• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What Exhaust....

Did some researching and still not 100% sure.......

For now I'm thinking Comptech but would like to run it by you guys before I settle.

My preferences:

1. No droning at all

2. Noise level not too loud but louder than stock.

3. I have the rear ground effects or Spads? on the bumper so it would need to fit this.

4. Has to fit on the 97 NSX

Is the comptech the right exhaust?

Here ya go!

1. For an exhaust I could not see myself paying anything over $2k.

2. Wouldn't want custom but JDM/USDM or even KDM? lol is ok.

3. No preference but twin tips do concern me do to the rear aftermarket pieces/spads.

4. Preferably soon in the next few weeks :) but I can wait.

Questions
#1 Budget
#2 Open to custom or JDM? Preference?
#3 single tips, or twin tips?
#4 When do you need it by?

I have a comptech installed on my 1991, its an exhaust that doesn't get much respect from the heavily modified crowd, as it is known as being rather quiet, but I am pleased with the sound, around town its similar to stock, but under heavy load, it has a very nice deep sound to it - this may be in part because I am running mine with test pipes.

Other options, depending on your exact needs, are the RSR exhaust, or Tubi exhaust, for a higher pitch.

Thanks! I intend to keep the stock cat.

I have a comptech installed on my 1991, its an exhaust that doesn't get much respect from the heavily modified crowd, as it is known as being rather quiet, but I am pleased with the sound, around town its similar to stock, but under heavy load, it has a very nice deep sound to it - this may be in part because I am running mine with test pipes.

Other options, depending on your exact needs, are the RSR exhaust, or Tubi exhaust, for a higher pitch.

Comptech is a nice exhaust. That was my second exhaust I had and had no complaints. My current though, if you are not limited to a budget is the ARC titanium, weighing in at only 12 pounds. The sound is great, no droaning.

2 grand is a pretty hefty budget for a "quiet" exhaust. You can pick up a used comtec for 6/700 bucks used. 2 grand gets you closer to the exotic exhaust range.

This is a useful post as i am looking for something similar. I want as close to stock sound as possible but with more hp and weight reduction would also be a bonus. Everyone says the comptech sounds the closest to stock but those tips that they put on them look real "boy racer" to me. The ark dt-x sounds good too but again, im not crazy about the quad tips either.

I would love to hear one of the titanium exhausts. To me they look the best and have the cleanest looking tips and the weight it also great but ..... how do they sound? If the sound is on par with the dt-x or comptech then i am sold. If it sounds like the flowmasters and other screamers ive heard then the search continues.

I have heard good things about the rsr but have not seen one before or seen one for sale?

I have Comp-Tech, Jet Hot coated headers with cats and a Comp-Tech exhaust in a 92'. It sounds just a little louder, not much, than stock. I also have a Dali cold air intake pipe in my left wheel well and a K&N oem replacement filter and when I get on it you can clearly hear the intake over the exhaust. Sounds great. I didn't want mine loud at all.
I feel, why tell the cops your coming before you get there.

Cheers
nigel

Mine's not exotic, but it looks and sounds good. It's the ARK-DTX exhaust. Very quiet at low RPM's until you step on it to pass. It's quiet enough for street driving, so the cops don't pull you over. It has a deep sound. I got mine brand new for $850.00, but there's a sale going on for $1050.00 shipped at ARK right now. The more expensive exhaust will cost you in excess $2000.00, and it's mainly sound is the difference and not so much performance. Well, maybe 5-10lbs lighter. Save yourself the other 1k and spend it on some performance parts. (Struts/Springs, intake, sway bars, brakes etc..)

Here are some sound clips from SOS, but it actually sounds much better in person. Also look at the prices at SOS.
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/ARK/DT-X/
Not too many have this exhaust. Here are some pics out of the box.:

you might want to try Tubi exhaust. There is a used one for sale in the classified section for under 2k.
dam it is already sold http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101711&highlight=tubi

Did some researching and still not 100% sure.......

For now I'm thinking Comptech but would like to run it by you guys before I settle.

My preferences:

1. No droning at all

2. Noise level not too loud but louder than stock.

3. I have the rear ground effects or Spads? on the bumper so it would need to fit this.

4. Has to fit on the 97 NSX

Is the comptech the right exhaust?

RS*R Quad Tip. looks CLOSE to stock, a bit louder than stock, and great power.

took me awhile to find mine...but hella worth it!

I also have the ARK, but mine is the DTS with dual tips, not quad. Here are two clips of my brother driving the car. I love the sound. It's not nearly as loud as some of the ones out there, but it's definitely louder than the Comptech. "loud" isn't what I wanted when I made my choice. I wanted something that was deep, not raspy and obnoxious. Afterall, these are NSXs, not Nissan Sentras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32WT0pxPGDY

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzIh-zBUZAE

I currently have the ARK-DTS dual tip exhaust with test pipes. To me, an exhaust upgrade is purely for sound (weight saving and hp are only bonuses). Hence, the ARK exhaust was too quiet for me (a bit louder than stock) so I had test pipes installed. On the track, I run hi-flow cats because of sound restrictions. BTW, I had a $3K titantium exhaust on my E46 M3 once, but the high pitch rasp and droning eventually got the me.

I recently purchased/installed Gruppe-M's version 2.:eek: It's sooooooooooooooooooo sexy sounding. It's very comparable soundwise to the 5.1.

He said "no droning."

I used to have RM/B&B exhaust on my car. A great/fun exhaust initially...but the drone really got to me. Still have the RM/B&B headers on.

And I had a RM also...the new B&B has a different note to it and not that loud.

thanks guys! High pitch would be great or even rumble. Not to picky, either would be fine as long as it has no droning or too loud.

I was reading up on the ARC DTS dual but I've read from some that it is loud? and has droning. Does the exhaust have any drone at all?

Also I would think about the DTX but again I have the Rear ground effects/spads so not sure if the quad tips would work or damage the paint.

I've seen lots of comptech for sale but all for 91's. They would need the adapters to fit on 97+ which I wouldn't want to deal with.

Does the DTS have any type of drone at all?

So in order I'm thinking for nothing to extremely loud..........

Comptech - Can't find any 97+ for sale on the boards
RSR or HKS - If I can find a used one anytime soon for a 97
ARC DTS - pending on drones
Taitec GT Lightweight - maybe to loud?
Cantrell Endura Light - maybe to loud?
Tubi?? - Does it fit a 97+ and if I can find any for sale

Am I missing any others?

Last edited:
Does the DTS have any type of drone at all?

So in order I'm thinking..........

Comptech - Can't find any 97+ for sale on the boards
RSR or HKS - If I can find a used one anytime soon for a 97
ARC DTS - pending on drones
Taitec GT Lightweight - maybe to loud?
Cantrell Endura Light - maybe to loud?
Tubi?? - Does it fit a 97+ and if I can find any for sale

Am I missing any others?

Not sure what you guys mean by droning? Anyway, my ARK-DTX has a nice sound to it and deep. Not high pitched. I can still listen to my radio and have a converstion in my car comfortably. When I sit at a stop light, it's pretty quiet until you give it some gas.

Back