• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wanting to know why a flamed post was deleted

I have seen several threads get deleted due to reasons of "flame". I can understand that some flames do need to be deleted but I feel the need to know why.

I feel that we all contribute to an excellent forum. I just dont like the idea of never knowing why a thread just disappears. If someone violated something, I as a member would like to know why. We all interact with each other on a daily basis and if the integrity of a member is in question, I think its only correct that a post for the reason of deletion be posted rather than just sweeping it under the table leaving all to wonder what happened.

The latest would be the "God Bless America" post that disappeared today. If a member is thoughtless enough to badmouth the USA on Sept. 11 regarding how the US deserved to get what it got... do you not feel that the rest of the forum members would like to see this... it might be useful to know what kind of people we are sharing our thoughts and time with?

I know it would be a factor for me.

-Best Regards

The answer to your question of why things are deleted is simple, and is the same for all cases. Every thread or message deleted is IN MY OPINION one that is not in line with the letter or spirit of the terms of use of this service as defined on the registration screen http://www.nsxprime.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi?action=agree

Additionally, many items which are not NSX-specific are moved to the appropriate forum, such as Off topic or your message here originally posted in the General NSX Discussion forum and subsequently moved to NSX Prime Discussion where it more correctly belongs.

Lud,

I understand your position and do appreciate the high quality of NSX information and service that is provided here. I thank you for your hard work in keeping it so.

I am just curious why a thread gets deleted and you keep it so private. Do you not feel the community should know?

If admins had to explain - in public or in private - their every action and justify it, they'd never get anything done.

Bottom line - (a) house rules rule (b) can't please everyone everytime (c) there are multiple shades of gray / grey.

I am not keeping anything "private" - if someone asks, I answer right here. If you go back a few months you can find some other similar inquiries.

What do you want? I am not going to post a big message explaining in detail why I decided to delete a particular message or thread.

First, it would be a waste of my time.

Second, it defeats the purpose of deleting it and moving forward.

Third, it would just start more arguments and/or cause hard feelings.

Originally posted by Lud:
What do you want?

Like I said... Just curious.

As you know I am rather new to posting on this forum. I simply wondered what happens to a thread when it gets deleted... thats all.

I simply wondered what happens to a thread when it gets deleted.

Do you want Webster's definition of "deleted"?
tongue.gif

Ok, I'll quit messin' around.
smile.gif
Deleted means forever gone, never to be seen again. On the other hand, closing a thread means that the posts are still there for reading, but no additional posts are accepted.

Got ya...understood.

So what happens if 2 or more people get too negative on a good thread that is informative for many others?

Can those posts be deleted so the thread can move on or does it just get closed?

Thanks,

Swishh

The admin can delete / edit individual posts.

Back