• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Weird Engine Code help?

Driving this weekend, I had the engine light come on. At the same time, I noticed that the volts reading on the voltmeter was up higher than the standard 14ish. Pulled over, shut the car down, waited a few minutes, fired her up, no CEL.

It did not return, after several shut down and restarts.

Pulled the codes tonight, and get a 34 and a 44. Using the manual (page 11-36), 44 appears to be a rear 02 sensor or rear fuel supply system, but what is a 34? Checked it about 8 times to make sure it was a 34, and it is. Three longs, 4 shorts, followed by many four longs, four shorts. Been a year or so since the battery has been disconnected, but never noticed a CEL till this weekend.

Anybody got any opinions on the high charging rate and the code 34?
TIA!

Tom, assuming your name is Tom by your screen name. If not then sorry. I too have encountered problems like these. When humidity is high and I first start my Civic I get a engine light. After reviewing, the conclusion is only that the sensor that triggered the light just " went out of range " electrically speaking that is. With no real problem to the vehicle.
Looking in my manual page 11-20 I see a list of codes. Not knowing what driving conditions you were in, Do you think that either the sensor went out of range or you may be mistaking the long 4's as just a 4 and a 3? Just asking. Does the car still run O.K.? Besides the volt reading. Are the battery cables clean and tight? Is there any more information that you can give us.
Trying to help

Steve

Yeah, car is running fine, and did during the CEL, with the exception of the higher voltage reading. No more CEL, and it was only on for about a minute. No more high voltage readings either.

Long three and then short four, no mistake there, which is what is confusing me. No such code.

Noticed the CEL during standard 70mph highway driving, about 15 minutes after starting the car,so nothing weird to trigger it, that I can think of, other than it hadn't been run for about 2 weeks prior.

FWIW, this is the first and only time the CEL has come on in the car, since I have had it (3 years) and it has not come back on since the initial shut down to clear it. I know resetting the ECU will clear the codes till it comes back, just wondering about what I see/saw.

O.K If it doesn't come again then I guess, no worries. I had a friend tell me that he had an engine code come up once that could only be deciphered by Honda themselves. True or not I don't know. If you get the code again then let us know. I would like to know what is going on myself. It might be somethig very minor. Good luck

Steve

Back