• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Weight Reduction

How much do these weight reduction measures really affect daily driving performance?

that's right, liftcontrol: I removed over 100 kilogramm and can now keep up with some Porsche GT 3s, at least one supercharged NSX, many Ferrari F 355 and a few 360s (with bad drivers and street tires) on the track.

jmjrdh1: I wouldn't have done it if I would still use the car for street driving. This car is fast enough on the street when it's bone stock (sometimes already too fast).

Don't forget the driver...

When doing weight reduction on your car, don't forget the blob of biological material sitting in the driver's seat! Next time, order a salad instead of that bacon double cheeseburger :D .

Re: Don't forget the driver...

flaminio said:
When doing weight reduction on your car, don't forget the blob of biological material sitting in the driver's seat! Next time, order a salad instead of that bacon double cheeseburger :D .

Hey, who cares if I'm 5'4 350 lbs!!! As long as I have a $2500 exhaust that weights 10 lbs!!! :D :D

liftcontrol: It wasn't that much of a fortune as it may seem. My mechanic saved me a lot by inventing, building and mounting things custom made for bargain prices - it's a kind of marketing effort for his little company - the car nearly always stands in his yard so that his clients can see it.

And sometimes I take him for some hot rides on the passenger seat at tracks nearby, such as Hockenheim. He definetely loves to feel (and hear!) the results of his efforts. I guess he's nearly as proud of the car as I am - although he works more with Porsches and Bimmers.

Just think about the Lotus Elise when you are doing weight reduction on the NSX. With only 140 hp (?), but bless with such a light weight frame, that thing is fast.

Remember to take out the AC unit.

I have a question. Is there any way that someone can remove the interior of the car without making it look like a tornado went through the car? I too would love to make my (Future) NSX light and would remove the interior except that after you do so it looks like crap. I was just wondering if there is a way to make the car look descent while saving huge amounts of weight.

Also this may sound stupid but is the front and rear bumper beams that important to keep. If you are going to crash I think you would most likely try to avoid the crash meaning if you do, the car won't hit head on, but more at an angle. I don't know just asking questions. Also since they weigh about the same your car will still be balanced out afterwards.

Okay - the interiour with everything removed really doesn't look too good, but on the track I have no time to see it ;-)

You can make it look better with carbon fibre panels and aluminium sheets - a lot of work but maybe worth it.

Midnight_Raven said:
I have a question. Is there any way that someone can remove the interior of the car without making it look like a tornado went through the car? I too would love to make my (Future) NSX light and would remove the interior except that after you do so it looks like crap. I was just wondering if there is a way to make the car look descent while saving huge amounts of weight.

Also this may sound stupid but is the front and rear bumper beams that important to keep. If you are going to crash I think you would most likely try to avoid the crash meaning if you do, the car won't hit head on, but more at an angle. I don't know just asking questions. Also since they weigh about the same your car will still be balanced out afterwards.
\

uhh.. not sure if removing the bumpers is a wise move.. i guess if you really want to get into it, dump the seat belts and air bag also... might save a few pounds.. I was under the impression that in an accident, you can't really predict where and when you are going to take the shot.. You know, you are sitting at the light, checking out the babette in the BMW next to you, and some mofo blabbing on the cell phone behind you nails you cause he didn't see the light was red.... or the drunk driver suddenly realizes the he's in england, and is driving on the wrong side of the road and crosses the median right in fron t of you (you being law abiding, are only traveling 50MPH, while he is cruising at 70MPH).. leaving you about .2 seconds to process that he is going to smash you flat as a pancake..:D

Well your right but I was thinking if you were to be hit from the side your pretty much safe since the front bumbers don't do anything for side impacts.

I guess making the aluminum bar slightly thinner is the smartest choice in this situation. You save some wieght and you still have some safty left.

Just asking questions.

NSX-Racer said:
Okay - the interiour with everything removed really doesn't look too good, but on the track I have no time to see it ;-)

You can make it look better with carbon fibre panels and aluminium sheets - a lot of work but maybe worth it.

That is exactly what I was thinking making some sort of carbon or aluminium cover for the door and stuff.

I was wondering about what a complete Carbon Fiber dashboard would look like and how much that would save compared to the stock dashboard. I think it would look very interesting and save lots of weight. But I know nothing about this which is why I rely on you guys to correct me if I'm wrong.

that dash in the NSX weighs no more than 10lbs and that includes the area around the shift boot.

if you want to reduce weight and really make a difference with no cost do:

remove a/c inluding heavy compressor and evaporator
remove wipers and wiper motor
remove blower motor
trunk tools
floor mats
spare wheel etc and braket
sunvisor and engine and trunk shocks (little but helps)
passanger seat

then if not light enough buy
exhuast/headers
fly wheel
racing seat
steering wheel
dry cell battery
light weight wheels (unless on stock)
lexan rear hatch

with this done with alittler less than 1/4 of gas my 1991 NSX weighed in at 2,648lbs

Then I have to wonder how some people get there NSX down to 2,300-2,400lbs. That with 300-400hp would be a monster.

Excuse me for bringing this from Death...

Does anyone have an idea of how much weight I could save for removing wipers and wiper motors?? I really never use my windsheild wiper (thank you RainX, best product I sweared to use on any car i drive).

The wipers together weigh about 2 lbs. I removed the wipers more for the fact that the car looks so much better without the wipers. I use rainX and really do not need the wipers anyway.

I think removing the wiper motor is a bit difficult. If you do however remove the motor, please advise how you did it.

NSXDreamer2 said:
Does anyone have an idea of how much weight I could save for removing wipers and wiper motors??
The wiper motor assembly is pretty heavy. I would guess around 10 lbs. I have an spare one I can weigh - give me a day or two.

liftcontrol said:
If you do however remove the motor, please advise how you did it.
It's not too difficult, but I did destroy some clips that hold the windshield lower molding down (maybe there's a special tool for this or perhaps I just did something wrong). Refer to service manual pages 23-285 and 23-286.

Kinan said:
If it wasn't a vacuum in there moisture would get trapped and fog up the rear window.
Not a good idea...

But then they'd just wouldn't use two (they'd use just one thicker window).

Last edited:
Back