• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Vote to keep or lose the User Reputation system

Should we continue using the User Reputation system?

• I like it - keep it running

Votes: 73 47.7%
  • I do not like it - turn it off

Votes: 80 52.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sandy said:
If this proves to be a fraud then what tools do I have to protect myself and other members?

I think the Trader Rating system is far more valuable in this arena, as it will let you sign your name and provide expansive comments and a link to the marketplace thread if applicable.

I don't think reputation is really designed to address these kinds of disputes, as it is anonymous.

I have a good reputation on every forum I am a member of, but I still believe reputation does more harm than good.

brahtw8 said:
I think the Trader Rating system is far more valuable in this arena, as it will let you sign your name and provide expansive comments and a link to the marketplace thread if applicable.

Precisely. This is exactly what the 'trader rating' is meant to address.

brahtw8 said:

I don't think reputation is really designed to address these kinds of disputes, as it is anonymous.

I have a good reputation on every forum I am a member of, but I still believe reputation does more harm than good.

I agree and fully support the trader reputation system. I think it is valueable to users both new and old.

I think the user reputation system is pretty much worthless. The anonimity makes it even worse, however, if it did leave the user name of who trashed you, it will just make a lot of enemies. I don't think anyone wants that.

Frankly, gentlemen, I am at a loss in the understanding as to how a stiffed trade transaction doesn't affect one's "user reputation"? The two are seemingly inseparable...
So, personally, I'd value these two supposedly different "reputations" being coupled. I, for one, would then be able to value one's 'word' and also one's 'WORD'....

Sandy said:
Frankly, gentlemen, I am at a loss in the understanding as to how a stiffed trade transaction doesn't affect one's "user reputation"? The two are seemingly inseparable...
So, personally, I'd value these two supposedly different "reputations" being coupled. I, for one, would then be able to value one's 'word' and also one's 'WORD'....

I think you have misunderstood.

Someone who has experienced a bad transaction in the marketplace can certainly choose to give negative reputation points to the person who has wronged them.

The point I and some others have made is that it is far more helpful to use the trader rating to detail a bad marketplace transaction, as the sole purpose of the trader rating is to deal with transactions. It allows you to detail the problem with the transaction and I believe it has a much greater impact on whether others may learn of your experience when evaluating whether to do business with someone in the marketplace.

Reputation, on the other hand, is often won and lost based on tact and courtesy and the ability to resist the forum dynamics that create all of the little flame wars. It is about whether you have offended others in the forum, or whether others think you make a positive contribution. In my experience, it doesn't foster goodwill, particularly when it is anonymous. It just irritates the person who gets negative reputation from someone whose identity has not been revealed.

I spoke out against it when it was brought to the site. I don't mean to be overdramatic; this is a fine forum with or without reputation.

Last edited:
Sandy said:

Sandy-

A negative 'trader rating' will have a more significant impact on one's perceived reputation than the 'user reputation' rating. As you may have already seen, users do not have access to read the 'reputation rating' comments for other users. So in the end, the user who snaked you could still have a positive reputation rating and nobody else would be able to hear about what happened.

However, the 'trader rating' is visible and the comments left are able to be read by the whole community. This allows for adequate warnings to be documented about the ethics of certain individuals.

I always check people's trader rating before buying from them, whereas the 'user reputation' doesn't provide any valuable info when it comes to trusting my money to someone.

So, the clever shyster may forever engage in tactful and courteous non-flamed exchanges while engaging in fraudulence on the other side of the divide?

Smoke them out, the not- "nice players". Hold them responsible for both their word, and their WORD.

Your thought was deep, but look again. Is there not a deeper implication in the concept of 'reputation'? Isn't it all-emcompassing? Are we jaded to the point of seeing gain in conversation with our home's burglar?

brahtw8 said:
Reputation, on the other hand, is often won and lost based on tact and courtesy and the ability to resist the forum dynamics that create all of the little flame wars. It is about whether you have offended others in the forum, or whether others think you make a positive contribution.

Interesting observation. Your insight on "reputation" would not only apply here but in life in general.
Allow me to paraphrase: Reputation is often won and lost based on tact and the ability to resist the dynamics that create conflict.It is about whether you have offended people who you come in contact with and whether others think you make a positive contribution.

See what I mean? You put it very well, brahtw8. Kudos.

Sandy said:
So
Are we jaded to the point of seeing gain in conversation with our home's burglar?

Not at all. The problem is that the crook's user reputation will not be able to be affected enough by one negative comment to accurately reflect his/her character. In addition, if I was interested in purchasing an item for sale by the crook..... if the negative mark was documented in the 'user reputation', it would not be evident to me. The only thing visible is the aggregate of positives and negatives, which will not show the true color of one's character. For example, this crook could have 9 positive reputation points that all said: "Nice post" or "funny joke". Then only 1 negative point from robbing someone blind. In the end, the community would only see that the crook has a 'Positive or Good' reputation. All the comments that give context are invisible to other users and thus no context can be ascertained.

What we are talking about here is trying to figure out how to maximize the impact of documenting unethical/criminal behavior when it comes to buying/selling on NSXPrime. In keeping with that idea, the 'trader rating' system is the best route to do so. As a long time patron of NSXprime, I would greatly appreciate that you documented any criminal or unethical activities in the 'trader rating'.

Sig said:
As a long time patron of NSXprime...

Wanna be known as a patron? Just click above :wink:
$100 - NSXPrime.com Patron

Last edited:
pbassjo said:
Wanna be known as a patron? Just click above :wink:
$100 - NSXPrime.com Patron

That's it, negative reputation point for you for taking a word out of context! :biggrin: And I'll even leave my name, so it won't be anonymous.

Pbassjo- Btw, I am still enjoying my very unique NSXPO foam paperweight courtesy of you.

My guess is a lot of people voting for the system are those that have never recieved any red marks or maybe one green mark.

24 more days, and so far we are neck and neck.... :D

nsxtasy said:
Not true for me...

Me either. No red marks and I still think the system stinks.

I guess we have to start campaining.

No More Years! No More Years! :biggrin:

NetViper said:
I guess we have to start campaining.

No More Years! No More Years! :biggrin:

The reputation system is so offensive and so iniquitous that I am at a complete loss to understand anyone wanting to keep it let alone actually defending it. As others have said - it is, at best, a solution to a problem that didn't exist to begin with. At worst it is a whole lot more. :mad: :frown: :mad:

Can some of you who are against the system please elaborate on why you are so dead-set on getting rid of it, as opposed to just ignoring it?

Based on reading people's comments, none of the opponents of the reputation system put any importance on it, so why do they care whether it is there or not? If you don't like it, don't use it and pay no attention to people's (or your own) ratings.

nkb said:
Can some of you who are against the system please elaborate on why you are so dead-set on getting rid of it, as opposed to just ignoring it?

Based on reading people's comments, none of the opponents of the reputation system put any importance on it, so why do they care whether it is there or not? If you don't like it, don't use it and pay no attention to people's (or your own) ratings.

Refer to post #4 and several others. I've refrained from posting in this thread since then (until today) since Lud said he was not looking for a debate,

1. No campaigning for either side (PMs, signatures, flooding a thread, etc.). This isn't a vote for homecoming king and queen. Let people make up their own minds. If you want to state your opinion and the reasoning behind it here that is fine. That's it.

2. The anonymous vs. non-anonymous debate is moot. The reputation system is anonymous by design of the software. The poll is about whether to leave it enabled or disable it.

Thank you.

I thought I gave an explanation for why I am against reputation:

brahtw8 said:
Reputation, on the other hand, is often won and lost based on tact and courtesy and the ability to resist the forum dynamics that create all of the little flame wars. It is about whether you have offended others in the forum, or whether others think you make a positive contribution. In my experience, it doesn't foster goodwill, particularly when it is anonymous. It just irritates the person who gets negative reputation from someone whose identity has not been revealed.

I spoke out against it when it was brought to the site. I don't mean to be overdramatic; this is a fine forum with or without reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back