• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Viper or NSX?

I am currently considering a NSX, preferably 01 or older, because I find myself hating the 02+ body style; but at the same time I find myself drawn to 1st and 2nd gen Vipers. Whichever vehicle I purchase I would be using it as my daily driver...

I like both of these cars alot, but need to make a decision, they are both reliable exotics and would be perfect for daily driving, both are capable of ALOT of miles being put on them and run strong.

Does anyone here own both, or drove both and if you were using it as a daily driver, which would you pick and why?

I've owned both (03 and 00 NSX, 98 Viper RT/10) and this will be an easy choice for you. the NSX is much nicer for a daily driver. More comfortable, nicer interior, much more reliable, less depreciation...I could go on and on.

I have a '97 GTS. The NSX is much better suited for a daily driver. The Viper is a beast...rude/crude. In comparison, the NSX is like riding a well-bred race horse.

I'd say get the viper and give us feedback on owning it after a few years.

I was faced with the same decision. I inquired about a Viper GTS for sale and told the owner I was looking to do roadtrips and such but I was also looking at nsx also. By some stroke of luck, the owner also had a nsx he wanted to sell too. He told me that for what I was looking at doing, the nsx would be a much better driver for road trips. The Viper follows the grooves in the road badly, and just wasn't a good long distance driver vehicle. Also, I worked with some SERIOUS mopar heads at work at the time. They knew every damn mopar fact in the world pretty much. From what they say, reliability is potentially going to be an issue with the V10 past 80k miles.

Pretty much, it came down to the Viper being a BEAST of a car to drive, but best left for short jaunts.

I thought about a Viper GTS when I was shopping. I figured up the total cost of ownership including potential clutch issues some vipers have, increased tire cost, and higher depreciation. What I found was that even though the Viper is a little cheaper to buy, it will cost more over its lifetime to own.

Either way you go will be a good choice I think. They're both great cars.

right no im looking for a 91-93 nsx but have a 99 viper gts acr black with silver stirpes. let me say this it is a beautiful car but to daily drive it nooooooooooooo way. my car doesnt have abs they didnt start putting them in till 2001. let me put it this way im 24 years old and i drove it around for 1 week when i was in the shop and my back was completly messed up. its comfortable but its not comfortable getting in and out. i had to go get a cordisone shot, i have a bad back but not ever had a problem till i drove that car for a week straight. LOL theres no doubt its fast but its to small inside to anything. test drive one for a few days. i couldn't daily drive mine

by the way my father is selling his 2001 viper rt10, yellow black soft top 1,600 miles mint. $53,000 if interested ill post number
sean

Is that you in the avatar picture? If so, I would recommend Viper. Posing like that in front of an NSX just doesn't look right.

Damn bro who died and made you the judge?
People who make comments like yours above shouldn't be driving nsx,
it doesn't look right.
judging he should drive a viper from his pose:confused:

Is that you in the avatar picture? If so, I would recommend Viper. Posing like that in front of an NSX just doesn't look right.

I didn't realize that standing in front of a car with hands in the pockets was the "wrong way." I'm not going to get into a pissing match online. I think I speak on behalf of everyone that if you don't have anything constructive to post, please go to another forum....

Everyone else, I appreciate the comments if you have any other reasons or suggestions one way or the other let me know, of course I posted a similar post on a viper forum and got the opposite answers...i I guess it just depends on who you talk to...I have seen plenty of vipers with 150k plus on miles so I'm not really worried about reliability and cost of ownership isn't on my mind I think I would find the nsx more practical but I know I would want a ctsc or a turbo setup down the road...

Last edited:
If you're looking for a daily driver, then the NSX is way easier to live with by far. If you're looking for raw HP and plan on driving something else most of the time, get the Viper.

Either way, you really can't go wrong...but I can't imagine driving a Viper everyday to work, etc etc.

I've always been curious about the Viper and wondered if it really can be that uncomfortable to drive. The local Jaguar dealer always has a half dozen used Vipers on their lot. I guess I should stop some Saturday and drive a couple of them.

My NSX wouldn't be too jealous, would it? :)

I don't own a Viper, but one of my neighbor has one. I had 1 opportunity to test drive his Viper, and the raw power of his Viper scared the sh** out of me. I know my limits, and what I am comfortable with. Let say I was cautious at every turn. His Viper is not a daily driver, but neither is my NSX. I do feel much more in control in my NSX. I test drove the Viper before buying my NSX, and my accessment of the Viper was unbias at the time of the test drive. Both are good exotic sportscar, it just a matter of your personal preference for in your face power or in your face sophistication. Good luck on your decision.:smile:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ySLvePpB1vw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ySLvePpB1vw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

...I have seen plenty of vipers with 150k plus on miles so I'm not really worried about reliability and cost of ownership isn't on my mind I think I would find the nsx more practical but I know I would want a ctsc or a turbo setup down the road...

Based on your comments, I think the Viper would be better for you.

I hope to have a Viper in my driveway one day(next to my NSX). :smile:

ROFL. someone hates 02 style nsx. LOL<i am a fan of it.
viper . u probably like drag race. nsx is built for cornering.
also, american cars choke in corner. only for drag. :biggrin:

ROFL. someone hates 02 style nsx. LOL<i am a fan of it.
viper . u probably like drag race. nsx is built for cornering.
also, american cars choke in corner. only for drag. :biggrin:

I have a 91 nsx and will be picking up a 04 srt-10. I agree the nsx does give good cornering. Although, doesn't the viper have a 50/50 weight distribution and sit with much wider of a stance? I haven't taken a viper to it's limit, but i assume with coilovers the car would handle like a dream!?

Get both of them. I think I will pick one up right after I by a house within the next year. It will be earlier years viper or the 2006-2007 Z06 and still keep the nsx as my daily driver. Its makes a perfect daily driver for me, sometimes you could use more room but thats the same with the viper too. Eitherway can't go wrong its for you so you know best....have fun with it bro

First gen Viper is not a good daily driver. In fact, if I remember correctly, it had Velcro windows. My old class mate had one.

NSX will be easier to own as a daily driver, perhaps cheaper.

Damn bro who died and made you the judge?
People who make comments like yours above shouldn't be driving nsx,
it doesn't look right.
judging he should drive a viper from his pose:confused:

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Sorry.

jp2005 said:
I didn't realize that standing in front of a car with hands in the pockets was the "wrong way." I'm not going to get into a pissing match online. I think I speak on behalf of everyone that if you don't have anything constructive to post, please go to another forum....

For some reason, I thought it was a Icy Hot Stunnaz pose. My eyes must have been tired. Or I must have been drunk.

The Viper and the NSX are two different beasts. Just five minutes of seat time in each car will make the point obvious. While Vipers are certainly track-capable, their brute strength and lack of refinement distinguish them from the NSX. Not to say that those characteristics are undesirable - many people seek out those qualities for the "pure" sports car experience.

You may want to read further at ViperAlley for some opinions from Viper owners.

not familar with any type of icy anything pose. anyhow, i've read plenty at the alley, and the gen 1 vipers do either have velcro or pastic windows and the gen 2's have power windows, i used to use a 93 trans am with 436hp as my dd, and didnt really have any problems...to be honest it looks like i will be going with the nsx unless a viper jumps out and bites me:redface:

Back