• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Volk TE37 size and offset help please

I am buying the Volk TE37 wheels in the OEM size for my 94 NSX
(16x7 front and 17x8.5 rear).

I would like to keep the handling characteristics as close to the original as possible. What offset should I get?
The OEM offset for the front and rear are 55 and 60mm respectively but the Volk site suggests that I use 42 front and 40mm rear. Should I not go with the closest to the original which would be 42mm front and 50mm rear or would that make the difference between the front and back too much and hence the 42 and 40 recommendation by Volk.

Please help. I have done the search in this regard and would nevertheless appreciate any help. Thanks

remember most after market wheels will never have the same offset as factory wheels ..but you can get close ..and offset is also affected by width of the wheels .but the offsets you mentioned are good..42 and 40 will be perfect..especially if your going 7 & 8.5 widths..

Thanks WB, and could you or someone please explain why

42/40 offset would be preferable to 42/50 even though the 42/50 is closer to the oem of 55/60? Is it because the 42/50 offset front to rear has a greater difference than 42/40.
Also, with these non-oem offsets the wheels are more 'out' and does that not cause undue strain at the bolts/axles?

I appreciate your kind input:)

.....and offset is also affected by width of the wheels...
In fact, offset has nothing to do with the width of the wheels. I think you are confusing offset with backspace.

If you were to slice a wheel in half so there were two half circle pieces and look at the wheel wiht the cut surface facing you, the offset is the distance between the mounting plane (mounting surface) of the wheel and the centerline of the wheel. So an 8" wide rim can have the same offset as a 6" or 13"rim.

Backspace is the distance the wheel projects behind the centerline. With the same offset, an 8" wheel will have a larger backspace than a 6" wheel.

So as one increases the wheel width the backspace must remain constant so that the tire does not rub on the suspension. And the only way to keep the backspace constant as the width increases is to decrease the offset (assuming the wheel has positive offset, which the NSX does have).

It is all expained here at The Tire Rack.

Last edited:
okay ...yes width has everything to do with offset..and backspacing..if you have a wheels thats 7" wide and a wheel thats 8 wide with the same offset where does the rest go? ..it a math formula to decrease the back pad to creat the same offset for you ..try your thoery see how far the wheel will stick out of your car..8 and 7 with a 40et is not the same wheel..backspacing is where you measure the back part of the wheel from the hub on and offset is the same sort of callculations in sence of measure in the "pad" of the wheels to determie its offset ..and it could also be low,mid ,high pad to determine caliper clearance..dont belivev everything you read ..try it for your self..so the question he asked is can he run the same factory offsets ? so your saying that a 16x6 and a 16x8 with a 60et will be the same i would love to see you put that on an nsx ..:D :D .and yes a 6"and 13" wide wheel can have the same offsets ..but doesnt sit the same etof 40 on 13" wheel formula comes out to 10.5 rear backspacing with and front lip of about 2.5inchs with a low pad ..:eek:

Last edited:
NSX Maven said:
... the offset (assuming the wheel has negative offset, which the NSX does have).
I think you are confused. The NSX has positive offset for OEM and most aftermarket wheels (widebody excluded).

Additionally, offset and wheel width is one thing, but tire dimensions are another factor that must be considered, depending of course on what the question(s) might be.

...yes width has everything to do with offset
No, it doesn't.

..[width has everything to do with] backspacing..
You got that right.

if you have a wheels thats 7" wide and a wheel thats 8 wide with the same offset where does the rest go? .
The backspace of the wider wheel is 1/2" greater, which is the point I am making. Width has nothing to do with offset since width is measured from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting face. The wheel can be 25" wide and the offset can be the same as a 6" wheel. But the backspace? The wider wheel will have 12.5" - 3" = 9.5" greater backspace.

I know this is hard to put into words and hard to visualize. That is why it is all explained here at the Tire Rack's Tech Section with a helpful diagram.

the question he asked is can he run the same factory offsets
Actually, the question he asked was that he was buying OEM sizes - width and diameter and should he stick with OEM offsets. The answer to that is he should, if he wants to keep the fine OEM handling.

..dont belivev everything you read
Trust me on this, I don't. ;)

Last edited:
I am buying the Volk TE37 wheels in the OEM size for my 94 NSX (16x7 front and 17x8.5 rear).

I would like to keep the handling characteristics as close to the original as possible. What offset should I get? Should I not go with the closest to the original....

Yes, you should. The closer you can get to the OEM offsets on an OEM width wheel the closer to that fine OEM handling you will get. Interestingly, Honda kept the same offsets for all three of its wheel combinations - 15/16, 16/17 and 17/17 - despite an increase in width when the wheels went from 15/16 to 16/17.

i understand your reading and repeating but no your wrong ..there is no way ..that you can do what your saying please try it ......do you have wheels on your car! or even delt with wheels ..if you have a 17x7 and a 17x8 with a 40et ...they will not sit the same on your car it will stick 1/4 inch out further than the 17x7...where will you put the rest ..i understand what your saying ..but width and offset go hand in hand..and factory width for better handling?....you want wider stands thats why some people even buy track spacers for better handeling..thats what made H&R suspension the power they are now!!...

Back