• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Weird noise

Hi guys,
Can anyone help with this one?
I have a sort of clanging pinging noise coming from both rear sides. This occurs when driving slowly forward and backwards straight and turning.
Can't hear it when going faster than walking pace It is almost like something is winding up slightly and then letting go creating this noise. Pushing the car very gently forward and backwards on a flat floor (so suspension not working) still makes the noise . Rotating the wheels by hand wheels whilst on floor stands produces NO noise.
All the suspension mounts look good and are tight, it is not the brakes I have removed the pads and the caliper on one side then replaced the wheel and the noise is still there when the car pushed.
I have replaced CV boots on LH side CV joint seemed to be 100%. Checked engine mounts
all tight.
Replaced wheel bearing.
The noise does not happen at the same instant on both sides ie.
one side will make the noise then the other and so on. I have literally checked everything but I am wondering whether it could be the LSD plates grabbing and then slipping but that doesn't seem to be a correct assumption since on a flat floor pushing straight the diff shouldn't in theory be working.
Car is 1991 - 90000 kms (56000 miles)
Be greatly appreciated for some ideas on this one
Many thanks John

It could be the rear hub nuts. If they change direction they will make a click/ pinging noise. It could also be the rear brake pads shifting slightly when the rotor changes direction.

All the hub nuts/bolts are tight and I have replaced a wheel bearing the old unit
was actually OK but I replaced it anyway just to make sure.
Have pushed the car with pads and caliper removed -noise still there so it definitely isn't the brakes which was incidently was the 1st thing I thought it was.

Regards John

maybe fender liners are known to pop off and rub.

other than that you need to have someone drive it while you walk next to the car and try and zero in on the sound to get a better idea where its coming from.

also whats the weather like were you are? I mean if its cold the NSX makes weird noises in the cold.

mine was making a rubbing sound like a bad pulley. I ended up saying F-it replace it all including the timing belt water pump. I dont want my car to fail on me as I drive it so hard its not funny.

It's definitely not fender liners rubbing.
Had the car over a pit pushing it backwards and forwards still can't locate where this noise is coming from.
Weather is pretty warm - our summer here in New Zealand.
The next thing is to change the trans oil to MTF3.(I have some on order from Mark at Dali)
I put Honda MTF in the trans
sometime ago but I'm sure that it wasn't MTF3 as we can't get that here. I think it was Hondas std issue MTF. Whether MTF3 will solve the problem I dont know
as I said in my first thread I wouldn't have thought on a flat floor moving straight ahead would have activated the diff.

Is it a rattling? I had a noise in my rear engine hatch that turned out to be the latch itself.

Hi guys,
Can anyone help with this one?
I have a sort of clanging pinging noise coming from both rear sides. This occurs when driving slowly forward and backwards straight and turning.
Can't hear it when going faster than walking pace It is almost like something is winding up slightly and then letting go creating this noise. Pushing the car very gently forward and backwards on a flat floor (so suspension not working) still makes the noise . Rotating the wheels by hand wheels whilst on floor stands produces NO noise.
All the suspension mounts look good and are tight, it is not the brakes I have removed the pads and the caliper on one side then replaced the wheel and the noise is still there when the car pushed.
I have replaced CV boots on LH side CV joint seemed to be 100%. Checked engine mounts
all tight.
Replaced wheel bearing.
The noise does not happen at the same instant on both sides ie.
one side will make the noise then the other and so on. I have literally checked everything but I am wondering whether it could be the LSD plates grabbing and then slipping but that doesn't seem to be a correct assumption since on a flat floor pushing straight the diff shouldn't in theory be working.
Car is 1991 - 90000 kms (56000 miles)
Be greatly appreciated for some ideas on this one
Many thanks John

If it doesn't happen when it's jacked up then the only thing that changes is weight on the suspension, bearings and axles. It doesn't sound like a bearing, could be a spring mounting pad (rubber at top and bottom of spring) rubbing through or a CV joint. Check the spring pads and the other CV joints you haven't checked. Have you pushed on the fender with the car standing still to see if there's any noise from just the suspension?

Thanks for your help.
It's not a bearing as I have renewed the left one to see if that was the problem and the noise still occurs on that side. Also the replaced bearing was really OK. It does, as you say, only happen when the wheels are carrying the weight of the car so it has to be related to that. I'm thinking you are right to suggest the other CV joint although you would think it would feel rough when turned with the car jacked and spinning the wheels by hand and it doesn't.
I had checked the spring cups as you suggest but the noise seems more coming from the axle area so I think it has to be in the drive. Could it be the carrier bearing?
However wouldn't this also feel like a typical stuffed bearing when spinning the wheels by hand?
Am I right in assuming it couldn't be the LSD clutch plates loading up slightly then letting go when on flat ground and straight ahead it shouldn't be working. Also I have checked the torque on the LSD as per the service manual ie. one wheel on the ground and torquing the raised one and it seems to be in spec.
Do you think if the RH CV the one I haven't serviced (because the boots are intact) is needing some attention - re-greasing etc. that it would send sound thru the axles to both sides of the car?
I think I will service it anyway as
Larry B suggests as this one is subjected to more heat also it doesn't show signs it has ever been done and the car is 21years old now.

It may be something in the LSD, but I don't know enough about it to say one way or another. Since the car is making the noise in neutral, with the engine not running that pretty much eleminates the tranny too. :confused:

I took my CV boots loose to repack them and found the needle bearings in one of them ground up in a 100 little pieces. It never made any noise at all.

Let us know what you find.

I might be tempted to put the car in the air and start tapping stuff (lightly) with a plastic hammer to see if I could find something that generated the same pitch of "ping".

I'm with the majority saying that the guts of one of the CV joints may be on the blink (such that re-greasing may not be all that's needed). Alternately, you might check the suspension attachments points like the toe link ball joints to see if any of them may be binding up as the wheel works against them a little due to the alignment usually having something more than 0 camber and toe.

Back