• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (Backyard GT style)

First off I want to say thanks to Brent & James at WholesaleHyperformance for going above and beyond the call of duty to make sure I was happy with my purchase. They offered to help me install the hood, and after reading Arts letter (post #20) I decided to ask for the help, just in case I ran into problems.

I promised I would give an honest assessment of the VIS hood after the installment process and here it is.

I agree that the Exterior finish and workmanship exceeded my expectations. Very Good.
I agree that the hood is slightly narrower and will probably cause some gaps to be slightly larger.
The question is, what is an acceptable gap? Of course we would all like 2mm tolerances, but that isn't going to be realistic. After measuring the other gaps on my NSX, I found it to be fairly consistent at 5mm (Trunk, Doors).

We didn't have any problems on the installation process.
The ONLY modification we did was to widen the spray nozzle holes.
They were too narrow.
No need to lower fuse box, or remove spare tire.
Screen didn't seem to interfere with anything. However, one of the aluminum tabs which holds the screen in place will touch the fuse box - easily fixable problem.
We needed to lower the latch slightly for a flush fit in front.
Removed the rubber stops located by the fenders, and lowered the rubber screw stops to the lowest setting.

I did weight the hoods. OEM = 16 lbs.
VIS = 17.5 lbs.
Which means this hood is more about the show than the go.
Guess I'll eliminate desert after dinner to make up the weight difference.

End result.
1. I found that any gap larger than 7mm was too big. (gap above the headlights maxed out at 10mm)
2. Large gaps may appear more noticeable on lighter colored cars.
3. There may be some wiggle room to the headlight covers to compensate - but I'll have to see.
4. Hood quality is Great.
5. WholesaleHyperformance is a reputable company, who will offer great deals and stand behind their product. They do want to make sure you are satisfied. I would buy from them again.
6. If I had paid $1000.00+ I would be disappointed in the fitment. But this hood for me, was a good deal. I plan on doing some fine tuning on fitment, and feel the looks and price far outweigh any other issues.

Hopefully this gives some helpful information for those who are still undecided.

I have some photos but for some reason, am too lame to get them to upload.
Went thru "Manage Attachments", "Upload" etc.
--------------------
Actual Gap info: 5mm is factory gap on my car
Anything greater than 7mm may be too much IMO.
Drivers side - 6mm
Passenger side - 7mm
Front bumper 5mm
Top of both headlights - 10mm
Inside of drivers headlight - 5mm by bumper, 9mm at top
Inside of passenger headlight - 5mm by bumper, 6mm at top

Last edited:
Sounds like that first hood may've been a bad unit then.
Glad to hear the others have turned out well.
Thanks for the honesty in reporting the good and the bad aspects of it.
The weight this really shocks me.
That helps me greatly in my buying decision though.

future plans?

James,
I would like to know are there any future plans of this hood being "re-prototyped"(is that a word?)...to be an EXACT oem fit? Or are future hoods going to be built off the same prototype mold? It sounds like great quality and finish, but fitment wasn't so hot. I'm STILL VERY INTERESTED in purchasing one if the fitment problem is fixed.

Hows the trunk fitment?

Also anyone gonna load pics of the hood installed?

Curious to see pics of the fish gilled CF trunk on some1's NSX...any1 buy it?

Thanks to Brad, we now have some installed pictures!
hoodandlights3.jpg
hoodandlights2.jpg
hoodandlights1.JPG
hoodandlights4.JPG
hoodandlights5.JPG
hoodandlights6.JPG
hoodandlights7.JPG

These pictures give a clear indication of how the pieces fit. As you can see, there is a slightly greater gap between the hood and the headlights, but it is still negligible at best! Also, please note our new CARBON FIBER HEADLIGHT COVERS. These pieces replace the stock pieces and give cars with the carbon fiber hood a more uniform "carboning" up front! These came out perfect, and are a must for carbon fetishists! I'll start a new thread with information on these.
James

One thing about the CF headlights.....Do you plan on matching the weave/pattern of the CF layup? It looks like the direction on the hood doesn't match the lights. (Or maybe it's just an optical illusion.)

How about a carbon fiber wing west lip? that would be sweet.. Hell how about a entire front nose piece.....paint will be obsolete... :biggrin:

FuryNSX said:
One thing about the CF headlights.....Do you plan on matching the weave/pattern of the CF layup? It looks like the direction on the hood doesn't match the lights. (Or maybe it's just an optical illusion.)

They are indeed inverted, but this should be an easy fix. The patter seems to match.

MachSpeed said:
is this just a carbon fiber overlay or is the hood down to the support cf what is the % of fiberglass of this hood.....

This is the entire hood - replaces the stock hood. Entire visible portion is carbon fiber, structural reinforcements/hood latch are fiberglass/steel respectively.
We will have more this week.

Back