• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Water Pump schedule

My car has 90K and the water pump and timing belt were replace at 60k serivce at 66K and the timing belt and water them selves at 75K,

looking at the wiki schduel the water pump only needs replaced at 90K?

I'm going to get the timing belt repalced since it had been 7-8 years even though its only been 15K miles

Is replacing the water pump a must?

Anyone know how much to get the valves inspected/adjusted by Acura?

I would replace the water pump. Especially if its 8 yrs old or more. Might as well. A lot of other stuff should get taken care of if it hasn't like hoses.

Is that what Acura recomends the water pump isn't cheap and neither is labor, I think a honda water pump can live past 15K.

It looks like it only has to be replaced every 90K and mine has been replaced twice by 75K

The Service Manual for my 2000 model year specifies timing belt replacement and valve clearance inspection at 7 yr or 168,000 km intervals (whichever comes first). The Service Manual specifies that the water pump be inspected at the same 7 yr interval but does not specify a replacement interval for the water pump (or the coolant hoses for that matter). My take is that because the labor cost associated with the individual timing belt or pump replacement is so high, combining the pump replacement with the timing belt replacement is low cost insurance. That said, I did not replace the pump during the last belt replacement so my original pump has about 13 yr and 112,000 km on it with no problems so far.

It is recommended that you replace the WP at the same time as the TB, because it is easy to replace the WP while you are in there to replace the TB. However, taking a gamble and not replacing the WP is not the same as not replacing the TB, in that, a failed WP will usually not cause serious damage (unless overheated), whereas, if the TB snaps, you will have catastrophic engine failure.

...a failed WP will usually not cause serious damage (unless overheated), whereas, if the TB snaps, you will have catastrophic engine failure.
I've never heard of an NSX TB snapped or torn actually (and I've been reading NSX prime for years now), even not in the cars that have the TB NOT changed up to 20 years. A TB can fail but the WP and idler pulley are the ones that make it fail very much sooner than expected. So a bad WP is very critical IMHO. But with only 15k miles on it I'd give it a second chance but that's just me. Once the TB is dismounted move the WP. If you have the slightest suspicion that the bearing is not 100% ok, replace it. That's what most of our dealers in Europe do if it's somewhere in the half of it's expected life. One dealer even told me that he's never seen a bad WP, well I did, on my car but that was with 90k miles and 17 years on it (bearing).

I've never heard of an NSX TB snapped or torn actually (and I've been reading NSX prime for years now), even not in the cars that have the TB NOT changed up to 20 years. A TB can fail but the WP and idler pulley are the ones that make it fail very much sooner than expected. So a bad WP is very critical IMHO. But with only 15k miles on it I'd give it a second chance but that's just me. Once the TB is dismounted move the WP. If you have the slightest suspicion that the bearing is not 100% ok, replace it. That's what most of our dealers in Europe do if it's somewhere in the half of it's expected life. One dealer even told me that he's never seen a bad WP, well I did, on my car but that was with 90k miles and 17 years on it (bearing).

Well I stand corrected then. The only Honda/Acura waterpump failures I have personally seen is when coolant starts to leak from the weep hole on the WP.

Back