• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what did you drive in high school

I rode a really long yellow thing through out HS. Too bad my parents weren't living with me to buy me anything (but to me it was good). My proudest moment was when I bought my first car with my summer savings in 1995 (1986 Audi 4000S) after HS. It was a 5 sp and I never driven manual before but managed to drive it home (10 miles, stalled once at the lights).
So now my son will have to experience what I had to do to earn toys when he grows up...:)

I walked to HS, and on the good days, I took the RTD, which is the public bus system in L.A. back then, not sure if it's still around...

first was my dads 91 Acura Legend - that thing was awesome :biggrin:

then a 99 civic - it went thru the "rice" phase to a relatively nice look before i finally sold it, i was a kid and it was a relatively "new" thing back then, pre- Fast and Furious days

Bodykit, Altezza lights, Touring wing, the rice-works hahaha
JR-HIN1.jpg

After Highschool
Painted Mercedes Bahama Beach Blue Pearl, nicer wheels, converted to manual transmission, B18C1
HeavyCivic2.jpg

JohnRey_Civic_01.jpg

JR_Civic_01.jpg

DSC03694.jpg

Last edited:
That's swell:smile:

I was able to buy this with help from my Dad cause I worked summer's at his Lighting Factory....circa 1976

My first wreck was when I tried to shoot a gap in the rain..aborted cause I didn't want to take out gap driver... causing myself to have to slam into a parked car. You can see excellent repair:biggrin:

Note: Bell Bottom Jeans , Afro...:biggrin:

spooler

Attachments

• trans 455.jpg
    trans 455.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 207
Dude, I remember the RTD! Took it to school back in 91-93. I believe they've renamed it to the metro, or something..

I drove a 1996 Toyota Corolla, automatic. It was pretty slow and weak, but sweet for the 16 year old I was at the time! I thought it was actually fast :D

My buddy at the time (still the best buddy I got), drove us around in a 1987 Grand National. Now that, was bad ass :D It was basically a la-z-boy with a fat rocket booster tied to it.

I drove a 71 Mustang. It did not belong to me it belonged to a friend. I had use of it for several months and if not for him loaning it to me I would not have as many good memories. He trashed his car and needed to get the Mustang back for a couple of days. He had it one hour and someone hit it while parked and totalled it. :frown:

1967 VW Bug. Drove that for about two years, and then it died, so I sold it to my neighbor for $50. After that I bought a mo-ped, which worked out great once I went to college -- no car parking, but I could ride the mo-ped pretty much anywhere. I was on a big campus, and it made life much easier.

70 Cuda, 383 magnum, 4 speed, 355 posi, gold shag carpet.

Attachments

• Cuda1.jpg
    Cuda1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 89
I drove a 68 Impala 2-door Custom, rebuilt 327 with a Rochester 4-bbl, headers and exhaust. It made about 300 hp at the wheels and ate my Powerglide transmissions for lunch!

Oh yeah, that's me. And my hair. :wink:

Attachments

• 68 Impala.jpg
    68 Impala.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
I drove a white 1983 Dodge Aries K station wagon. I think it was only one ever made with a four speed manual tranny and front bench seat. :biggrin: I installed a kick-a$$ sony stereo and all of my friends learned how to drive shift on that car.

AriesKWagon.jpg

I drove an '84 Fiero for a year and then sold it and got my '85 Mustang GT senior year. (mine was the brighter red tho). Of course I graduated in '92, so these cars were fairly old by then, but relative bargans. $2k a peice. I never really thought about it, but I guess my 1st car was mid engine...perhaps that's why I found my way back here to the NSX!

2086470_G.jpg

mm_0505_1z+1985_Ford_Mustang_GT+driver_front_side_view.jpg

Renault_Alliance.jpg

One of these. Needless to say, I was very popular with the ladies! :redface:

This girl Jennifer I used to hang around with in high school had one of those. Jennifer was one of those beautiful air heads. She stops by my house one day to pick me up. We are headed down the road and the car is waving side to side. I asked her what was wrong with the car. She says it has been like that for a few days. We get to where we are going I walk around to the drivers side and the rear tire is almost completely flat. She is now an attorney. I have no clue how she ever got into college to get the degree let alone actually pass the exam.

When the Fiero first came out the same guy who let me use his 71 Mustang rented a Fireo. We were headed through the shopping mall parking lot and it was winter time. There was an area where we had to go left or right. I hit the brakes and the car slides into the cement island splitting the two paths. It ripped the drivers side tire, rim, suspension and brake assembly right off the car.:eek: We trashed so many rental cars in that mall parking lot. :biggrin:

We rented this, I think it was a Baretta, from Budget. We were at the same mall and noticed the new fangled digital speedometer registered in reverse. It was winter time so we are seeing who can get the car going the fastest in reverse before losing control or just swinging the wheel and doing multiple spins. Our one friend, he was 14 or 15 at the time got the top speed. He cranked the wheel and hit a lamp pole with the front of the car. The car was completely totaled.

The mall has put in dirt mounds across the parking lot since. When we were teens there was nothing there in the parking lot at all. It was out 100 acre playground after midnight when no one was around.

LOL when my 84 crx wasn't running I had to ride in my friends Renault Alliance *convertable* omg lol

I took two girls to a mall and when we were ready to go home, it blew the radiator hose and I had to tell the girls to take the bus home. They never wanted to hang out with me after that :confused: The engine also blew when I took it up to 85mph on the highway. :eek:

High School: When I hit 15 1/2 years old I got a 1978 Dodge Colt - Pea Green. Got great gas mileage and I bumped my 6x9 speakers until they blew. :biggrin:

2nd in High School: 1980 Ford Thunderbird 5.0 - Low rider. It had deep dish triple chrome wire wheels (made by Sharp) w/ Goodyear Arriva whitewall tires, etc, etc but I stopped short of getting pumps. Also had a 1972 VW Beetle (it belonged to the GF, now wife), but I repaired it.

College: 1991 Civic LX 4 Door. This was before the F&F era, so it was tastefully modded (lowered, wheels, stereo, etc). Also GF sold the 72 Beetle and got a dark blue 69 w/ sunroof and white interior - that car was fun.

First car out of college: Brand new off the lot, Milano Red/Black 1998 Acura Integra GS-R w/ leather option and I still have it (only 55K miles now) :biggrin:

Back