• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

water/air intercooler????

I wish they would show a cutaway view of the the actual heat exchanger element. Much of the cost is in the tube and fin design, which they make no reference to, nor show any pictures of. If it is just a series of tubes with a couple of bends, which air directed around it, then it would explain the relatively low cost and will probably reflect very poor cooling performance. Another odd aspect is having it ducted on both sides. :confused: How would they expect good airflow across the heat exchanger and what are they using to blow that air across?

From my preliminary review, it does not seem to be a very effective design.

I wish they would show a cutaway view of the the actual heat exchanger element. Much of the cost is in the tube and fin design, which they make no reference to, nor show any pictures of. If it is just a series of tubes with a couple of bends, which air directed around it, then it would explain the relatively low cost and will probably reflect very poor cooling performance. Another odd aspect is having it ducted on both sides. :confused: How wold they expect good airflow across the heat exchanger and what are they using to blow that air across?

From my preliminary review, it does not seem to be a very effective design.
It looks to me to be a standard air to water intercooler design with both sides of the exchanger being on the same side and water run to the core. Doesn't seem like anything is wrong with that. However for the price I would question the quality and effiency of the core itself. The likelyhood of it cracking or n ot efficiently cooling the intake charge would be high. There are good cores for $400, just go with one of those...

Billy

ducted on both sides?? im confused

WI-5045.jpg

If you look at the picture you can see the large ports is for the air to flow in a U-shaped pattern, while the water flows through the small threaded port in the middle. It appears that they expect the air connections to be ducted.

It looks to me to be a standard air to water intercooler design with both sides of the exchanger being on the same side and water run to the core. Doesn't seem like anything is wrong with that. However for the price I would question the quality and effiency of the core itself. The likelyhood of it cracking or n ot efficiently cooling the intake charge would be high. There are good cores for $400, just go with one of those...

Billy

Hey Billy! I don't think it is. Traditional air to water intercooler should have a finned tubular heat exchange area, which you really can't tell this has. And the lack of any ratings (fins per inch for example) would lead met to believe that there isn't any. Not to mention that the air connections appear to require ducting, which is not really an ideal design. This backed up by their claims as a intercooler that fits in tight non-traditional locations in their eBay ad. We can discuss this along with wind tunnels the next time you are up here! Lol!

Last edited:
This looks like a knock off of a popular Spearco design. I can't speak to the quality, but the price is unusually low. The quality of an air-water cooler is critical. If there is any leak from cracking, water injected into the engine could be catastrophic.

We have a NSX specific install kit for air-water intercooler systems using all premium components now available:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...peed/liquid-air_intercooler_installation_kit/

regards,
-- Chris

If you look at the picture you can see the large ports is for the air to flow in a U-shaped pattern, while the water flows through the small threaded port in the middle. It appears that they expect the air connections to be ducted.

Not sure what you mean by ducted. This is an aftercooler, it's placed between the charge side of the compressor and the intake of the engine.

-- Chris

Not sure what you mean by ducted. This is an aftercooler, it's placed between the charge side of the compressor and the intake of the engine.

-- Chris

D'oh, of course! :redface: Yeah, of course it is supposed to ducted (sorry bad terminology from my industry). Haha major brain fart. Did have a couple of beers before I wrote that (yeah I know it was the middle of the day, office pot luck). :redface:

But I guess my inital question still stands regarding the core of the heat exchanger. I would assume it is a finned and tube design, but I don't feel comfortable assuming that unless they can show a cross section or core details.

I'm still not quite sure either about the 'ducting'. The charge pipes (from the turbo) connect to one end of the A2W heat exchanger, then comes out the other end to the throttle body. This A2W appears to be a simple/traditional design with fins on the inside in which water flows through and heats up while the air passing through the exchanger cools down (like a radiator) and exits the other end.

While we use a straight-through design for our heat exchangers (which the core does the same thing as this one looks to), there are other people who do use the U-shape design to mount the exchanger in other areas of the car. I dont see any issue with the U-shape although less bends are better.

Billy

Last edited:
I was unaware that hose clamps and rubber tube with a plastic overflow tank was considered "premium components"

Wouldnt an fittings and braided line be considered premium?

Regards

Considering it is a low pressure system, that is just moving water back and forth....hose clamps and rubber are more than ok. They are also lighter and offer easier installation. This is KEY when sold over the counter, AS A COMPLETE KIT, to possibly a DIY’er. It obviously helps keep the costs down also. And it’s a reservoir, not overflow tank. I would think that ANYONE who has as much EXPERIENCE as they claim would know the difference, or how a simple a2w system works….
It’s good to see that your favorite form of advertizing your company is still trying to bash on others systems and products….while you continue to make cheap copies of products, turn out unfinished projects and single handedly bring down the gene pool of people modding their NSX.

and whats with the "regards" sign off....

you even stole that from chris @ SoS!.....lol you are amazing

Last edited:
I have a similar setup, but from Vortech Eng. The price from Speed Daddy is extremely low and with that in mind, you're up against quality. I paid an arm and a leg for my setup several years ago and yet no leak.

Just that air to water intercooler alone is no help, you must get the entire or assemble the entire kit for the air to water intercooler such as a water reservoir, electric water pump, heat exchanger, etc. Water needs to flow somehow into the cooler and to the heat exchanger then back to the reservoir.

Check my pics out...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sorry no pictures on reservoir or electric water pump. But you get the idea.

I don't know about the effectiveness of that eBay unit, but here's a picture of the water / air intercooler setup Cody fabricated for the original LoveFab turbo NSX.
There is a pump up front that runs the water through 3 radiators across the lower airdam.

Brian

Attachments

• GT45R turbo, water intercooler and Accusump in the trunk.jpg
    GT45R turbo, water intercooler and Accusump in the trunk.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Temporary tire setup 1.jpg
    Temporary tire setup 1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 127
I don't think that SOS has the rights to the "regards" sign off, but if you would call that stealing in your book, then that is fine. I think the majority of us out here would laugh at it.

What is premium? Is what Ross saying is wrong? A small joke with some truth is what I took that statement to be.

Lets keep things objective. There are competing vendors on here so we choose who we want to make our purchase with.

Regards,

Oops,

:smile:

Considering it is a low pressure system, that is just moving water back and forth....hose clamps and rubber are more than ok. They are also lighter and offer easier installation. This is KEY when sold over the counter, AS A COMPLETE KIT, to possibly a DIY’er. It obviously helps keep the costs down also. And it’s a reservoir, not overflow tank. I would think that ANYONE who has as much EXPERIENCE as they claim would know the difference, or how a simple a2w system works….
It’s good to see that your favorite form of advertizing your company is still trying to bash on others systems and products….while you continue to make cheap copies of products, turn out unfinished projects and single handedly bring down the gene pool of people modding their NSX.

and whats with the "regards" sign off....

you even stole that from chris @ SoS!.....lol you are amazing

Last edited:
Back