• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

THIS.

This is the reason Android sucks. Most users don't root their devices to try and manually upgrade, so they're stuck with what's shown in the chart. Who cares how kick-ass your hardware is if you're running features and functionality from 2-3 generations ago?

The one thing that Apple has done recently that is reminiscent of this is their HW requirement to run Siri. Everyone knows it's bogus, and just a ploy to sell more 4S's.

THIS.

This is the reason Android sucks.

It's not like the phones automagically stop working when they don't get an update. If you were happy with your phone when you bought it running 2.2, not getting 2.3 shouldn't make you unhappy. It's still the same phone, and still doing all the things that made you happy.

It's exactly analogous to Windows on PCs. If you bought a PC running XP, and it's still running fine, you don't need to sweat it that Windows 7 wasn't pushed to it.

My other point is that this situation is not really Android's fault -- it's really all on the carriers. A combination of carriers loading up phones with crapware coupled with their lousy customer support and not wanting to field the avalanche of calls when an upgrade is pushed makes the carriers very slow in releasing upgrades. A plain vanilla Android phone would be much easier to update, like it is in the iOS world.

It's not like the phones automagically stop working when they don't get an update. If you were happy with your phone when you bought it running 2.2, not getting 2.3 shouldn't make you unhappy. It's still the same phone, and still doing all the things that made you happy.

It's exactly analogous to Windows on PCs. If you bought a PC running XP, and it's still running fine, you don't need to sweat it that Windows 7 wasn't pushed to it.

My other point is that this situation is not really Android's fault -- it's really all on the carriers. A combination of carriers loading up phones with crapware coupled with their lousy customer support and not wanting to field the avalanche of calls when an upgrade is pushed makes the carriers very slow in releasing upgrades. A plain vanilla Android phone would be much easier to update, like it is in the iOS world.

Agreed, it doesn't suddenly get worse than when you bought it... BUT... you not only lose out on all of the new functionality that is being implemented and enjoyed by others, you also run the risk of having security flaws not patched by the manufacturer (HTC case in point). This is particularly frustrating when you KNOW that your hardware can use the latest OS, but there's no centralized and straightforward way for the average user to upgrade.

This is a strong point in favor of getting an iOS device over an Android device.

And I disagree that this is not Android's fault -- it's entirely android's fault. Carriers and manufacturers are stupid and can be expected to make poor decisions based purely on the bottom line, not what's in the users best interests. This is what happens when you make things "open".

BTW, there's a big difference between this and your Windows analogy. An XP user has the CHOICE to upgrade if he so wishes -- the android user does not have a choice. If you're happy with XP then great. But if you want the whiz-bang features and security updates in Win7, then you have the choice to upgrade.

Last edited:
If it were the carriers fault then why doesn't Apple have the problem?

If it were the carriers fault then why doesn't Apple have the problem?

A fair point. The carriers provide little more than bandwidth for the iPhones. Apple does everything else. With Android, the carriers are much more involved, installing crap like Motoblur and the like.

Different business models. We can argue which is better, but the reality is that both are succeeding famously, at the expense of Blackberry, WinMo, Symbian, etc.

But if "frequent OS updates" is a criteria for success, then Apple wins.

A fair point. The carriers provide little more than bandwidth for the iPhones. Apple does everything else. With Android, the carriers are much more involved, installing crap like Motoblur and the like.

Different business models. We can argue which is better, but the reality is that both are succeeding famously, at the expense of Blackberry, WinMo, Symbian, etc.

But if "frequent OS updates" is a criteria for success, then Apple wins.

I don't know how much carriers are involved in MotoBlur etc. Isn't that more a decision of the manufacture of the phone?

I do know that Carriers are responsible for take a long time for updates for BlackBerry. They have to approve each release and it takes forever.

Apple updates are not carrier dependent.

I don't know how much carriers are involved in MotoBlur etc. Isn't that more a decision of the manufacture of the phone?

Yes, you're correct -- my mistake. The point's the same, however:

Android goes from Google to the manufacturers, where they add a bunch of crap, and then to the carriers, where they add a bunch more crap, then to the consumer. Pushing an OS upgrade through that is clearly more difficult than Apple's model, where Apple controls the hardware absolutely and prevents the carriers from installing crapware.

That said, I'd wager if you ask a hundred Android users if they're running Eclair, Froyo, or Gingerbread, you'll get 95 blank stares back.

It's called "bloatware".

I must admit that the latest from Android, and specifically Samsung, has underwhelmed me. I am now trying to decide between the already outdated 4s, the less-than-flagship Nexus, or wait for the iPhone 5. I really like the aftermarket support iPhoney receives due to their standardization.

Bet Apple doesn't like this...

"Samsung shipped 27.9 million smartphones last quarter, nearly 10 million units better than Apple’s performance by volume. Apple spent just one quarter as the world’s top smartphone vendor when it shipped 20.34 million iPhone handsets in the second quarter of 2011. Samsung first began selling smartphones just last year and it has already become the global leader."

We'll see how it looks when the i4s shipments are included.

Ipad 3 problems.

Apple’s manufacturing partners are running into a few speed bumps creating the new high-resolution Retina Display for the iPad 3, CNET reported recently. LG CEO Young Soo Kwon confirmed that his company, which also builds the Retina Display on the iPhone 4 and 4S, is working on the next-generation iPad 3 screens. Samsung and Sharp are also allegedly behind the development. However, CNET said that mass manufacturing a display with a 2,048 x 1,536-pixel resolution, twice the pixel density of the current iPad 2, has been a struggle. “It’s not a question of just making one,” a source said. “That, of course can be done. The challenge is making lots of them. This is a quantum leap in pixel density. This hasn’t been done before.” In August, a report surfaced that suggested Apple had delayed the iPad 3 due to display issues. CNET said the companies have 1,600 x 1,200-pixel resolution screens prepared as a back-up in case the Retina Display can’t be mass produced in time.

I hope they get it right because I want to buy and iPad 3. I just don't see how any current chip is going to run that resolution worth a crap.

"Samsung shipped 27.9 million smartphones last quarter, nearly 10 million units better than Apple’s performance by volume. Apple spent just one quarter as the world’s top smartphone vendor when it shipped 20.34 million iPhone handsets in the second quarter of 2011. Samsung first began selling smartphones just last year and it has already become the global leader."

Bet Apple's is more concerned about units sold and profit instead of units "shipped". When one reads these stories in the press it always amuses me that they don't include actual units sold and estimated profits.

Last edited:
Bet Apple's is more concerned about units shipped and profit instead of units "shipped". When one reads these stories in the press it always amuses me that they don't include actual units sold and estimated profits.

I agree -- "units shipped" is always a bogus statistic. They could ship a billion units, and it still wouldn't matter -- tell me how many they actually sold (and by "sold" I mean ended up in the hands of a consumer, not sitting in a warehouse somewhere), and how much money they made in the process.

Ipad 3 problems.

Apple’s manufacturing partners are running into a few speed bumps creating the new high-resolution Retina Display for the iPad 3, CNET reported recently. LG CEO Young Soo Kwon confirmed that his company, which also builds the Retina Display on the iPhone 4 and 4S, is working on the next-generation iPad 3 screens. Samsung and Sharp are also allegedly behind the development. However, CNET said that mass manufacturing a display with a 2,048 x 1,536-pixel resolution, twice the pixel density of the current iPad 2, has been a struggle. “It’s not a question of just making one,” a source said. “That, of course can be done. The challenge is making lots of them. This is a quantum leap in pixel density. This hasn’t been done before.” In August, a report surfaced that suggested Apple had delayed the iPad 3 due to display issues. CNET said the companies have 1,600 x 1,200-pixel resolution screens prepared as a back-up in case the Retina Display can’t be mass produced in time.

I hope they get it right because I want to buy and iPad 3. I just don't see how any current chip is going to run that resolution worth a crap.

NetViper - Since you seem to hate Apple, why do you post in this thread?

I have a 4s

Was not planning on buying one as I had a 4
For me the improved phone ( not really publicized). Was most important
Then I realized that not only was the phone better, Bluetooth was better and Siri is simply awesome. Another really helpful feature is photo stream. Now the pictures I rake on my iPhone or iPad automatically and magically transfer between both devices

Sometime the battery on my 64gb 4s phone does not seem to last as long as my iPhone 4 though. Don't know yet if this is perception or reality

Try this trick if your battery is running low. When you phone is on, quickly double click the home button. All the icons at the bottom are open programs. Hold you finger on one of them until they light up with little x's.
Then close the ones you are not currently using.

Streaming uses a lot of battery juice as does pushing your mail all the time.
You can adjust mail push so it checks for new email every 15 minutes.

How's the quality of the camera. My wife has the 4 and I have the 3s. Her camera is vastly superior.

I have a 4s

Was not planning on buying one as I had a 4
For me the improved phone ( not really publicized). Was most important
Then I realized that not only was the phone better, Bluetooth was better and Siri is simply awesome. Another really helpful feature is photo stream. Now the pictures I rake on my iPhone or iPad automatically and magically transfer between both devices

Sometime the battery on my 64gb 4s phone does not seem to last as long as my iPhone 4 though. Don't know yet if this is perception or reality

The camara is noticeably better better not as much as a jump from my 3GS to the 4

Thanks for the battery tips

Try this trick if your battery is running low. When you phone is on, quickly double click the home button. All the icons at the bottom are open programs. Hold you finger on one of them until they light up with little x's.
Then close the ones you are not currently using.

Turning off background apps is useful under Android where they are chewing up memory, CPU cycles and consequently draining your battery, but doesn't really help much under iOS.

Apps in the background do not get any CPU cycles unless they explicitly ask for it, and their memory is marked such that it can be expunged whenever the foreground app needs more memory. So it doesn't really help with battery life or hurt performance to leave them running under iOS.

I don't know if anyone's done some objective testing, but I would imagine that the battery life would be worse because both the CPU and GPU are now dual core and consume more power when fully active. iOS tries to be smart about keeping parts of the cores powered down when not active, but the overall power draw for these components is going to be higher.

Back