• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

No problems with iOS 7 and youtube for me, and I'm actually still on the Golden Master.

Reset all your settings if you are having issues with iOS 7 (laggy keyboard, certain items won't load, slow response times in genera, etc.). Mine improved 100% after doing this.

One thing I don't like anymore is the folders. They are too small. Why can't they be 2x or 3x the size so I don't have to slide to try and find the app I am looking for. Is this adjustable?

Since nobody posted today, looks like nobody was overly impressed.

I don't think apple understands the tablet market anymore. $400 for an ipad mini retina?? $100 again for 16 gig ram when google does it for $20. Not very impressed.

That said, I do like the new iPad Air. The name is stupid, but I like the lower weight and faster speed. I think I will sell my iPad 3 for that one.

The big news....

iWork. Free. Seamless office experience across Windows, Mac, iOS.

Mac OS X Mavericks. Free. Windows 8/Ballmer/MSFT = Bag O' Hurt.

Premium products, premium profit margins.

iPad Air? To me that means an iPad Pro is on the way.

iPad usage 81%. iPad wannabes 19%. - It's clear that when it comes to web traffic, ad clicks, buy-thrus, iPad is far in the lead.

Mac Pro? - Wish it was shipping sooner, but that is one killer machine. Amazing performance. Can't wait to run SolidWorks on it.

Last edited:

I've been an enthusiastic apple fan since 2005 but ios7 on my iPhone 4 really did a number on my enthusiasm. This was the first apple event that I didn't read up on during or after work. Ios7 is full of horrendous design decisions and has rendered my once perfectly fine iPhone 4 to feel like it's operating 1/10th as fast as it did before "upgrading" the iOS. And now with worse battery life too. Anyone else have any strong + or - opinions of ios7? I keep reading how proud apple is of the % adoption of ios7 after 4 weeks. If they permitted returning back to ios6 I bet they'd see vastly different adoption numbers.

I don't think apple understands the tablet market anymore. $400 for an ipad mini retina?? $100 again for 16 gig ram when google does it for $20. Not very impressed.

That said, I do like the new iPad Air. The name is stupid, but I like the lower weight and faster speed. I think I will sell my iPad 3 for that one.

I was impressed, I am just tired from my birthday weekend in Vegas, had class today so I missed the keynote. Watched it when I got home from school, then passed out. I have been waiting for the new MacBook Pro/Mac Pro to get released. I'm still in film school, so I'll hold off on the Mac Pro for now, and get the new 15" rMBP. I was waiting for the regular MBP with Haswell, but it looks like it has been axed. I'll have a look at the refurbished models and see if I can find a "classic" for a good price. I was planning on removing the optical drive just like on my 13" and get a data doubler and transplant my SSD drive.

The iPad Air looks nice with the smaller bezel. I don't really have a need for an iPad, so if I do end up getting one, it will be the iPad mini, maybe even non-retina.

The Mac Pro, :drool:

On the software side, it's nice that OS X 10.9 Mavericks will be a FREE upgrade for all! So will iLife (iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand) for both iOS and OSX. I believe iWork is FREE as well, which I prefer to Office, especially Keynote.

So overall, good stuff all around. :D

This new Safari in Mavericks--wow. This UI is like 60 frames per second in scrolling--even very heavy sites like theverge.com. It was already really good but now it's just about perfect. The JavaScript benchmarks slightly faster than Chrome, as promised.

This new Safari in Mavericks--wow. This UI is like 60 frames per second in scrolling--even very heavy sites like theverge.com. It was already really good but now it's just about perfect. The JavaScript benchmarks slightly faster than Chrome, as promised.

I know there's very little to no difference between the GM and the public release, but I'm gonna download the public release and install it on my MBP just in case there's any difference.

The big news....

iPad usage 81%. iPad wannabes 19%. - It's clear that when it comes to web traffic, ad clicks, buy-thrus, iPad is far in the lead.

Mac Pro? - Wish it was shipping sooner, but that is one killer machine. Amazing performance. Can't wait to run SolidWorks on it.
What would an iPad pro bring?

I'm not sure. One might guess a slightly larger screen. More memory in both storage and for iOS. Hotter graphics support. There are many high-end apps (i.e. CAD, video) that cry out for as much performance as possible.

The big news....

http://microsoft-news.com/frank-sha...-heads-out-of-apple-reality-distortion-field/

Yes, the VP of Communications for Microsoft is definitely the authority we need to listen to regarding whether we should or should not consider Apple's products.

The Surface Pro, to me, is too close to a laptop for me to want one instead of a laptop. When you attach the keyboard cover, you have this floppy object that you can't easily use on your lap, or lift with one hand by the keyboard side. A laptop, when open, forms a rigid body that invites easy handling while still providing a keyboard.

Also, the latest Office apps are pretty horrible. They have grown so complex and intricate, I dread using them. Especially that ribbon toolbar thing that hides extended commands behind that super tiny menu button 3x3 pixels square. What were they thinking! Give me back Word 5.1.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was pretty embarrassing for Microsoft to release this desperate sounding sour grapes missive.

What a great time to be alive if you like cars & gadgets, wow. I'll freely admit that I know I can't be the first here who thinks this but Apple reminds me so much of Porsche lately, it's uncanny.

- upscale manufacturers offering upscale products like iPads & Caymans at inflated but not completely out of reach prices
- hated & loved by many
- throttle their hardware which could do so much more so as to not cannibalize their laptop/911 sales
- but willing (and able) to farm the cash cows: will exclude numerous items from the base package and then sell them at upcharged prices ($60 felt cases? $29 input adapters? $1000++ paint options?)
- have historically stuck with what works; most ipads, OS updates, & 911's are virtually indistinguishable at first glance
- but are still not free of arrogance: will occasionally change just for sake of change & offer something the customer isn't expecting or requesting. will tell the customer what he should want (iOS7, flappy paddle PDK) with no option to resort back to iOS6 and/or purchase manual trans (at least Cayman still offers manual option).
- Some competing and/or copycat offerings (MSoft Surface/GTR) can do a hell of a lot more than the iPad/Cayman/911's at less cost, but to Apple's/Porsche's benefit: sometimes it's not all about numbers.
- will always have enough fans with deep pockets who will ignore competing offerings and instead buy each new iteration of ipad/MacbookPro/Cayman/911 for such lightweight tasks like email, Fruit Ninja/Angry Birds, driving to the dental practice or the country club rarely any faster than 65 mph…</SPAN>

Since the new iPad is claimed to be 72x faster or more powerful than the gen1 iPad that I'm still using, I would definitely upgrade if they just offered a proper keyboard, a mouse type option, and better/true multi-tasking. I’d easily be able to do 85% of what I need from a computer on an ipad, and w/o having to spend 2-4x as much on a Macbook Air or Pro. Too bad!

</SPAN>

Last edited:
So 7.0.3 lets you turn off the swooping animations. I hate them because they are not smooth at all. They make my iPad feel slow and dated, while ios6 made it feel very snappy. Anyway, I turned them off, now the os feels really boring. Is wish they could bring back the ios6 option.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that was pretty embarrassing for Microsoft to release this desperate sounding sour grapes missive.

Actually, I agreed with a lot of what he said. 8.1 was free. It came before mavericks. You can't argue with that. Office is free on the surface. You can't argue with that. So Apple saying they are first to do all this and changing the industry is nothing more than typical apple bs.

I think the surface is a much better work tool. The iPad is still a toy for me - which is why I am buying another laptop since mine died.

Haswell has addressed my biggest complaint about the surface pro - battery life. That said, I still think it is too expensive when I can buy a yoga 2 for the same price and get a larger hd, screen and better battery life.

Last edited:
I know there's very little to no difference between the GM and the public release, but I'm gonna download the public release and install it on my MBP just in case there's any difference.

I would hold off on Mavericks for now. There is a scrolling bug (which Apple even put in the release notes back in the DPs) wherein the trackpad becomes completely unresponsive to any type of scrolling sporadically. You have to restart, or re-login to fix it, and it may come back. It's hit or miss.

There have been two GMs this time, with the second one (13A603) being the public release. I suspect they went the unusual way of releasing a second GM to try to fix the scrolling bug; but I still have it. I was on GM1, and it is the same problem. I downloaded GM2 from the app store after the release.

Yep, there seems to be at least the possibility of an iPad pro.

I think Microsoft is upset that everyone hates Windows 8.
Windows 8 sucks bad, but it sucks by their choice.
For $5, you can buy a startbutton app to add back a real start button and disable the tiles.
If Microsoft would just do that be default, everyone would be happy.
Idiots.

I would hold off on Mavericks for now. There is a scrolling bug (which Apple even put in the release notes back in the DPs) wherein the trackpad becomes completely unresponsive to any type of scrolling sporadically. You have to restart, or re-login to fix it, and it may come back. It's hit or miss.

There have been two GMs this time, with the second one (13A603) being the public release. I suspect they went the unusual way of releasing a second GM to try to fix the scrolling bug; but I still have it. I was on GM1, and it is the same problem. I downloaded GM2 from the app store after the release.

Yep, there seems to be at least the possibility of an iPad pro.

No problems here with scrolling. I've been running Mavericks since DP1 up to the first GM for months now. Haven't experienced any noticeable bugs. I'm still on the first GM release, but I'm gonna download the public release anyways, just to have a restore drive.

So 7.0.3 lets you turn off the swooping animations. I hate them because they are not smooth at all. They make my iPad feel slow and dated, while ios6 made it feel very snappy. Anyway, I turned them off, now the os feels really boring. Is wish they could bring back the ios6 option.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I agreed with a lot of what he said. 8.1 was free. It came before mavericks. You can't argue with that. Office is free on the surface. You can't argue with that. So Apple saying they are first to do all this and changing the industry is nothing more than typical apple bs.

I think the surface is a much better work tool. The iPad is still a toy for me - which is why I am buying another laptop since mine died.

Haswell has addressed my biggest complaint about the surface pro - battery life. That said, I still think it is too expensive when I can buy a yoga 2 for the same price and get a larger hd, screen and better battery life.

Huge difference. 8.1 might have been free, but MSFT never said all future Windows software updates would be free. Apple is the first to do that.

Surface is more about competing with netbooks and Windows laptops. iPad is making huge strides in business.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/profiles/

-J

Last edited:
Huge difference. 8.1 might have been free, but MSFT never said all future Windows software updates would be free. Apple is the first to do that.

can you really compare 8.1 to 10.9 Mavericks with regards to being a free update? The only other time that Microsoft had a significant update to an OS where the naming convention changed only by a decimal was with Windows 2.0 to 2.1 and 3.0 to 3.1. Everything else has been Win 95, Win 98, Win ME, Win XP, Vista, 7, and 8.

I see 8.1 as a minor/bug fix update a la 10.8.x for Apple, not a major upgrade like 10.7, 10.8, 10.9.

So Windows 8.1 being free is not a big deal. It would be like Apple saying, we're giving you OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 for free and not charging you anymore for updates.

can you really compare 8.1 to 10.9 Mavericks with regards to being a free update? The only other time that Microsoft had a significant update to an OS where the naming convention changed only by a decimal was with Windows 2.0 to 2.1 and 3.0 to 3.1. Everything else has been Win 95, Win 98, Win ME, Win XP, Vista, 7, and 8.

I see 8.1 as a minor/bug fix update a la 10.8.x for Apple, not a major upgrade like 10.7, 10.8, 10.9.

So Windows 8.1 being free is not a big deal. It would be like Apple saying, we're giving you OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 for free and not charging you anymore for updates.

We'll see if OSX 11 is free.

We'll see if OSX 11 is free.

Even if it's not free, it's likely to be only $29, right? *If* I remember correctly, every "major" upgrade by Apple has cost me $29 or less. I think...I don't remember for sure. Can any longtime Apple user here speak to history from 8.x to 9.x to 10.0? Just curious. Sure is tolerable copared to the more expensive MSoft OS updates.

But ever since starting as an Apple computer consumer in 2006, I was always impressed with the OS upgrades that provided some non-trivial functional improvements at pretty low costs and w/o resorting to complete reinvention since things worked well from the start. Msoft's reinventing the wheel at each new OS always just seemed to me to be saying "we really didn't get it right before, so let's try THIS instead," only to do the same exact thing 5 years later instead of getting it right from the start. Which is also why iOS7 still surprises & disappoints the crap out of me, lol... I'm not an Apple fanboy nor Windows basher but the colored/flat square Win8 interface reinvention looked so shockingly unappealing and unfinished to me upon introduction (I have yet to try a Win8 machine since my employer still uses WinXP) that it was further ironic/disappointing to see iOS7 go to a similar flat/uninspired appearance. Oh well. "Luckily" for me, Apple banished my 2006 Mac Pro and 2010 gen-1 iPad to no more OS updates. So I'm really glad to still have iOS6 on the iPad.

Back