• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What have you gotten a killer deal on lately?

I got a new Retina MacBook Pro for $1750 versus the $2200 retail price. The discount came courtesy of Apple because I've got books in their iBookstore.

Regular Apple customers know you usually pay list price for their gear, especially the new stuff, so getting a 20% break was a pretty big deal. Even more unusual, Apple has been depositing money in my checking account every month, royalties from the book sales. It's not much, to be sure, but still this is not the direction money usually travels between Apple and me. :) It's a nice switch.

Anyone use Groupon.com? They typically have some pretty decent deals on a variety of things. Every so often they will run a deal on something automotive (oil changes, car washes/detail, wheel repair, window tinting, etc) that I get excited about :tongue:

There has been a utv, side by side, with dump box sitting in front of home depot for a few months now with a 7,588.00 price tag on it. I have been looking for one to drive down to the lake and bring all my crap along with me, chairs, cooler, etc. also nice if I forget something at the house because walking up the hill sucks. Anyways I said to the manager at home depot that he would probably never sell the thing unless he dropped the price and that to me it wasn't worth more than 3,000.00. I couldn't believe it when he said, SOLD! Got eighteen months no interest payments too.

It's got a Subaru 700cc v-twin motor and IMO its pretty fast for a utv. It's also 4x4 too.

So now I'm am modding it and gonna have it wrapped, not feeling the army green color.

Congrats Steve!
Sounds like a hell of a deal, and something you needed as well.

Anyone use Groupon.com? They typically have some pretty decent deals on a variety of things. Every so often they will run a deal on something automotive (oil changes, car washes/detail, wheel repair, window tinting, etc) that I get excited about :tongue:

I got a $79 trackday out of a groupon at the local track (which is normally 3x as much for 1 day). I know friends that have done vacation packages with them and raved about it.

78 boxes of hardwood floor (real wood) on closeout delivered to my house in Vancouver WA from Atlanta Georgia for $1800. They trucked it across country, and delivered it to me in a semi; not sure how they didn't lose money on the deal...

Couldn't be happier.

IMG_20120530_142335.jpg

Last edited:
my latest trip to Maui...

we have one week a year through Diamond Resorts, BUT if you can book it 59 days or less from your stay you only have to use half your points..Two weeks for price of one!!! Works every time:biggrin:

Airline tickets were $650 pp from San Diego nonstop to Maui thru Alaska were the cheapest I could find.. X 4(wife and kids) would have been @ $2800
BUT, if you signed up and get approved for Alaska Airlines credit card you get a voucher for a $99 "companion fare" plus 25000 bonus miles..So my wife and I both signed up for one and ended up taking one kid each for $99!!! Saved over $1000 dollars!!! and we get a companion fare every year...nice.

Rental cars were ridiculous for the summer rates and started out at @ $28 a day for compact and was $512 otd for two weeks was the cheapest I could find on line.. BUT I booked thru Costco Travel where you can cancel any time at no charge ...I canceled and rebooked aout 4 times before finally getting all the way down to $276 otd about a week before we arrived!!! saweet!!!!

needless to say, the entire trip ended up being half the price of what it should have been...It pays to bargain hunt!!:wink:

the view off our balcony:smile:

maui2012098.jpg

maui2012097.jpg

maui2012096.jpg

maui2012099.jpg

78 boxes of hardwood floor (real wood) on closeout delivered to my house in Vancouver WA from Atlanta Georgia for $1800. They trucked it across country, and delivered it to me in a semi; not sure how they didn't lose money on the deal...

Couldn't be happier.

View attachment 89234

Damn for that much it should have included installation!

:biggrin:

Just picked up a stock E39 M5 clutch from Parts Geek for $175 shipped. That's about half the price of the next-cheapest places and $75 cheaper than my Integra clutch was a decade ago!

You guys just reminded me about a trip I did to Hawaii for Valentine's Day 2006 when my wife was pregnant with my 2nd. We had always wanted to go and knew while we couldn't afford it at the time, we definitely would not be able to after my 2nd was born. My first was still young enough to fly for free.

I went to Wendy's every day around 11:30 before the lunch rush and got a cheap lunch. I'd ask for a drink refill and a 2nd cup. I'd stay there until around 12:30 and it got to the point where the regular customers knew what I was doing and would give me their cups as they finished lunch.

I was able to get 8 round trip tickets anywhere in the US that Airtran flew (which unfortunately was not to Hawaii). However, it got my wife and I to SFO and Slickdeals had an offer of SFO to HNL with a week at a budget but decent hotel for $600ish (I had to attend a timeshare pitch but also got a free ipod which I sold on eBay to subsidize the trip - http://archive.slickdeals.net/f/181...waii-LAX-SFO-to-HNL-299-tax-free-ipod-shuffle ). I was able to score a rental via priceline for $15/day, an SUV in Hawaii and I forget what I got in SFO. We also stayed in SFO overnight on the way out and for a few days on the way back. My whole vacation from Boston to Hawaii with my wife and 14 month old, with flight, hotels and rental cars in SFO and HNL was around $1000 (and probably 10 lbs due to Wendy's for lunch every day for 2 months :)).

1344040285-clip-130kb.jpg

Last edited:
wow!!! how the f did you get 8 round trip tickets for eating at Wendy's everyday??? What a deal...I love Wendy's!!!!:tongue:

It was 64 coupons (one on each cup) for 1 round trip ticket. I collected 512 of them. They maxed out at 2 flights per person, so my wife and I took two flights and flew my parents up twice to visit us with the rest of the coupons. This deal was big news for a while, people were dumpster diving all over the US then selling the coupons on eBay for BIG BUCKS. People were making thousands and thousands of $$$$. The dumpster diving turned into a big problem for Wendy's, people were leaving trash EVERYWHERE outside the dumpsters. I just stuck to the trash cans :).

It was 64 coupons (one on each cup) for 1 round trip ticket. I collected 512 of them. They maxed out at 2 flights per person, so my wife and I took two flights and flew my parents up twice to visit us with the rest of the coupons. This deal was big news for a while, people were dumpster diving all over the US then selling the coupons on eBay for BIG BUCKS. People were making thousands and thousands of $$$$. The dumpster diving turned into a big problem for Wendy's, people were leaving trash EVERYWHERE outside the dumpsters. I just stuck to the trash cans :).

And here I thought I hit the bigtime when I peeled off a free shake cupon at Mickey dee's. :-(

There has been a utv, side by side, with dump box sitting in front of home depot for a few months now with a 7,588.00 price tag on it. I have been looking for one to drive down to the lake and bring all my crap along with me, chairs, cooler, etc. also nice if I forget something at the house because walking up the hill sucks. Anyways I said to the manager at home depot that he would probably never sell the thing unless he dropped the price and that to me it wasn't worth more than 3,000.00. I couldn't believe it when he said, SOLD! Got eighteen months no interest payments too.

It's got a Subaru 700cc v-twin motor and IMO its pretty fast for a utv. It's also 4x4 too.

So now I'm am modding it and gonna have it wrapped, not feeling the army green color.

Nice! And a real machine. It's a good thing you didn't go for that free electric car (golf type) back in 09' that we talked about. It had no power on the hills. Had a lot of fun around my neighborhood with kids and dogs though. I just donated it to a local college and they are using it to transport nuns and teachers around the campus.

Purchased an LED TV:

Panasonic VIERA TC-L42ET5 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV with 4 Pairs of Polarized 3D Glasses

$600 + free shipping/no tax on Amazon (already a bargain since it retails for over 1000, and Best Buy has it at $800 + tax)

less some Amazon credit I had, it came out to $433.

Needed some clothes for my new job and hit up a local 2nd hand men's store. Picked up a Zegna shirt for $20. They had some other deals but out of my price range (Brioni and Ralph Lauren purple label for $75). For $20 though I love how comfy this shirt is, wish they had more.

Nice! And a real machine. It's a good thing you didn't go for that free electric car (golf type) back in 09' that we talked about. It had no power on the hills. Had a lot of fun around my neighborhood with kids and dogs though. I just donated it to a local college and they are using it to transport nuns and teachers around the campus.

That means a lot to me, I'll tell you why....I've been kicking myself in the ass since I passed on that deal for the electric car. That's why I didn't buy it because I was worried it wouldn't pull the hill.

Last edited:
Back