• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Video: NSX engine blows up on nitrous

David,
Yes,it is my car. What happened was the shop that installed the Nitrous Express wet kit for me did not bother checking the spark plugs. After the engine mishap I called Nitrous Express to get some help as to what might have happened. The first question from the tech was "are you running platinum plugs?" I went back out to the dyno room and had the tech at the shop pull them out and he alsomst shit, they were the factory platinum plugs. After doing a compression check on the cylinders, I had 220psi on all cylinders except 30 on the #5. The whole tip of the plug was blown off. I had the engine removed and shipped out to Gerry Johnson to completely beef up. When he got it apart the tip of the plug had lodged under the #5 intake valve, Gerry removed it and it was fine. I had already ordered all the stuff to rebuild the engine so I went ahead as planned. I am going to be running a twin turbo, and a 125 direct port nitrous setup on it now.

Originally posted by DONYMO:

The other turbo car was Ben Beckert. He just converted to Mitsubishi turbos and even arrived 1 day late since he was converting from Bell TT to these Mitsubishis. He had some oil-related problems, but his turbo system was really not complete yet. He ran many of the track sessions, but the smoke coming from his blow-by became a problem when he was hitting the accelerator hard. This, of course, was not an issue on the "track session" back to the hotel each night
wink.gif

Just to clarify a few things: On Ben Beckert’s car, it wasn’t a blow-by problem… We don’t have much room for turbo's in the NSX, so the turbo's have to be located below the engine. If you use an oil fed turbo, an external oil pump is necessary to pump the oil back to the pan. The turbo's were getting un-regulated oil pressure, and the last minute pump choice wasn’t sufficient to evacuate the oil out of the turbo's at high revs (Or 95 psi), so the oil would bleed past the seals into the exhaust… only at high rpm, and that’s why it created so much smoke. At Texas Motor Speedway, Ben shifted below 5000 rpm (Lower oil pressure), and had no or very little smoke.

Also… if you follow road racing with multiple types of cars and setups, you will find that turbo's do in-fact see the most power loss on very hot days. But they usually make the most power during cooler days.

Always tradoffs, but I would go SC for road racing and NOS for drag racing.

Originally posted by NSXEE:
Originally posted by DONYMO:
Also… if you follow road racing with multiple types of cars and setups, you will find that turbo's do in-fact see the most power loss on very hot days. But they usually make the most power during cooler days.

Always tradoffs, but I would go SC for road racing and NOS for drag racing.

Which is why you see so many SCs in road racing, such as the Realtime NSX, and uh, um, uh, hmmm... You did say that you follow road racing didn't you?
wink.gif

Sorry, but if turbos do lose more on a hot day at the track it's mostly because they were making more to begin with. To date I’ve not seen an SC better suited to road racing than a turbo of equivalent peak HP because the turbo will still have more area under the power curve. Lately there are more people playing with SCc to get peak boost sooner, then level off in an effort to approximate tubos, but I doubt you can find many yet in serious racing. The Realtime NSX is the one I can think of, production based or otherwise, with a non-OEM SC. Times may change, but historically I'd certainly disagree that SC is better on the track.

Originally posted by NSXEE:
...I would go SC for road racing ...

So 911 Turbo owners are encouraged to stay away from road racing?

What was Ferrari thinking when they put in turbos in the F40?

BTW, the Audi S4 with its bi-turbos gave PD's SC NSX a LOT of trouble in the World Challenge GT series.

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 21 November 2002).]

And speaking of the Speed Challenge, fun competition but comparing cars based on those races is not much more valid than with NASCAR. It wouldn't matter whether PD or anyone else ran SC, turbo, or mice on steroids. The rules are massaged continuously to keep the racing close, adding weight, reducing power, etc. In other words, it's more about entertainment than real competition. But I still enjoy some of the moves, like D. Bell passing the Porsche on the inside entering the kink at Road America. Not bad for an old man!

Originally posted by nsxlover:
David,
Yes,it is my car. What happened was the shop that installed the Nitrous Express wet kit for me did not bother checking the spark plugs.
Rob, man I finally saw the vid at work today.a buddy wanted to cap on me because he knows I run the gigle gas.man your car was cranking out to warp 10 then when I saw the kaboom I was like oh shit.you are very lucky indeed.just the strap heated up and broke off huh? well when you get your motor back from gerry it will be one sick turbo nos nsx.cant wait to see the dyno on that set up.you are going to manage it with the aem unit?and wide band o2 sensor?the one kit from the aussie dont require welding in the sensor it is threaded for the standard 18 mm pattern and will screw right into taitec straight pipes you could run the o2 to one and egt to the other.with the internals done,wide band sensor and all the stuff the aem does..it does have a nos setup also I think you will not hear anymore kabooms.as an after thought.I saw what you were laying down with just the direct port minus a turbo.have you thought to get a progresive controller to ease the nos into the mix,it would really help with traction.I would run it with no turbo on a shot like that. keep me posted
best regards david
ps use the copper ngk plugs

Originally posted by nsxlover:
David,
Yes,it is my car. What happened was the shop that installed the Nitrous Express wet kit for me did not bother checking the spark plugs. After the engine mishap I called Nitrous Express to get some help as to what might have happened. The first question from the tech was "are you running platinum plugs?" I went back out to the dyno room and had the tech at the shop pull them out and he alsomst shit, they were the factory platinum plugs. After doing a compression check on the cylinders, I had 220psi on all cylinders except 30 on the #5. The whole tip of the plug was blown off. I had the engine removed and shipped out to Gerry Johnson to completely beef up. When he got it apart the tip of the plug had lodged under the #5 intake valve, Gerry removed it and it was fine. I had already ordered all the stuff to rebuild the engine so I went ahead as planned. I am going to be running a twin turbo, and a 125 direct port nitrous setup on it now.

Ahh it's your car that is at Altered right now...
smile.gif
I called them to check on the new Haltech system and they said they are working on a TT NSX... What FMU are you going to use? BTW my engine did blow up from low octane gas @ 180MPH :p

If AEM really gets their unit out soon I will be using that. If not I will use the HKS F-Con. Altered is not the ones that did the install on the nitrous. That was done at a shop in westminster. Altered is very good with their work. Not the cheapest though. You get what you pay for. They have a vast knowledge of tunning cars. Are you going to the meeting tomorrow in Va? I will be there. I will be in the Black Mercedes ML 320. Hope to see everyone there.

Rob Hunt

Back