer cranking time before it will fire)

Fuel do have some lubrating properties and also it will be a good solvent for what ever you need to blow out.

Maybe my concern is completely wrong, but i was wondering if the lambda's are going to be allright with this :confused:
Its commonly known NOT to use any WD-40 or any other liquid to remove your lamda's, since the stuff will harm the lamda's, which you really don't wanna do, especially on a NSX.
The lambda's will be exposed to the goodies sprayed into your cylinders.

Just a thought, no idea if it is harmfull.
I would just start her up.

Mich

Ok guys,

I guess I will just fire her up with a dry shot! No pre-lube. Just trying to baby the engine i suppose.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back