• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Using NSX engine in a different car

I have a plan to put an NSX engine ('96 DBW type) into a lighter car. But the chap I was hoping would do the work already has a long-term GT40 job that's turning out to be a nightmare. He is reluctant to take on another big project full of unknowns.

I then found another builder who asked an awkward question - whether the NSX ECU is happy to run outside the car without any connection to all of these fancy bits (TCS, ABS, EPS, etc, etc). If it isn't, he says it would be very expensive - even before paying for fabrication of one-off driveshafts, exhaust, etc. Nice to have a reality check!
smile.png

So my question is: can you fool an NSX ECU into thinking it's in an NSX when it isn't? Is it a matter of fixing certain sensors inputs to hi/lo, or is the dialogue between the ECU and other electronics rather more complicated than that?

(I know that an aftermarket ECU is an option, but I'd like to know about the NSX ECU first).

http://www.superstreetonline.com/featuredvehicles/130_0303_signal_chopped_honda_civic_nsx_engine/

As far as the engine itself is concerned, the pistons, camshafts (Toda), and valvesprings have all been upgraded. It's still hard to fathom that an engine originally intended for a mid-chassis design is actually sitting within the engine compartment of a FWD Civic hatchback. The individual throttle body configuration was equally difficult and required a great deal of modification to the wiring harness in order to make it functional.

I always thought it would be fun to put in in the trunk area of a Del Sol. There have been mid engine Del Sols built but none of them were what I would call absurdly powerful.

The ECU will run without the other boxes connected. It will light up an error code, but it's an engine swap so that was likely to happen anyway. ABS and EPS missing will light up those lights on the dash, I believe, whereas missing TCS will throw a CEL.

Please god don't put our beloved NSX engine into something like a civic or accord please god.....

ok so yeah im doing that to an extent... Ive built a RWD eg9 civic. Mated a C30A to a s2000 gearbox. mildly worked motor with a fair few dollars spent getting it all right. Will be running a full Link ecu to control everything and just run basically the same tune as factory to an extent. would be the best bet in my opinion as its going to experience different things as its not going to be how it was intended from factory and that im sure will have big effects somewhere :)

its been done in a civic if im not mistaken. Looked ridiculous, chassis was all hacked up and it the engine sat inside the actual cabin of the car.

Why would you do this? Nsx engine is big, has big heads (for the Dohc) and is expensive. Wouldn't it make more sense to use a k24 or a j35/37 and save 8 grand for more mods

i sourced a nearly complete motor fairly cheap.. was already building it for a f20c. All up is not to heavy, alot of alloy. fits between un modified arches and bonnet will close as factory. Why not? your level of power at my rear wheels. in Nz a k series is still expensive and the nsx a rarity in itself almost :) i looked for my best idea and this was it. Sourcing a body was out of the question. At this stage anyway.

All that matters in the end is that it is what you want to . I currently own c30, f22, j35, f20, and two variants of k24 (both direct injected and port injected). I can tell you that the c30/32, k24 and b16 are honda at Hondas best

Keep us updated

yeah and ive gone all OEM in parts everywhere i can with my own added safetys and setup to keep it all working how it should :) happily put up here once is finished. with comparisons of different head setups eventually and intakes. I realise this is not up to everyones standards but im 22, this is just my side project spawned from loving N/A hondas and this has been my project for a while now im trying to do it right. Fully road legal.
2013-05-02_19-09-46_720_zps4cc7fc06.jpg
S2000 gearbox and c30a block mated. still runs a S2000 flywheel and clutch too.
2013-02-08_16-55-29_64_zps0f66c70f.jpg
Still a 4 seater EG9 will be painted and carpeted in the end.

Custom reground cams, comptech cams gears, sump baffle etc. lots more done haha

Attachments

• P1050882.jpg
    P1050882.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
I have a feeling that the hood will not be shutting, lol. HOnda Muscle car with the blower hanging out? hahaha

with my planned itb setup it should close, and it currently closes :) dont want to modify my hood but its not out of the question for a significantly better intake option

Thanks guys - I appreciate the ideas and pointers. Seems our UK's NSXs have an ECU with immobiliser and that could/would make it tricky without going to AEM/etc.

My target car is a Lancia Stratos replica. 980kg (about 2000 pounds?)

elevy29.jpg

It's a big old clamshell rear-end, so fitting should raise fewer problems than a Civic build (famous last words...). One thing - the V6 Alfa engine in there at the moment is a 60-degree V, so it's a little bit more compact. It's a nice engine but it does not feel or sound or rev anywhere as sweetly as the C30.

I'm in awe of you guys who have the skills and garages to do this sort of thing yourself. I'd be paying some guy to do it all. Not sure if I need to be talked out of it, or words of encouragement... :D So feel free to contribute either!

I think NSXPRIME hates the idea of our engine going into another car but.......... we def support gearheads and pushing the limits on creativity.

goodluck and keep posting in this thread nice to see how it turns out.

with your skills you should save to buy a real NSX and put that creativity into an NSX.

goodluck bro

Guy on Acuralegendsforum.com put a NSX engine in his Legend.

I have personally seen Mr Envys NSX engine in the civic build, he took an unloved engine sitting in a garage from a wrecked car (dont know where shell is) and is turning it into a very classy build, it may not be going back in an NSX shell but it will be a very well built C30 running again, the only thing that annoyes me about his build is his C30 will probably go faster than mine.....

MrEnvy - looks like some great working going on there. One Q: when you changed to a longitudinal layout, did you do anything regarding potential oil starvation issues?

I'm not sure (yet) of how the oil is picked up in the C30 engine, but a very knowledgeable member on the UK forum mentioned it as something that I need to check/consider. I guess the idea is that the oil pick-up layout has been designed by some super smart guys to work with the orientation and angle within the NSX body; it may not work as well in different positions.

In other news, it now seems that ditching the DBW ECU/etc is a better bet for avoiding most of the sensor/immobiliser requirements.

On the oiling side of things it will run a sump baffle and full oil accumulator setup, all -12an with external cooler and filter, was looking at the factory option enlargened sumps and wouldnt rule one out in the future. will have Aftermarket pump gears also. alots being spent on helping the oil get where it needs to if anyone has any other reasonable ideas please let me know :) yeah but you will also find most aftermarket ecus have the ability to retain DBW now, i know for a fact my link ECU can. Yeah im hoping to do the previously unloved motor a bit of TLC as they are beautiful.

Back