• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Weight Reduction

ncdogdoc said:
The glass between the passenger compartment and the engine compartment is made up of a sandwich of two panes of glass, with a vacuum between them. I have never heard of removing just one pane, but it makes sense, and it will allow you to hear that sweet six cylinder sound even better!!

Zanardi edition, JDM Type S/R have only one glass

Our car has just been stripped. It has no air con, radio or the majority of interior (dashboard is left). At the moment it weighs less than an NSX-R but there is a roll cage to go in.

There is some weight to lose however, the wiring is to be moved to the front (there are 3 looms and 2 huge boxes behind the seats) plus the doors haven't been stripped properly of speakers and amps. These will be replaced by a carbon panel with a simple opening mechanism. A full carbon dash is also coming and perhaps perspex windows (already getting perspex middle partition for roll cage).

NSX-Inside.jpg

NSX-Back.jpg

-Rob

Here's another Free Jenny Craig / Weight Watchers meal.

I removed the 6mm Steel Front tie down plates (Requires bumper removal to get to the bolts) Figured my car was too low to ever be able to use them. I left the steel front towing eye though. saved about 4-5 pounds.

The Steel rear tie down plates I copied in 6mm Alluminum. Saved at least a couple of pounds.

It all adds up.

any idea who has the lightest NSX out there. Just curious what a stripped NSX would weigh if it was a dedicated track car.

NSXLuvr said:
any idea who has the lightest NSX out there. Just curious what a stripped NSX would weigh if it was a dedicated track car.

The lightest that I've heard is the AOB NSX that Bryan Hunter was primarily driving at NSXPO 2005 in Phoenix this year. It apparently only weighs in at 2,300 pounds and was very quick on the Firebird course (it's still NA).

liftcontrol said:
How much does a CD changer weigh? ( I have one in the trunk)
TIA :)

I was shocked, I just removed mine (with attached bracket) and it was a hefty 10.5lbs! This does not include the wiring from the head unit to the trunk (maybe another 0.5-1.0lb?) but I am not touching that.

With a new Alpine headunit I am able to play CD's without having that "boat anchor" in the trunk! :biggrin:

Understudy said:
The lightest that I've heard is the AOB NSX that Bryan Hunter was primarily driving at NSXPO 2005 in Phoenix this year. It apparently only weighs in at 2,300 pounds
That equals about 1,043 kg! Very impressive - was it measured with full tank too?

NSX-Racer said:
That equals about 1,043 kg! Very impressive - was it measured with full tank too?

Yeah, i'd love to know more details. I reckon COMPLETELY stripping a standard car can get it down to 1150kg.

I have been weighing ours as stuff comes out out, but there is more to come, and a roll cage to go in. It has heavier brakes and wheels but it is already on NSX-R weight.

How much does your's weigh NSX Racer?

-Rob

robfenn said:
Yeah, i'd love to know more details. I reckon COMPLETELY stripping a standard car can get it down to 1150kg.

I certainly don't know any details about the car, but if you're interested I'd contact John Vasos at Acura of Brookfield for more information about that car and its weight reduction. The weight does seem VERY low, but it surely is quite fast on the track.

Understudy said:
The lightest that I've heard is the AOB NSX that Bryan Hunter was primarily driving at NSXPO 2005 in Phoenix this year. It apparently only weighs in at 2,300 pounds and was very quick on the Firebird course (it's still NA).

Does any one have pics, or more info on this NSX. Such as the year?

NSX-Racer said:
See post No. 82 - just some posts ahead ;-)

Duh! Sorry!

Guys, i was wondering, are the frog eye lights a lot lighter than the pop ups?

Also, can you buy an off the shelf Lexan rear hatch from somewhere?

Cheers,

-Rob

Thanks for the pic, also i have a question of the hatch for those who have it or have sat in a car with it, does it kill your rear visibility. Or can you see around it.

Anosa said:
Thanks for the pic, also i have a question of the hatch for those who have it or have sat in a car with it, does it kill your rear visibility. Or can you see around it.
You can not see directly behind you but I use the side mirrors most of the time anyway

kam3ham3 said:
Any idea of how much weight is reduced?

I don't have an numbers to quote you, but having picked up the lexan hatch before I know it is pretty significant difference from the stock glass. Call Chris at ScienceofSpeed and he might have the actual weight reduction.

I have also sat in a couple of cars with the rear hatch duct and as chudson1549 says it basically eliminates the rear visibility and you'd have to rely upon your side mirrors.

Well the glass must weigh sh*t loads really, it's massive! Thanks for the link to SoS, i should of found it considering i'm on that site almost every day!!

I was just dreaming about having a 1000kg NSX... who needs 500bhp! :D

Back