• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What do you think of the Subaru WRX?

Hey,

I am shopping for a 2nd vehicle to replace my '97 Explorer. The lease is up on the Explorer and I don't plan on buying it. I am trying to find a new car (want the warranty) in the 25K range. Today I test drove a 2002 Subaru WRX and I really liked it (not the prettiest car on the planet, though).

Do any of you have one? If so, what do you think of it?

The other cars I am considering are the Acura RSX and the Acura TL.

Matt

------------------
2000 NSX-T #49
Silverstone/Black
11,000 miles
No Mods

Hi Matt,

One of our local NSXers had one and had a lot of mechanical problems with his. He decided to sell it after 900 miles.

Basically, the WRX is a great engine looking for a great car to go with it. The acceleration is peppy thanks to 227 horses and 4WD (despite the fairly heavy 3085 pound curb weight). Brakes and suspension are only so-so, definitely not up to sports car standards.

Comparing it with the other two cars you mentioned, it's closer in category to the RSX Type S. The WRX might be better up here in Chicago, where its 4WD come in handy, but we get much more snow than you do 300 miles south of here. In your area, you might be better off with the RSX Type S. For a similar price, the WRX accelerates faster (only slightly), while the RSX Type S handles better and brakes better, and is a lot more reliable. The WRX comes as a four-door or a wagon, while the RSX Type S is a two-door.

The TL is really in an entirely different category, the "near luxury sedan" category, along with the Lexus ES300, the BMW 3 Series, and similar cars. These cars are bigger and roomier than the sport compacts like the RSX Type S or WRX, with somewhat softer suspensions and plusher accommodations. Within its segment, the TL Type S is an incredible value; it comes with 260 horsepower (more than its direct competitors) and includes a lot of standard equipment (leather, HID lights, sunroof) that is optional on its direct competitors. The TL Type S stickers for around $32K, while a comparably-equipped Lexus or BMW model will cost $8-10K more. It's a great car in so many ways, but is really a totally different kind of car from an RSX Type S or a WRX.

Hey Ken,

The RSX Type S is probably at the top of my list but my wife wants a 4 door. I had a CL Type S before I got my NSX so I know all about the CL/TL. I really like them. Actually, I would love to get another CL. They have a new color called anthracite metallic (charcoal gray) that I really like.

I think I'll do some more research on the WRX before I decide. If there is a history of mechanical problems, I'll avoid it. It was a fun little car to drive, though.

Thanks,

Matt

To aid your research...
http://i-club.com/

This scooby site seems to be favored by a few guys I know that own the WRX...

I have driven all three cars, and for the money, its hard to beat a 3.2 TL type-S. It is just as fast as the RSX and offers a lot more. I really don't think you will be dissapointed with it.

I liked the WRX, but it felt BIG to me. Don't ask me why.

This just in, PT crusier is getting a turbo and it will have more torque than an NSX
frown.gif
That is really sad. It acutally sounds like it will be pretty zipppy with 215 HP.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Originally posted by NSXForEver:
Actually, I would love to get another CL. They have a new color called anthracite metallic (charcoal gray) that I really like.

It's also now available with a six-speed, if that's of interest.

Originally posted by NSXForEver:
"but my wife wants a 4 door. "

Thanks,

Matt

Until I saw the comment about the 4 door, I was going to suggest a high mileage '91 NSX!
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 27 March 2002).]

I never driven a WRX before, but I do have experince with the Acura RSX and TL Type-S. The TL belongs to my mom and it's not only cheaper compare to it's competitors (ie Lexus ES300) it also has better performance and a great review from car magazine regarding drivablility in bad conditions such as snow... The RSX I driven was a loaner car to my my when she took her TL in to fix a "squeaky noise" (turns out to be a lose screw)... but anyways me and my brother both driven in the RSX (not type s) the performance aspect of it is pretty good but the visibility of the car is not that good, not so much as looking out the main front windshield, but the small winds around... yea...

I'd go for the rear-wheel drive car- or shop around for one...much funner to drive!

------------------
93RX7TT-(4sale for NSX!)
95 Legend LS Coupe
89 Mazda MPV-Daily Beater

I've driven three WRX's that were in the shop for body mods.(Euro import French headlamps,scoops, skirts, wings etc)
They all had exhaust and suspension mods and one had mild engine upgrades. Some were louder than my NSX with RM exhaust and DC sports headers. I thought they were pretty neat and would like to get one myself. I agree about the looks though, they could use improvement. Kinda chintzy on the inside for the money. The all wheel drive is what makes it for me up here in the NE.
One customer from Vermont still has what I think is the perfect winter car.A Carrera 4 cabriolet! Puts the top down to take home the Chritsmas tree.

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 27 March 2002).]

LOVED my 3.2tl...great zip, felt really fast compared to competitors, fairly luxurious, GREAT navi system, roomier thanks to how they cut out the back of front seats......but now im in a sport utility???

dam, i may go car shopping this pm..

I think they are ugly as hell,and I would be embarressed to drive one .
I had one kid racing me home from my Sunday sushi dinner and I just said (you've got to be kidding).
If you are gonna drive a but ugly car why not pick a SAAB (although they are looking better this year) It doesn't look as if it was hit in the a#@ by a truck at a stop light .Come to think of it thats probably how they came up w/ that design.WOW LOOK AT THAT REAR-ENDED ,TRAFFIC STOPPING ACCIDENT!!! Wait John !! Thats it the new design we've been looking for......Do a quick sketch for our artists!!!

------------------

I just bought one last week. I traded in my Audi A6 4.2 for it. I wasn't looking to change or to buy another car, but I was shopping around with my friend who was, and test drove the WRX...and it was a fun car to drive. In stock trim, it is peppy, pulls strong, very good handling, seems to have so much grip...and I just had a lot of fun driving it. So I justified it by buying the WRX wagon so I can haul spares to the track. (I keep my race cars at the track.)

Interior is about what I'd expect for a $25k car. Pretty standard with the power stuff, cloth seats, vinyl trims, looks pretty good...but don't expect much. It did come with a in-dash cd changer. The leg room is barely enough in the back seat when I set the driver seat to my comfort position. (I am 6'1")

The exterior looks pretty good for a wagon. It doesn't have the fender flares like the sedan. Some think it is goofy looking, some think it is cute. I think it looks pretty good. I think the Mazda Protoge5 looks better for a low cost compact wagon, but it just makes no power at all...

The stock exhaust is very quiet. Apprently aftermarket exhausts are fairly loud and have a very aggressive and throaty sound...which I like a lot, but ain't no NSX nor Ferrari...

I drove a friend's lightly modded WRX, (Stage Zero Kit - under-drive pulley, up-pipe, manual boost control, revised fuel map...) and it pulls like my NSX with no cats, headers, and 98 exhaust. It is a very tune-able car, I think it would be easy to reach 400-500 hp.

I belong to IMBA (mountain biking) which is sponsored by Subaru...so I bought the WRX @ invoice...with all of the options I wanted including the bike rack was $23k before tax & licensing. I think it is a very good value. I am super happy with the car so far (700 miles, no problems yet. My friend's car has 9000 miles, modded since 500 miles and no probs on that neither...knock on wood.) I did get 5-speed with STI (Subaru) short-throw shifter and it feel much better than stock. While they were doing that, I had a Outback Sport to drive around and i hated the car with auto tranny.

Anyway, I feel that it is a good car, good value. I think you'd be disappointed if you were to compare it to NSX for handling, or Acura, Lexus, MB, BMW, Audi for quality and luxuary. I am just stoked that it carrys lots of stuff, good 5-speed and accelerates good and very willing to be tossed around corners. Ultimately, it is a much cheaper version of a S4/A4 Avant, IS300 Sportcross.

Terry
91 red/black

[This message has been edited by tc29 (edited 29 March 2002).]

Last night a couple of teenage males in a New Subaru WRX was trying to pick a race with me. It was late last night and there was no cars in front of me. From behind I see them racing right passed me. Then they stepped on the brakes so that they slowed to the point where we were side by side. He was side by side with me until he was fed up that I was not paying any attentin to him. Geez, how do parents raise their kids nowadays?

Ryan

yeah, theyre fed that tv media crack that shows them how to psychopath and be completely abnormal which is presented as really cool and the few heroes always have a lot of problems which winds up getting more attention than the actual heroic part which may be enlightening for adults but is very destructive for children...

by the by, i drove a type s coupe (cl). OH MAN, that is one fun car. the sales guy wanted me to drive it until i drove it. the handling was surprisingly good. im actually considering making a switch from my escalade. hey, for the money, i think that is the best all around car ive ever driven. ps. the bmw costs beaucoup more with the comparable package.

Just talked to a gent yesterday with a WRX that claims he not only has over 500hp but over $150,000 invested in this car including engine and body work :eek: :confused:. Not trying to hate or anything, but I would have bought me a used Modena for that much :rolleyes: :).

MYNSX said:
I think they are ugly as hell,and I would be embarressed to drive one .
I had one kid racing me home from my Sunday sushi dinner and I just said (you've got to be kidding).
If you are gonna drive a but ugly car why not pick a SAAB (although they are looking better this year) It doesn't look as if it was hit in the a#@ by a truck at a stop light .Come to think of it thats probably how they came up w/ that design.WOW LOOK AT THAT REAR-ENDED ,TRAFFIC STOPPING ACCIDENT!!! Wait John !! Thats it the new design we've been looking for......Do a quick sketch for our artists!!!

------------------
this is the problem, you would be embarressed to drive it? I don't understand how one can be embarressed by what he or she drives. talk about how kids are rised these days how are the so called "adults" acting these days? :rolleyes:

Saab came out with there new wagon which is the same car as a wrx wagon.
I would think they look the same. almost the same...

I for one think they are great cars, I had a wagon then got a STI, for what u get for the money its a great car. thats why you see lots of them on the road.

Ya he just has to have the bling because he has nothing else going for him. I think the WRX / STI / EVO stuff if great, in fact last night I was working on my friends car and we put down 712 HP to the wheels without the 150 shot @ 32 PSI in his Evo, Going to run 36 and tune it during the week. Let's see MyNsX get next to that in his F355. Oh ya it's not as cool :D Last thing, total invested in the motor $7,000 :)

nsxchi-town said:
this is the problem, you would be embarressed to drive it? I don't understand how one can be embarressed by what he or she drives. talk about how kids are rised these days how are the so called "adults" acting these days? :rolleyes:

Saab came out with there new wagon which is the same car as a wrx wagon.
I would think they look the same. almost the same...

I for one think they are great cars, I had a wagon then got a STI, for what u get for the money its a great car. thats why you see lots of them on the road.

You should try out a dodge srt-4 theyre pretty fun for the money.

That's next, right now we are doing a turbo Rx-8 and also have a 20B that we are going to work with, he did just get a SRT-4 last week, have to give it a few miles 1st :)

vtecNSX1 said:
You should try out a dodge srt-4 theyre pretty fun for the money.

Back