• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

Re: Google Says Some Apple Inventions Are So Great They Ought to Be Shared

Wow. If you can't kill them with innovation, kill them in the courts. And they say Phandroids are haters...

Same can be said for Google's stance on Apple's popular patents. Can't innovate, time to steal. If WP7 was similar to iOS & Android, then maybe you could make that argument, but its completely different. Why couldn't Google do the same for Android?

Same can be said for Google's stance on Apple's popular patents. Can't innovate, time to steal.

I'll agree with you on that. Both Apple and Google innovate when they can, and steal when they like.

What enables this is our absurd patent laws, and our sluggish court system. Seems like these days anybody can be granted a patent for the most ridiculous things. And then why not steal it? A well funded company (like Google or Apple) can drag out the courts long enough until the stolen technology has become obsolete.

Honestly, I'd rather the lot of them not worry so much about who lifted what bit from whom, and focus on making killer products.

Honestly, I'd rather the lot of them not worry so much about who lifted what bit from whom, and focus on making killer products.
Hell has frozen over! We agree on something. :biggrin:

http://www.bgr.com/2012/07/24/apple-q3-2012-earnings-iphone-sales-profit/

Apple post huge Q2 miss; EPS climbs to $9.32 on $35 billion in revenue.

Apple (AAPL) on Tuesday reported financial results for the third fiscal quarter of 2012. As always, analysts were expecting another monster quarter from the Cupertino, California-based consumer electronics giant, though questionable demand for Apple’s flagship product, the iPhone, led to some jitters on Wall Street ahead of Apple’s report for the June quarter. The numbers are now in, and Apple posted a profit of $9.32 per share on revenue of $35 billion, missing the Street’s expectations of $10.36 per share on $37.1 billion in sales. Apple posted a profit of $7.79 per share in the third fiscal quarter of 2011 and $12.30 per share in the second fiscal quarter this year.

Wall Street expected Apple to ship 29 million iPhones during the June quarter — the figure investors were most anxious about — and actual iPhone shipments came in at just 26 million units. Apple shipped 20.34 million iPhones in the June quarter last year and 35.1 million iPhones in the second fiscal quarter of 2012.

IPad channel sales totaled a record 17 million compared to Street’s consensus of 16 million units, and iPod family shipments slid in at 6.8 million units compared to analysts’ 5.9 million-unit consensus. Mac channel sales were expected to total 4.1 million units, and Apple reported shipping 4 million Mac computers in the third fiscal quarter.

Apple CEO Tim Cook noted that the company’s new version of the OS X operating system, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, will be available in the Mac App Store beginning Wednesday for $19.

Shares of Apple stock fell by more than 5% in early after-hours trading on the news

The key questions while Apple's sales did not meet the Wall Street projection (even though they met their own), how are their competitions doing?

It everyone is down, Apple is not in a bad position.

Keep in mind that Apple also announced iPhone 5 will be released during early Fall, same with iPad. People are holding off for the new one. I know I am.

Nobody hits a home run every time up.

In other news, I got a great deal on a Retina MacBook Pro a couple weeks ago and this is one sweet laptop. Light, cool, fast, and a screen to die for. It replaces my 1st gen MacBook Pro circa 2006 and very much imparts the same sense of "ohhhhhh" when I open it. Very nicely done, Apple.

Nobody hits a home run every time up.

In other news, I got a great deal on a Retina MacBook Pro a couple weeks ago and this is one sweet laptop. Light, cool, fast, and a screen to die for. It replaces my 1st gen MacBook Pro circa 2006 and very much imparts the same sense of "ohhhhhh" when I open it. Very nicely done, Apple.

I liked it until I tried using photoshop on it. It is still a very nice laptop. The screen looks great but it's not near big of a jump from ipad2 to 3 in terms of the screen.

I was excited to see Wordpress 3.5 will have native support for retina displays.

Last edited:
The key questions while Apple's sales did not meet the Wall Street projection (even though they met their own), how are their competitions doing?

It everyone is down, Apple is not in a bad position.

Keep in mind that Apple also announced iPhone 5 will be released during early Fall, same with iPad. People are holding off for the new one. I know I am.

MSFT recently posted their first loss, ever. Competition is fierce and the recession is not going away any time soon unfortunately.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444330904577537262279070778.html

Not going to post all the he said/she said stuff from the Apple v Samsung trial but this is a great perspective on why Apple feels the way it does regarding Samsung.

http://peanutbuttereggdirt.com/e/20...to-apples-ip-claims-hardware-icons-packaging/

Hilarious, I just posted this infographic in the other Samsung/Apple thread. I'll post the actual images as people tend to not click on links :)

7730699980_5f6a86705d_o.jpg

7730700214_1d3d50713d_o.jpg

7730700368_1c967836c2_o.jpg

Blatant copying IMO.

More damning evidence:

http://allthingsd.com/20120806/iphone-caused-crisis-of-design-at-samsung-memo/

At the end of Monday in week two of the Apple versus Samsung case, a damning internal Samsung email was admitted into evidence — an email containing charged language from JK Shin, Samsung’s head of mobile communications. In the email, Shin described the difference in user experience between Samsung and Apple smartphones as “a difference between Heaven and Earth.”
It’s a memo that Samsung didn’t want admitted into the trial, and until now had kept it out. But this morning, when Samsung legal counsel John Quinn mentioned the “crisis of design” moment in a question to Samsung strategist Justin Denison, all bets were off, and the memo was in.
“Influential figures outside the company come across the iPhone, and they point out that ‘Samsung is dozing off.’ All this time we’ve been paying all our attention to Nokia, and concentrated our efforts on things like Folder, Bar, Slide,” Shin wrote. “Yet when our UX is compared to the unexpected competitor Apple’s iPhone, the difference is truly that of Heaven and Earth. It’s a crisis of design.”
Those are the more ugly points of the memo, which seems to bolster Apple’s lawsuit stating that Samsung infringed upon a number of Apple’s patents. Apple asserts that Samsung has “slavishly copied” Apple’s iPad and iPhone devices, and is seeking $2.5 billion in damages. So any more ammunition that Apple can get to make it look like Samsung attempted to actively rip off Apple’s products is only a good thing for Apple’s case.
And the memo is rife with ammunition. Here’s Shin again, on what Samsung could do to catch up from behind:
“I hear things like this: Let’s make something like the iPhone.”
And again:
“When everybody (both consumers and the industry) talk about UX, they weigh it against the iPhone. The iPhone has become the standard. That’s how things are already.”
And yet again:
“Do you know how difficult the Omnia is to use? When you compare the 2007 version of the iPhone with our current Omnia, can you honestly say the Omnia is better? If you compare the UX with the iPhone, it’s a difference between Heaven and Earth.”
It’s not pretty. Samsung declined my request for comment.
Check out the rest of the very long memo, reproduced in full.

Samsung slammed by judge after accusing Apple of tampering with evidence

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/7/3225714/samsung-accuses-apple-tampering-with-evidence

Things at Apple v. Samsung kicked off with a bang this morning, as Samsung accused Apple of tampering with the icon layout of one of its phones to look more like the iPhone. At issue is a photograph of the Epic Touch 4G that Apple presented which shows an icon layout that closely mirrors that of the iPhone. Samsung objected, saying that it noticed yesterday that the phone doesn't represent the state of the Epic 4G Touch out of the box. Samsung presented its own photo — which its attorneys said had been taken last night — which featured a different layout with a larger number of homescreens.

Judge Koh, whose temper has been growing increasingly short with both parties, took Samsung's legal team to task, actually questioning whether Samsung's photo was legitimate. She pointed out the Samsung's image didn't feature the Google search widget — something the company's attorneys said was present on the device out of the box. "Why does your homescreen not show the Google search box when you're telling me the phone has the Google search box," she asked, eventually demanding to just see the device in question herself. She then pointed out that Samsung's image featured yesterday's date — clearly indicating that the photo had not been taken on Sunday as alleged. Samsung's attorney eventually admitted he misspoke about the date.

As for Apple, attorney Michael Jacobs stated that the company's team hadn't touched the icon layout or tampered with the phones whatsoever. "There has been no manipulation... we've been rigorous about that." When asked if Apple had manipulated the icon layout of the Epic 4G Touch, Jacobs responded with a simple "no."

Koh overruled Samsung's objection, stating that "I find it not credible that Apple tampered with these phones." Moving forward, both parties will have to agree together in advance on any images used for joint exhibits, with Judge Koh warning "I'm not going to have this happen again."

Tampering with evidence...How low can Samsung go?

Hahaha, judge accuses Apple lawyer of 'smoking crack' :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...edeb60-e716-11e1-8f62-58260e3940a0_story.html

As CNET reported, Koh’s outburst ran as follows: “I mean, come on. Seventy-five pages! Seventy-five pages! You want me to do an order on 75 pages, (and) unless you're smoking crack, you know these witnesses aren’t going to be called when you have less than four hours.”

In response, Lee said he was not, in fact, smoking crack.

Jury awards Apple more $1 billion, finds Samsung infringed patents

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57500159-37/jury-awards-apple-more-$1-billion-finds-samsung-infringed-patents/

Scam-sung got what it deserved.

So why doesn't apple sue google next since pretty much all android phones look the same.

FYI, prime is seriously screwed up now on iOS.

Re: Jury awards Apple more $1 billion, finds Samsung infringed patents

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57500159-37/jury-awards-apple-more-$1-billion-finds-samsung-infringed-patents/

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ur2dZ_VMqog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So why doesn't apple sue google next since pretty much all android phones look the same.

FYI, prime is seriously screwed up now on iOS.

Working pretty solid on Android on my S3. It ran flawless on my iPhone 4 which I had up until June of this year... Did you run all the iOS updates and software specific updates? I ran two in July for Tapatalk on my S3. Having had both phones I can definitely see the appeal of the Android based phones but they seem to lack the overall "polish" of the iOS even though they have surpassed the iOS in functionality and customizability. There is a very good chance though that I will be buying the iPhone 5 when it comes out provided they support LTE. My S3 will be listed for around $350.00 at that time;)

Apple asked for $2.7B, the jury gave them just over $1B.

I'm guessing the execs at Samsung are dancing right now -- they just saved $1.7B :biggrin:

Apple stock up $12 after market. As a longtime AAPL shareholder, this pleases me.

Apple asked for $2.7B, the jury gave them just over $1B.

I'm guessing the execs at Samsung are dancing right now -- they just saved $1.7B :biggrin:

Not so fast, the judge can still award triple damages if he finds the infringement was willful. Based on what's been written about the case, such a finding and a $3 billion final judgment is a serious possibility.

Found this on FB, I wonder if it is just another urban legend.

World's Fact

SAMSUNG PAYS APPLE $1 BILLION SENDING 30 TRUCKS FULL OF 5 CENTS COINS

This morning more than 30 trucks filled up with coins of 5 cents arrived at Apple’s headquarters in California. Initially, the security company that protects the facility said it was diverted to the wrong place, but minutes later, Tim Cook (Apple CEO) received a call from Samsung CEO explaining that they will pay $1 billion dollars for the fine recently ruled against the South Korean company in this way.

the funny part is that the signed document does not specify a single payment method, so Samsung is entitled to send him to the creators of the iPhone its billion dollars as they deem best.

This dirty but genius geek troll play is a new headache to Apple executives in the sense of the method that they need to apply for counting all that money, check if it is complete and try to deposit it crossing fingers to hope a bank will accept to receive that.

Lee Kun-hee, Chairman of Samsung Electronics, told the media that his company is not going to be intimidated by a group of “geeks with style” and that if they want to play dirty, they also know how to do it.

You can use your coins to buy refreshments at the little machine for life or melt the coins to make computers, that’s not my problem, I already paid them and fulfilled the law.

A total of 20 billion coins, deliver hope to finish this week.

Let’s see how Apple will respond to this

Found this on FB, I wonder if it is just another urban legend.

World's Fact

SAMSUNG PAYS APPLE $1 BILLION SENDING 30 TRUCKS FULL OF 5 CENTS COINS

This morning more than 30 trucks filled up with coins of 5 cents arrived at Apple’s headquarters in California. Initially, the security company that protects the facility said it was diverted to the wrong place, but minutes later, Tim Cook (Apple CEO) received a call from Samsung CEO explaining that they will pay $1 billion dollars for the fine recently ruled against the South Korean company in this way.

the funny part is that the signed document does not specify a single payment method, so Samsung is entitled to send him to the creators of the iPhone its billion dollars as they deem best.

This dirty but genius geek troll play is a new headache to Apple executives in the sense of the method that they need to apply for counting all that money, check if it is complete and try to deposit it crossing fingers to hope a bank will accept to receive that.

Lee Kun-hee, Chairman of Samsung Electronics, told the media that his company is not going to be intimidated by a group of “geeks with style” and that if they want to play dirty, they also know how to do it.

You can use your coins to buy refreshments at the little machine for life or melt the coins to make computers, that’s not my problem, I already paid them and fulfilled the law.

A total of 20 billion coins, deliver hope to finish this week.

Let’s see how Apple will respond to this

I call shenanigans.

Back