• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

You're upset that your laptop, which reached the end of its product life cycle (and was subsequently sunset) won't run the current Mac OS? How does that compare to in-production Android phones not being able to get the latest OSes from their manufacturers? :confused:
I don't know, I don't pay much attention to Android stuff. I don't even pay that much attention to Apple stuff aside from what I have.

Not sure what you mean by end of product cycle. It's an Intel MacBook Pro and they still make those. All Intel Macs can update to Lion except for the very first ones, which I have the misfortune of owning.

It's still quite a good computer and is as fast as my wife's iMac, which can be upgraded. There's probably some technical reason about Core 2 versus Core 2 Duo that I don't want to hear about.

I don't know, I don't pay much attention to Android stuff. I don't even pay that much attention to Apple stuff aside from what I have.

Not sure what you mean by end of product cycle. It's an Intel MacBook Pro and they still make those. All Intel Macs can update to Lion except for the very first ones, which I have the misfortune of owning.

It's still quite a good computer and is as fast as my wife's iMac, which can be upgraded. There's probably some technical reason about Core 2 versus Core 2 Duo that I don't want to hear about.

I think the biggest reason Apple dropped OS X support for the Core 2/Core Duo/Core Solo is that they're 32bit chips, and it's a 64bit world now. That said, you can probably still get Lion to work on your MacBook if you're determined enough:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/04/08/hack-mac-os-x-lion-for-core-duo-core-solo-mac/
http://roaringcore.wordpress.com/

However, it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Yeah, I think my best bet is sell the MacBook and buy a new one. I hear there's a 15" MacBook Air on the way, that might be my next laptop.

I haven't heard that the new lion is all that great. It is worth selling your laptop for?

I was thinking of selling my PC as it was starting to slow down, instead I put 12 gig of ram in it, now she is sailing!

I haven't heard that the new lion is all that great. It is worth selling your laptop for?

I was thinking of selling my PC as it was starting to slow down, instead I put 12 gig of ram in it, now she is sailing!

Upgrading to a SSD drive is another option too.

Congrats to Apple for a clean sweep with the folks at PC Magazine.

The winners of PCWorld 2011 Reliability and Satisfaction surveys are:

Desktop Reliability:
#1. Apple Macintosh

Desktop Features:
#1. Apple Macintosh

Deskptop Service and Support:
#1. Apple Macintosh

Laptop Reliability:
#1. Apple Macintosh

Laptop Features:
#1. Apple Macintosh

Laptop Service and Support:
#1. Apple Macintosh

Smartphone Reliability:
#1. Apple iPhone

Smartphone Ease of Use:
#1. Apple iPhone

Smartphone Features:
#1. Apple iPhone

Tablet Reliability:
#1. Apple iPad

Tablet Ease of Use:
#1. Apple iPad

Tablet Features:
#1. Apple iPad

Jailbreaking and CyanogenMod will only be adopted by a tiny percentage of geek tinkerers. The vast majority of Android users are just stuck.

And frankly, most of the commonplace Android phone owners who bought their phone at Wal-Mart or Best Buy probably don't even care or know about OS updates. These people bought their "smartphones" because they got a deal and thought they would try out this "smartphone" thing.

Wrong, the vast majority of Android owners I know do root / put ROMs on their phones.

The people who don't know how to do so, probably don't care. There is very little difference between Android OS versions to most people. A lot of the differences are under the hood. Even so, the main benefit of 2.2 was adding new password options along with some other visual enhancements. 2.3 adds Google video chat which requires a front camera. So this Android "fragmentation" is not really an issue because if the owner doesn't care, they are really not missing out on any major functions / features.

I have an Epic on 2.2 that now has 2.3 available. I still have not updated it to 2.3 because there really is nothing major to the OS update. Since version 2.2, you can pretty much do everything that you'd need. 2.3 / 2.4 hasn't changed a whole lot. The next version is 4.0, which will require new hardware to get the most benefits from any way.

Last edited:
Why are people bothering to argue with Jimbo? I have a mother-in-law just like him, it's impossible to convince her she's wrong and any evidence contrary to her opinion will be dismissed whether logical or opinionated. You'd have better luck arguing with a cinder block. Jimbo loves Apple and will defend them to the death. My mother in law loves the bible and god. Different topic, same approach.

I like Apple... I like Microsoft... I like Google... I like cake. They all have their place. Especially cake.

Why are people bothering to argue with Jimbo? I have a mother-in-law just like him, it's impossible to convince her she's wrong and any evidence contrary to her opinion will be dismissed whether logical or opinionated. You'd have better luck arguing with a cinder block. Jimbo loves Apple and will defend them to the death. My mother in law loves the bible and god. Different topic, same approach.

I like Apple... I like Microsoft... I like Google... I like cake. They all have their place. Especially cake.

QFT

Cake is awesome. Pie too.

Wrong, the vast majority of Android owners I know do root / put ROMs on their phones.

The people who don't know how to do so, probably don't care. There is very little difference between Android OS versions to most people. A lot of the differences are under the hood. Even so, the main benefit of 2.2 was adding new password options along with some other visual enhancements. 2.3 adds Google video chat which requires a front camera. So this Android "fragmentation" is not really an issue because if the owner doesn't care, they are really not missing out on any major functions / features.

I have an Epic on 2.2 that now has 2.3 available. I still have not updated it to 2.3 because there really is nothing major to the OS update. Since version 2.2, you can pretty much do everything that you'd need. 2.3 / 2.4 hasn't changed a whole lot. The next version is 4.0, which will require new hardware to get the most benefits from any way.

Do you honestly believe that the majority of Android users know how to, care to, or already have rooted their phone? Really?

This has nothing to do with me preferring Apple stuff, this is a straightforward question. The best I can determine the number of rooted/ROM'd Android phones is less than 10%. Probably way less.

Contrary to what Robr says, I can be convinced otherwise if you can show me some kind of proof or explanation for your belief.

-Jim

Last edited:
My company just purchased a dozen MacBook Pros with 8 GB RAM and 128 GB SSDs. They're screamin' fast.

This is what I have. And yes, it's a screamer. I got the 512GB SSD. SSDs are the way to go. I'll never buy another hard disk. 1/3rd partitioned for Windows 7 and the rest Mac OS X (Lion). I do wish, however that Apple would provide for more than 8GB of RAM. I'd really like a minimum of 16GB for the stuff I do.

-Jim

Let's ignore personal anecdotal evidence for a moment, because quite frankly it's meaningless. Looking at the facts, total cyanogen install base is just under 1M users. Total android install base is 200+M users, with 550k users activating a DAY. Given these numbers, an optimistic view would put total number of rooted android devices at < 5%. Not much different than jailbroken iOS devices.

Bottom line is that the vast majority of people use vanilla devices and are subject to the whims of the carriers and manufacturers. Whether that means lack of security updates, lack of new features, embedded bloatware etc.

Feel free to change your argument from "this is a non-issue because the majority of people update their firmware" to "this is a non-issue because the majority of people are not impacted/don't care".

If Google had made it a closed system such that manufacturers and carriers could ONLY install the plain vanilla installation, then at least some of these issues would go away. It would also allow Google to have a centralized mechanism for rolling out the latest, greatest features and security fixes to ALL users. Open is not always better.

If Google had made it a closed system such that manufacturers and carriers could ONLY install the plain vanilla installation, then at least some of these issues would go away. It would also allow Google to have a centralized mechanism for rolling out the latest, greatest features and security fixes to ALL users. Open is not always better.
It's too bad Google doesn't have the kind of influence with carriers that Apple does. Can you imagine Apple letting anyone getting away with something like this?

http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/06/verizon-couldnt-be-more-full-of-it/
http://gizmodo.com/5865701/what-does-nexus-mean-for-android-anymore

Without the rooting community's existence, few diehard fans would be singing Android's praises to the degree that they do.

Last edited:
Congrats to Apple for a clean sweep with the folks at PC Magazine.

The winners of PCWorld 2011 Reliability and Satisfaction surveys are:

Desktop Reliability:
#1. Apple Macintosh

Desktop Features:
#1. Apple Macintosh

Deskptop Service and Support:
#1. Apple Macintosh

Laptop Reliability:
#1. Apple Macintosh

Laptop Features:
#1. Apple Macintosh

Laptop Service and Support:
#1. Apple Macintosh

Smartphone Reliability:
#1. Apple iPhone

Smartphone Ease of Use:
#1. Apple iPhone

Smartphone Features:
#1. Apple iPhone

Tablet Reliability:
#1. Apple iPad

Tablet Ease of Use:
#1. Apple iPad

Tablet Features:
#1. Apple iPad
Well done Apple. Though I will never buy a Mac over a PC.
Let's ignore personal anecdotal evidence for a moment, because quite frankly it's meaningless. Looking at the facts, total cyanogen install base is just under 1M users. Total android install base is 200+M users, with 550k users activating a DAY. Given these numbers, an optimistic view would put total number of rooted android devices at < 5%. Not much different than jailbroken iOS devices.

Bottom line is that the vast majority of people use vanilla devices and are subject to the whims of the carriers and manufacturers. Whether that means lack of security updates, lack of new features, embedded bloatware etc.

Feel free to change your argument from "this is a non-issue because the majority of people update their firmware" to "this is a non-issue because the majority of people are not impacted/don't care".

Boom goes the dynamite. Well done on the logical perspective.

This is what I have. And yes, it's a screamer. I got the 512GB SSD. SSDs are the way to go. I'll never buy another hard disk. 1/3rd partitioned for Windows 7 and the rest Mac OS X (Lion). I do wish, however that Apple would provide for more than 8GB of RAM. I'd really like a minimum of 16GB for the stuff I do.

-Jim

I was looking at SSD, but a friend of mine who researches the hell out of all PC stuff said their failure rate is much higher than a standard HD.

Anyone have any experience with that?

Additionally, If I have windows and photshop on the SSD, but the files I am working on are on the old drive, do I still get all the benefits or does everything need to be on the SSD?

Last edited:
I was looking at SSD, but a friend of mine who researches the hell out of all PC stuff said their failure rate is much higher than a standard HD.

Anyone have any experience with that?

Additionally, If I have windows and photshop on the SSD, but the files I am working on are on the old drive, do I still get all the benefits or does everything need to be on the SSD?

It depends. My CAD data files are huge and don't fit into RAM. Therefore, when the application needs to read/write/save, etc it needs to do that via the hard disk. Big data files? Then a SSD makes sense.

I would try to get more industry specs and stats on SSD failure rates. I don't believe that the failure rates are higher than conventional drives. Certainly isn't true when it comes to mechanical shock which tends to be more of an issue with laptops.

-Jim

Last edited:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4604/...rsair-patriot-ocz-owc-memoright-ssds-compared

It's a depressing time to be covering the consumer SSD market. Although performance is higher than it has ever been, we're still seeing far too many compatibility and reliability issues from all of the major players.

Unless you have a lot of money, do frequent backups, and speed is extremely important to you, I'd skip SSDs for now. I have one in my MacBook Air and the machine is certainly speedy, but I use it mostly to consume content so the storage isn't that important.

Obviously, keep current backups. This is true for SSDs or traditional platter drives -- if the drive fails and you don't have a backup, you're hosed no matter what the tech.

While not really relevant for laptops, a lot of people are putting two drives in desktop computers -- a smallish superfast SSD for boot, apps, temp files, etc.; and a multiterabyte traditional drive for data storage. If the SSD dies, no biggee -- just reinstall the OS. Data is safe.

-Jim

It's not really Apple determining the max memory, but rather Intel's max memory supported by their chipsets. So for my Core i7 MacBook Pro 2.66:

http://ark.intel.com/products/43560

Memory Specifications
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 8 GB
Memory Types DDR3-800/1066
# of Memory Channels 2
Max Memory Bandwidth 17.1 GB/s
Physical Address Extensions 36-bit

I agree backups are important, but from what I've read SSDs are more likely to fail suddenly without warning, whereas traditional hard drives may die slowly over time and the data can be recovered using tools like SpinRite before the drive is completely dead.

Back