• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Used cars with great resale value?

Not a chance. The aluminum chassis on the Z8 are prone to warpage that makes the car all but worthless. There is still ongoing litigation as BMW left the owners high and dry on this one and refuse to admit that the engineers messed up.

Yeah I heard about that. That's really gotta suck. I don't think I've heard anything positive about BMW warranty support.

Yeah I heard about that. That's really gotta suck. I don't think I've heard anything positive about BMW warranty support.

I could tell you several postive experiences I have had with BMW. One of which was BMW replacing 3k in parts at their cost after the X-5 was out of warranty for several months and 10k miles. I really think the BMW dealer here has to go the extra mile because there is a very small group of people who can afford their cars here and they know that to be the case. If they piss off enough of that small group they won't havea dealership here anymore.

I could tell you several postive experiences I have had with BMW. One of which was BMW replacing 3k in parts at their cost after the X-5 was out of warranty for several months and 10k miles. I really think the BMW dealer here has to go the extra mile because there is a very small group of people who can afford their cars here and they know that to be the case. If they piss off enough of that small group they won't havea dealership here anymore.

That's good to hear. I'm really thinking about ditching the M3 and getting a 135i when they come out, but I know I won't be able to keep myself from cranking up the boost!

My reply doesn't fit your criteria, but deserves mention:

I once had a 1969 VW Beetle, blue w/ white interior w/ a factory sunroof (had a '73 too, but the '69 was more fun), so I'd say a 1960's era Volkswagen Beetle Type 1. Orig MSRP on them was around $1500-$1800 by the late sixties. Find one in clean/restored/original condition and you will pay 3-4x MSRP for it.

Over 40 years has passed, millions were sold, and that car can still get more than MSRP today. What other car out there, that sold millions of units, can still get 3-4x MSRP today?

Last edited:
My 03 Mitsu evo was 28,000 New. I traded it in on a 06 Evo MR and got 24,500 with 49k miles, hit in the front left with a ripping seat :) I also had a friend who totaled one and made 4k on it. It was also listed as one of the top 10 cars to hold it value.

93-98 Supra.... how can you get better resale than being worth more used than brand new :wink: (not counting really really rare/antique cars)

No they don't. TL is one of the worst.

I didn't find that to be the case when I was looking for a used 3rd gen TL earlier this year. Even an 04 was still going for close to 30K which made no sense to me when you could get an 07 for not much more than 30K. Which is of course why I ended up with one of the worst depreciating cars I've ever seen. An 03 G35 sedan for almost $25K under the original sticker price. 03 G35 for $12K (loaded with nav) or 04 TL (without nav) for $28K..... hmmmm..... let... me... think.....

MKIV Supra TT
MR2
older 1984+ 300ZX - made money on that car, kept it mint

Honda S2000. A good condition 2000 S2000 is still selling for $16K, or more than half its original cost even after seven years. They lose value moderately in the first three years, then tighten up quickly. The price difference between a 2005 ($23K) and a 2001 ($17K) is only about $6K these days.

I didn't find that to be the case when I was looking for a used 3rd gen TL earlier this year. Even an 04 was still going for close to 30K which made no sense to me when you could get an 07 for not much more than 30K. Which is of course why I ended up with one of the worst depreciating cars I've ever seen. An 03 G35 sedan for almost $25K under the original sticker price. 03 G35 for $12K (loaded with nav) or 04 TL (without nav) for $28K..... hmmmm..... let... me... think.....

12k for an 03 G35 w/Nav sounds awesome. That is exactly what I am thinking about doing for an everyday driver. Where did you find that?

12k for an 03 G35 w/Nav sounds awesome. That is exactly what I am thinking about doing for an everyday driver. Where did you find that?

Just googling various used car sites and didn't limit the location of my search. The woman was asking 14K originally, I offered her 12K and she took it. It was in AZ, I'm in MA, I found an AZ shop to do a PPI, it needed tires and a few other small things so I just ordered parts and had them sent to the shop, then flew out and drove it home. Probably cost me $1000 in parts, labor and transportation so add that into the price. Interestingly enough, she drove the car to the airport and had a friend follow her in his car. The friend turned out to be a fellow NSX owner and prime member. Small world.

I just went back and checked my notes, this particular one I found on autotrader.com. Actually you know, my notes say that, but that's not correct now that I just looked at the site format.

Last edited:
96 Viper GTS blue with white stripes. Could have bought one 3 years ago with sub 10K miles for 45K. You are looking at closer to 50K today. I had a red 98 GTS in 2004 with 6K miles. I paid 45.5K for it. Sold it last year with 11K miles for 45K.

Back