• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What are the NSX's Golden Years?

What is your favorite year range?

• 1991-1994 Coupe, 3.0, 5-speed, popup headlights

Votes: 83 42.6%
  • 1995-1996 Targa, 3.0, 5-speed, popup headlights

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • 1997-2001 Targa, 3.2, 6-speed, popup headlights

Votes: 68 34.9%
  • 2002-2005 Targa 3.2, 6-speed, fixed headlights

Votes: 37 19.0%

• Total voters
+1. A supercharged Zanardi is my dream NSX.

Some guy in Mesa, AZ was selling one awhile back...
I checked it out and did a write up on it a year or two ago

I like the 2000-2001 year and hunted for a long time for one

dream... probably a coupe with a Honda Indy V8 squeezed into it :biggrin:

The real Golden Year is the 1993 Coupe two tone Black top. That was the best year because they smoothed out and fixed all the kinks fron 91-92. 93's still had manual sterring. Also the last year Acura/Honda made the black top formula style. They stopped painting the black tops 94-05 due to high costs, so Honda painted 94-2005 all one color to save $$. Makes me laugh when owners want to change the black top to match the rest.
Therefore, the 93 NSX should be worth a little bit more than other coupes.
IMO, coupes should be more desirable for those that want a true solid track car performance.

How was that? Did I sound like one of the candidates feeding you a bunch of BS..... Well, some of it is actually true..

I've always had more power plans for the NSX when I first got it in 2007. Of course I waited and waited until finally something like the SOS SC came along.

Since the 5 speed tranny seems to be stronger and the 3.0 engine is more optimized for forced induction (steel sleeved combustion chamber and better heads from talking to a few people) it made perfect sense to me.

Also I didn't want the targa top and preferred OBD-1.

....... My brother in law was looking at my NSXPO2012 pictures and he thought the "bug-eyes" was a bad mod! His comment: " why would anyone do that to such a beautiful car?" <- his comment, not mine...

He is a very smart man with good tastes.

Bug eye is plastic versus classic glass of the pop ups.

You should have a category for 2000 - 2001 coupes. < most Golden!

Beat me to it, sort of

2000-2001 in general (for the same reason as 97-99's but a few extra improvements such as perf leather), and not because I own one.

Last edited:
Why are you guys talking as if someone has insulted the 95-96 models? All I said was it's not the "Golden years" of the NSX. How can it be? It just doesn't have any advantages over any of the other groups. I see 6 votes now. Which tells me people will vote for their own car, despite the actual question.
1995 was the year the NSX became the car that I wanted. It's that simple.

The real Golden Year is the 1993 Coupe two tone Black top. That was the best year because they smoothed out and fixed all the kinks fron 91-92. 93's still had manual sterring. Also the last year Acura/Honda made the black top formula style. They stopped painting the black tops 94-05 due to high costs, so Honda painted 94-2005 all one color to save $$. Makes me laugh when owners want to change the black top to match the rest.
Therefore, the 93 NSX should be worth a little bit more than other coupes.
IMO, coupes should be more desirable for those that want a true solid track car performance.

How was that? Did I sound like one of the candidates feeding you a bunch of BS..... Well, some of it is actually true..

If anything it probably would really be the 1992 model which was the golden year. In 1993 they added the passenger side airbag which increased weight. The 1992 was the last original model before they had to start modifying it to meet new regulations. At least that's my opinion. Although the 1997-2001 3.2L 6 Speed Coupes compared to all the other US based models is probably the best performance wise with the exception of the Zanardi. Funny thing is those are rarer than the Zanardi hehe.

Last edited:
1995 was the year the NSX became the car that I wanted. It's that simple.

That's fine. Of course everyone has personal preferences... but I don't think you have a legit argument that it became the "golden year" in 1995 because it became the car you wanted for you.

I think from a more objective standpoint, you can't argue that it was indeed the earliest year if the definition of "golden year" is when the car stood out the most compared to everything else.

I am just trying to answer the question posted on the thread. What would automotive journalists say? People that know the car well without having emotional ties to the ones they own? I bet the poll would show a very strong tilt towards the 1991-1992 models.

Last edited:
Tough to say.I think the title of the thread is what is confusing.The golden years of anything should be a nostalgic reference in which looking back the item in question was in its purest least distilled form.from the nsx perspective the 91-93 coupe is it. Interestingly i think i might say those same years if the topic was what were Hondas' golden years.

Tough to say.I think the title of the thread is what is confusing.The golden years of anything should be a nostalgic reference in which looking back the item in question was in its purest least distilled form.from the nsx perspective the 91-93 coupe is it. Interestingly i think i might say those same years if the topic was what were Hondas' golden years.

Based on that, year 2000 was Honda's golden year... Just think, brand new you could purchase

-Civic Si (the good one)
-Integra GSR
-Integra Type R
-Prelude SH
-S2000
-NSX

I know many here will scoff at most of those cars, but that's quite a line up of cars that were designed with drivers in mind. I have zero idea what happened after that.

Counter arguement would be for 1991 because it had the last run of the CRX si and first/purist NSX.

The mid 90's did bring the birth of the targa top in the Del Sol and NSX... I'm not sure if that was a good thing or not.

IMHO - 1993 was THE best year. Having owned a 1998 and now a 1993. 1993 is mod friendly being that it is the last obd1; coupe; and out of the snap ring gear production.

I dont miss the targa or the 6speed. I do miss the 3.2 though....

And now after my 2005 front conversion, I feel I have the best of both worlds...

Last edited:
91. It was the time when Honda put all the time and money into that year. After that not so much. Plus it's the year when the nsx was the car years ahead of its time.

I think any year any combo owning an NSX is golden period. We have a car that was ahead of its time regardless of the year. A car that still is rare enough that makes you feel different driving it, most people still ask what's that...be happy and proud of owning it!

Coupe with 3.2 and 6-speed

targa def out of the question its to flimsy and weak LOL j/k

flame suit on.

all I need to do to my 92 DD is the 3.2 bottom which I have but no time to install it. and I will have my perfected Stock NSX

already have the 6-speed with dual input shaft installed thanks SOS by the way waited weeks for the thing to get shipped in from Japan.

That's pretty cool Shawn - great stuff - keep it up dude!

- - - Updated - - -

If I could choose any NSX I would take a 2005 Type R. That is the best NSX. The newest, lightest, fastest.

But "golden years" is not really the right term because by 2005 many other cars had surpassed its performance and safety standards. "golden years" to me sounds like the years where it defined a category of car, and in that light I would say those years were the early 90's. That was the golden years for the NSX.

One of your best posts Turbo - I couldn't agree more with your assessment. That sums it up in just a few sentences.

Definitely love my '02 Silver, but as for "Golden Year" of the NSX, I'd have to say the '97-'01 for the classic pop-ups and the 3.2L 6 speed

I have to go with 97-01 and I dont even own one from that time period lol. Gotta love the popups with a better motor and that extra gear.

97-01 Coupe
02-05 Coupe

Are missing, i'd say a 97-01 Coupe 6MT would be the one to have ether that or a 02-05 Coupe 6MT.
Personally i highly prefer the Coupe over the Targa, traga's are more of a cruiser.

Two tone Type-S would be one of the ultimate "street" NSX's in imola, lime or formula red. a single tone midnight-pearl is a beauty as wel!

Last edited:
I voted 91-94 because i wanted a coupe. But i do like the 3.2 liter!

The problem with this thread is that the title and poll are completely different.

The NSX Golden Years (topic) is what turbo was saying--91. That's when it was a legendary, world-beating vehicle that changed the game.

The poll asks what is your favorite year range? I think that results in people voting for the years of their own car because they own and them and their own cars are their favorite (nothing wrong with that--being content is a great characteristic). My favorite is 02-05 because it was the final iteration of the NSX with lots of little things that were probably optimized.

Golden Years and what your favorite year range are 2 completely different things.

Last edited:
Back