• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

Got me on a technicality. :biggrin:

Personally, I think a 7" ipad would do very well. I love the size of the PB.

7" iPad would be awesome for an NSX console. One cable connector simplifies an installation a lot. I would like for landscape view to be default, and have the dock connector on the "bottom" of said 7" iPad.

7" iPad would be awesome for an NSX console. One cable connector simplifies an installation a lot. I would like for landscape view to be default, and have the dock connector on the "bottom" of said 7" iPad.

Sounds like you will get your wish. I still am not sure about putting a tablet into the car like that. I think it would be cool for while, but then it would get old. Why do I really need a tablet in my NSX dash?

--- UNLESS, I could do an App to have Navigation on the top half of the screen and all my boost info on the botttom... now that would be sweet!!!!

I just want a DDIN setup and call it a day... maybe next year. :frown:

Last edited:
waiting game...

Video Mirroring, via VGA or HDMI, is enabled on the iPad2. Thus, whatever is displayed on the iPad2's homescreen (ie. apps icons, folders, games, maps/navigation, messaging, media such as music or videos or images) can be viewed on another screen (ie. HDTV, desktop/laptop, I.C.E., etc). Prior to "video-mirroring," only saved media on an Apple mobile device could be displayed on an LCD via an A/V adapter; this included music, pics, videos/movies but excluded homescreen, navigation/maps, app's, messaging, browsing, etc.

My point?

This isn't currently possible on a non-jailbroken iPhone4/4S. If "video mirroring" becomes a reality on the iPhone5, I'll be quite pleased as this was a solution I had been seeking for a very long time.

Basically, whatever I'm doing on my iPhone whether typing, scrolling, dialing, navigating, etc - it'll all display on an LCD in the vehicle. I'm holding-out hope for this, hence still keeping my Pioneer AVIC F500BT & JDM NSX nav. pod in the closet.

This preserves the OEM stock look of the center-console w/ the Bose head-unit & amps/speakers elsewhere (more-so for the purists & economical types vs. the audiophiles & mod'ers), but seamlessly adding Bluetooth, MP3/iPod integration, audio/video output, GPS/nav., track/performance metrics monitoring, AND also integrating all you do on your iPhone to be displayed on your nav. pod mounted LCD (namely F500BT). Call/text/navigate/browse w/ a hand on the steering-wheel & a hand holding the iPhone, an eye on the road & an eye on the ~7" LCD in the nav. pod.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/22/ipad-3-with-high-res-display-is-definitely-happening-analyst-says/
"Will Apple’s next iPad have a high resolution screen? At this point, we hope so. We’ve typed the rumor so many times that our fingers are getting numb from reporting on it. LG’s CEO already confirmed his company is building a Retina Display for the device, we’ve heard Samsung and Sharp are also involved, we’ve seen rumors that it will offer a dual-LED light bar and we most recently reported that LCD builders are already shipping the new screens in volume. Now, DisplaySearch analyst Richard Shim says Apple is definitely releasing a high-res iPad. “It’s happening — QXGA 2048 x 1536,” Shim told CNET. “Panel production has started. There’s three suppliers.” The big question we’re all wondering is when Apple will launch the device. Several reports suggest Apple will release a lower-priced “iPad mini” before the company launches the iPad 3 during the second quarter of 2012."

Looking forward to seeing this.

iPad claims another victim:

Dell kills off its last Android tablet in the US

Dell has taken its 7-inch Streak Android tablet out of commission, according to its website. While some retail sites still have stock, the company no longer offers the Streak for sale from its own website and will no longer produce it. The Dell Android tablet species is officially extinct in the US.

iPad claims another victim:

Dell kills off its last Android tablet in the US

Dell has taken its 7-inch Streak Android tablet out of commission, according to its website. While some retail sites still have stock, the company no longer offers the Streak for sale from its own website and will no longer produce it. The Dell Android tablet species is officially extinct in the US.

I don't think the iPad killed it. I think that it just wasn't very good and nobody new it existed.

If you wanted an android talbet, there are better options out there.

The ipad still totally dominates marketshare though.

Here's an interesting article on Android user interest sluggishness compared to iOS and Windows Phone 7.

http://www.redmondpie.com/heres-why-androids-ui-will-never-be-as-smooth-as-ios-or-windows-phone-7/

This shows why CPU specs can be misleading.

-J

I see it big time in the video. I used Alex's Galaxy S2 this weekend and that thing was lightning fast. It also has top of the line specs.

I can't say I have ever seen our iphone slow down. That said, I haven't been my playbook ever slow down either.

Here's an interesting article on Android user interest sluggishness compared to iOS and Windows Phone 7.

http://www.redmondpie.com/heres-why-androids-ui-will-never-be-as-smooth-as-ios-or-windows-phone-7/

This shows why CPU specs can be misleading.

-J

WP7 has a shitty interface. iOS is a kid's interface because it's so limited.

Android in my experience is pretty smooth. Can it slow down? Sure, but it does so much more. The relative smoothness of Android is very acceptable, and it is far more powerful. Can it improve, yes it can, and it will. But for all practical purposes Android is at least very decent and at most far better than the competing platforms due to the power it provides the end user.

Last edited:
WP7 has a shitty interface. iOS is a kid's interface because it's so limited.

My friend works for MS. He really likes WP7. He thinks it is the best UI out there. That being said, he uses and iphone because of all the apps.

Runners up were Samsung's Bada and Blackberry 7.
Whoa, we can just stop right there. :biggrin:

Smartphones (Blackberry not withstanding) are all pretty good now and continue to improve with each successive generation. That said, I'm pretty content with my iPhone 4S and I think most consumers would probably feel the same way for the following reasons:

1. Largest number of apps
2. Simple to use (with little to no tinkering required)
3. Excellent camera
4. Clean industrial design featuring high end materials (metal + glass)
5. Vast selection & availability of product accessories
6. Superior product support (continual software updates, plus access to Apple retail stores)

A lot of techies I know prefer Android, and I admit I am sometimes a little jealous of their large screens and excellent free Google Navigation software. However, for the most part the pros of the iPhone outweighs the cons for me, and so I love my 4S despite its minor flaws.

Last edited:
Android-Apple-iOS-Comparison-Chart.png

Not sure what the point of that graph is.

Official manufacturer support on Android may be limited but after-market support is amazing.

On my old Samsung Moment that's obsolete you can update the Android OS well beyond the original supported version.

On my Evo 4G I had Gingerbread on it long before HTC officially provided. I can install Honeycomb on it if I wish...I haven't because my CyanogenMod ROM is that good.

Apple on the other hand, you're pretty screwed if Apple decides not to support their devices. Take Siri for example - it's a web based service. There is NO REASON it shouldn't be available on the iPhone 4...but there you have it, you're screwed because Apple decided what was best for you.

Same thing with the keyboard. You can take the stock Apple keyboard, or you can go to Android. What a choice.

I do use and like my iPhone 4S and iPad 2 better than my old blackberry, but Android at this point is the superior choice, no question.

Not sure what the point of that graph is.

Official manufacturer support on Android may be limited but after-market support is amazing.

On my old Samsung Moment that's obsolete you can update the Android OS well beyond the original supported version.

On my Evo 4G I had Gingerbread on it long before HTC officially provided. I can install Honeycomb on it if I wish...I haven't because my CyanogenMod ROM is that good.

Apple on the other hand, you're pretty screwed if Apple decides not to support their devices. Take Siri for example - it's a web based service. There is NO REASON it shouldn't be available on the iPhone 4...but there you have it, you're screwed because Apple decided what was best for you.

Same thing with the keyboard. You can take the stock Apple keyboard, or you can go to Android. What a choice.

I do use and like my iPhone 4S and iPad 2 better than my old blackberry, but Android at this point is the superior choice, no question.

I think the point of the graph is to show that the Android manufacturers ought to give better support for their products. However, they don't do so because they would rather have you buy the newest hardware because that's what they are selling. Why should they spend millions on teams of developers to continually fix and update their software on three year old phones when you will just buy a new one? Their approach is to make the newer phones seem massively better because they have the latest versions of Android where your old phone doesn't. Modders like Cyanogen come about due to this lack of long term support.

Apple keeps everything possible up to date because they want customers to be happy with their experience. Happy customers tend to buy again, and this shows up in customer satisfaction ratings. So, within the ability of the hardware to support it, they have been keeping old phones up to date, leaving out features that don't fit in ram or whatever. They also have full control of the phone's software, unlike most all the other phones where the carrier has control. This is why the Nexus One, Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus S are special, because they are the only phones that run pure Android from the factory and get updated first. See the graph, where the Nexus One has a mostly green graph and is well supported.

So even if HTC releases ICS for their phones, then Verizon or AT&T next has to have their engineers add their bloatware, branding, and other crap. Then it goes through carrier QA and finally gets released 9 months later, right when the next version of Android is announced.

In the case of Siri, considering how slammed the Siri servers were at launch, I can't imagine how on earth they would have ever been able to handle updating 50 million iphones with Siri all at once. Siri would have been down all the time and would have made a bad impression. You can call it "screwing," but as a server engineer, I would want to ramp up gradually and work out the bugs in the system first. How do you know they won't release Siri on other phones over time?

Last edited:
Jailbreaking and CyanogenMod will only be adopted by a tiny percentage of geek tinkerers. The vast majority of Android users are just stuck.

And frankly, most of the commonplace Android phone owners who bought their phone at Wal-Mart or Best Buy probably don't even care or know about OS updates. These people bought their "smartphones" because they got a deal and thought they would try out this "smartphone" thing.

I'm feeling a little burned that my 1st gen MacBook Pro can't run Lion.
You're upset that your laptop, which reached the end of its product life cycle (and was subsequently sunset) won't run the current Mac OS? How does that compare to in-production Android phones not being able to get the latest OSes from their manufacturers? :confused:

At least you're not a Windows Mobile 6.5, Zune, or HP WebOS owner. Good luck trying to get updates for those devices.

Last edited:
Back