• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

washer/dryer recommendations opinions?

I'm looking to get a front loading HE washer and matching dryer. I have my eye on two of them:

1. Whirlpool Duet Sport (WFW8300SW)
2. LG 3.5 cu ft 5-cycle (WM2016CW)

The LG is about $350 more than the Whirlpool. On various store websites, the reviews rave about the LG whereas the Whirlpool has generally mixed reviews (more positive than negative though). On Epinions.com, there are only two reviews for the LG which are both negative. The reviews for the Whirlpool reflect the reviews on the store websites.

Any ideas on which would be a better pick? Durability/reliability is the most important factor for me. Anyone have experience with either of these units or either of these brands?

Thanks,
-Brian.

I'm looking to get a front loading HE washer and matching dryer. I have my eye on two of them:

1. Whirlpool Duet Sport (WFW8300SW)
2. LG 3.5 cu ft 5-cycle (WM2016CW)

The LG is about $350 more than the Whirlpool. On various store websites, the reviews rave about the LG whereas the Whirlpool has generally mixed reviews (more positive than negative though). On Epinions.com, there are only two reviews for the LG which are both negative. The reviews for the Whirlpool reflect the reviews on the store websites.

Any ideas on which would be a better pick? Durability/reliability is the most important factor for me. Anyone have experience with either of these units or either of these brands?

Thanks,
-Brian.

On washers and dryers I always try to use Kenmore from Sears, great factory support IMO.

I have an LG FL washer/drier (does both in one cycle) and it has been great. Load it up before I go to bed, and everything is washed and dried in the morn. I paid around $1200 aussie for it with extended warranty (5 years) and reckon it's great value to know that my clothes will be washed and dried for the next 5 years with minimal effort. Does everything it is supposed to, and has been 100% reliable since i've had it (about 1 year)

We have duets, so far no problems in 8 months.We have em side by side and stacked.If you want them stacked you need to order the kit.

I can tell you what NOT to purchase:

Frigidaire Gallery Series (HD) Side by side or stackable.

Washer# GLTF1040AS0 Front Load
Dryer #GLEQ332AS2 Front Load

Washer 3 yrs old been Repaired 3 times (Circuit Boards)
Dryer.....one time.....Rear bearing for drum

These are junk!

Next time either Bosch or Asko.

I think my Sears Kenmore front loader is the same as your Frigidaire Gallery Series and I have had nothing but problems with it, I think the newer Kenmore front loaders are better, and I would check out Consumer Reports for reliability for all models before I bought another appliance...

Client of mine is one of the largest appliance dealers in this area, I asked him what I should replace my 6 year old Maytag with (the repairman was definitely not lonely), and he said the Whirlpool front loader. I've had it for 18 months, and it's been trouble free and much better than the Maytag. LG has the "cool factor", don't know if it's any better at what it does.

My wife has a Duet in her office. It runs all day( 7am til 7 pm), five days a week. Large heavy loads, more laundry than you would do in a lifetime. Had it just over 3 years.
I had to replace the large front gasket(bellows) last month. It developed a small tear on one of the folds. Pretty easy job, ordered parts from online parts supplier.
Pretty satisfied with it. YMMV.
Sulley

I have an LG FL washer/drier (does both in one cycle) and it has been great. Load it up before I go to bed, and everything is washed and dried in the morn. I paid around $1200 aussie for it with extended warranty (5 years) and reckon it's great value to know that my clothes will be washed and dried for the next 5 years with minimal effort. Does everything it is supposed to, and has been 100% reliable since i've had it (about 1 year)

What model number is that?

Thank you for the responses.

I was hoping to hear that the Duet Sports would be ok. As much I despise extended warranties, I will likely purchase the 4 year agreement for ~ $130-$140 for the pair just for the peace of mind. Most of the complaints appear to be from 2006/early 2007. The issues were durability and vibration/noise. It appears that the newer ones have 4 shock absorbers now as opposed to 3 in the previous iterations.

For those in the market, there's a pretty good deal right now for them. The normal price is $664.99 each for both the washer and the electric dryer (gas model is $50 more). Best Buy has a sale where you save $400 if you purchase both. Their ad circular lists the price at $999.99 for both (online, it comes up as $929.99 - weird). Price match at Lowes for the difference and you're at about $950.00 for both, plus you get free delivery and the $100.00 mail in rebate offer. So your total is about $850.00 before taxes. If you're in NJ, you get a $50 high efficiency rebate, so the total comes out to about $800.00 (although you will pay taxes on $950 + delivery fee).

Not a bad deal - you're under $1000 for everything including a 4 year extended warranty. Plus since Best Buy is having 18 months interest-free financing, I'm sure you get the 12 months interest free at Lowes. I'm heading over to Sears to see if I can get a better deal since I need a Bosch dishwasher as well.

Thanks guys!
-Brian.

I got the Candy Burgandy(you know what I mean) LG HE/steamwasher and dryer combo with pedistals. Love them! Plus they look great! They have a nice chrome door trim and they make this nice beep sound when you turn them on. Also, the washer has cool LED lights! I always get compliments.

But not only that, all my clothes come out much nicer! With the steam feature, you can wash comforters, pillows, and other things that normally you would have to take to the dry cleaners!

I hate Sears in some respects.. however, the set of Kenmore (old dryers) I have are rock solid. It has survied rentals with 6+ people in the home for years....

I got the Candy Burgandy(you know what I mean) LG HE/steamwasher and dryer combo with pedistals. Love them! Plus they look great! They have a nice chrome door trim and they make this nice beep sound when you turn them on. Also, the washer has cool LED lights! I always get compliments.
LOL

I bought a LG front load washer and had vibration issues, called 5 service company that LG provides and no one is willing to come out to fix it, called another 15 local repair shops and none of them service LG. :mad:

I later fixed the problem myself.

The Korean made are pretty good quality but you need to make sure that there are repair shops in your area that can fix it.

DO NOT get the Maytag Neptune Washer or Dryer. Nothing but problems from the start with both. Maytag was sued over the washer would mold between washes. They are right!

Back