• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

vBulletin 4.x upgrade

I have noticed if you do a search like we all tell the new members " use the search button " it doesnt pull anything up.

now if you then go to google and do the same search it comes up.

also if you post something and then want to edit-it it asks you for a reason for the edit you type it in and then save. nothing happens you need to refresh the page if it will refresh, and then edit again if you do it in under 10 seconds it will save like it should.

just posting what I am finding.

I have noticed if you do a search like we all tell the new members " use the search button " it doesnt pull anything up.

now if you then go to google and do the same search it comes up.

Well it depends what you are searching for, but the status of search was already discussed above and hasn't changed yet.

also if you post something and then want to edit-it it asks you for a reason for the edit you type it in and then save. nothing happens you need to refresh the page if it will refresh, and then edit again if you do it in under 10 seconds it will save like it should.

just posting what I am finding.

For folks like you and NSXTASY who are seeing weirdness from the new editor.. I suggest you try configuring your account to use a different editor. The setting is in the bottom block on your general options setting page: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions.

If you really want to fix WSYWIG, the problem may be some browser plug-in you've got installed so you could try disabling them all and see if it works then. Also make sure you're running the latest version and in the case of IE you can try toggling compatibility mode and/or some of these settings: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/webpages-look-incorrect-in-Internet-Explorer

I suggest you try configuring your account to use a different editor. The setting is in the bottom block on your general options setting page: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions - try "Advanced" instead of WYSYWIG.
Advanced? It shows me these three options:

• Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
  • Basic Editor - A simple text box
  • Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

I don't remember ever overriding this, but FWIW, mine has Standard Editor selected, not WYSIWIG.

I just noticed this when I was editing a post, and I captured it in the screen shot below. Look closely at the last paragraph of the post; the first two paragraphs don't have any repetition.

Now that I think of it, I don't know whether this happens when posting a reply initially, or only when going back and editing it. But at least here is an example where you can see the repetition for yourself.

I saw the same thing once today after clicking preview post before submiting. It wasn't editing an old post.

Win7 64bit, IE 9 Standard editor

Mike

Last edited:
Is it possible to request some new smileys? Can't take too long to implement one plugin that will take this forum completely out of the late 90s, early 00s. :)

Is it possible to request some new smileys? Can't take too long to implement one plugin that will take this forum completely out of the late 90s, early 00s. :)

As someone who has administrated/maintained forums...plugins are of the devil (make for lots of extra work around upgrading...should be avoided unless providing necessary function...extra smileys I wouldn't consider necessary). Then again, I'm not Lud and am not speaking for him or this site.

I can understand the added escrow service for protection but the previous layout was already clean and easy to use, not because its old. The new layout is not.
although the Chat is now in your face, it adds more noise to the site topic wise and its all over the map. I prefer topic specific/more organized like before.

I don't really understand what you are referring to here. What was more topic specific / organized before? I didn't restructure the forum categories. Please elaborate.

Could be that the bookmark that used to take us to the forum list now takes us to the Activity thing instead. I was pretty confused by that the first time and ended up making new bookmarks for my various devices. Is there a particular reason you did that?

To be more clear, this URL - http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/ no longer takes one to the forum as might be expected.

Last edited:
Could be that the bookmark that used to take us to the forum list now takes us to the Activity thing instead. I was pretty confused by that the first time and ended up making new bookmarks for my various devices. Is there a particular reason you did that?

I see. That's just how the software works. If someone wants to go do a different view by default (main forum list, new post search, etc.), they can easily update their bookmark as you mentioned.

what Skippy said and the previous version has all the topics (new/old) in a organized fashion and relatively categorized accordingly which was nice. but now the Chat is in my face and topics can be all over the map so its more like yapping than chatting. IMO it turns a classy site to more a juvey pond.

what Skippy said and the previous version has all the topics (new/old) in a organized fashion and relatively categorized accordingly which was nice.

I really am still not following. When you hit "new posts" on the old version it was sorted by timestamp, not forum. That is still the case.

The only thing I can see that's different now is the "What's New" tab, aka the "activity view." And if you don't like that, just change your bookmark and then you won't see it unless you click on the What's New button.

If I am misunderstanding then please give me the URL to the part of the site that is now "all over the map" which used to be more organized.. I'd like to take a look at it and see if it can be improved.

but now the Chat is in my face and topics can be all over the map so its more like yapping than chatting.

You can turn off the chat interface if you don't like it. The setting is here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions

Note: Not all users see chat. I'm just testing it right now w/ various user groups. So if someone else is reading this and doesn't know what we're talking about, don't worry, you're just not part of the test group.

I really am still not following. When you hit "new posts" on the old version it was sorted by timestamp, not forum. That is still the case.

The only thing I can see that's different now is the "What's New" tab, aka the "activity view." And if you don't like that, just change your bookmark and then you won't see it unless you click on the What's New button.

I'm not able to refresh the "new post" option and it only gives me 24hrs of updates. I like it better than the "What's new" option because the "What's new" button gives every reply to a thread which is too repetative.

You can turn off the chat interface if you don't like it. The setting is here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions

Note: Not all users see chat. I'm just testing it right now w/ various user groups. So if someone else is reading this and doesn't know what we're talking about, don't worry.

I don't see the usefullness with the chat box. Is there a reason for it? I'm glad you've given us an opt-out choice.

Who would've known that "change" was going to be so difficult. :wink:

I'm not able to refresh the "new post" option and it only gives me 24hrs of updates.

It doesn't sound to me like you are actually clicking the "new posts" option. It refreshes every time I click it (which is easy to verify because the URL is a new search ID number each time I click it). And shows all new posts, not just 24 hours. See below for what you need to be clicking on. If you ARE clicking on that and aren't getting the result I described, please send or post a screenshot of what you're getting.

Attachments

• new_posts.PNG
    new_posts.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 136
I don't see the usefullness with the chat box. Is there a reason for it? I'm glad you've given us an opt-out choice.

The reason is simply to see how it works out. First I was just testing to see if it functioned correctly on a technical level. Next I may open it up to more people. If it doesn't seem to add value I may ultimately get rid of it entirely. It works well on a lot of sites so I thought I'd give it a try here.

Who would've known that "change" was going to be so difficult. :wink:

Only as difficult as you make it ;-)

Thanks for the new smileys! :watermelon:

so is there a difference between the "new post" tab, and the "todays post" tab ,and if not is the redundancy needed?

so is there a difference between the "new post" tab, and the "todays post" tab ,and if not is the redundancy needed?
I'm not sure where you're seeing those tabs. But at least in the old version of the website, "new posts" would display up to 250 topics that you have not visited since their most recent post (even if those topics are several days old), whereas "today's posts" would display only topics that you have not visited since their most recent post AND were updated that same day. HTH

for me the new post tab is on the black bar and the today post tab is on the drop down from the quick link on the same black bar line ...hth

Today's post shows threads active in the last 24 hrs.

New posts shows threads active since you last read them, which could be hours, day, or weeks.

You know, what was done here with this software is really fundamentally not much different from what's continually done with other generally used software, like e-mail programs. I think mostly to seem cutting-edge,
and in the case of heavily used/sold software like hotmail and similar, because of giant support staffs that need to justify their existence, changes are made. These are fine, and usually add little to my experience. They simply add a few minutes to relearn what's changed. Most of these changes, fortunately for me, usually are
to non-basic features of the software that I rarely or never use. Unfortunately, almost always something is done to make the basic features that most use routinely just a little harder to use. Not surprisingly that's happened here.
Not that I don't appreciate the existence of NSX Prime.....

Back