• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

We'll see if OSX 11 is free.

From what I gather, the next OS X will be 10.10, not OS X 11, and yes I think it will be free as well.

Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade, but only to those already with a license for 8.0, if I am correct, but not for NT and certain other users.

- - - Updated - - -

Even if it's not free, it's likely to be only $29, right? *If* I remember correctly, every "major" upgrade by Apple has cost me $29 or less. I think...I don't remember for sure. Can any longtime Apple user here speak to history from 8.x to 9.x to 10.0? Just curious. Sure is tolerable copared to the more expensive MSoft OS updates.

But ever since starting as an Apple computer consumer in 2006, I was always impressed with the OS upgrades that provided some non-trivial functional improvements at pretty low costs and w/o resorting to complete reinvention since things worked well from the start. Msoft's reinventing the wheel at each new OS always just seemed to me to be saying "we really didn't get it right before, so let's try THIS instead," only to do the same exact thing 5 years later instead of getting it right from the start. Which is also why iOS7 still surprises & disappoints the crap out of me, lol... I'm not an Apple fanboy nor Windows basher but the colored/flat square Win8 interface reinvention looked so shockingly unappealing and unfinished to me upon introduction (I have yet to try a Win8 machine since my employer still uses WinXP) that it was further ironic/disappointing to see iOS7 go to a similar flat/uninspired appearance. Oh well. "Luckily" for me, Apple banished my 2006 Mac Pro and 2010 gen-1 iPad to no more OS updates. So I'm really glad to still have iOS6 on the iPad.

I made the switch back to OS X when the Mac Mini was released. I was fed up with Win XP, all the malware and bloatware that is typical of Wintel box. The Mac Mini came with OSX 10.3 Panther, but 10.4 Tiger was released shortly after. It was a $129 upgrade, but I don't remember if I paid that much, or I got a free upgrade because I bought around the time Tiger was released. 10.5 Leopard was also $129 upgrade I believe. I had a credit from Apple for the first iPhone so i got that for free as well. It wasn't until 10.6 Snow Leopard that the price was reduced to $29, same for 10.7 Lion. 10.8 Mountain Lion further reduced the price of OSX to $19.

Still a far cry from what Microsoft has been charging for their OS, and all those different versions to top it off. Pro, Ultra, Ultimate, Super, Premium, whatever other names they used.

Wow, I just realized I've been back with Apple for 8 years now. So glad I made the switch and have not looked back. From 1995-2005, it's been a bunch of headaches with Windows, but a learning experience as well.

Last edited:
Thanks! I forgot the prices. But that is a testament to my prior satisfaction. Provide a good product and I'll not mind the cost too much or even remember it costing less than it did while waving your flag the entire time. Just like the Nsx.

On the other hand, ios7 has stopped me cold in my tracks for any thoughts of splurging on a 5s or a new computer anytime soon, in case Jony Ive keeps acting like the Chris Bangle of Apple. I'll be watching, but holding my nickels for now.

Thanks! I forgot the prices. But that is a testament to my prior satisfaction. Provide a good product and I'll not mind the cost too much or even remember it costing less than it did while waving your flag the entire time. Just like the Nsx.

On the other hand, ios7 has stopped me cold in my tracks for any thoughts of splurging on a 5s or a new computer anytime soon, in case Jony Ive keeps acting like the Chris Bangle of Apple. I'll be watching, but holding my nickels for now.

LOL. I like that.

I like iOS 7, sure some things are different, but overall, I love it and welcome the changes.

Another thing I really like about Apple's software updates is that they really do seem to try to refine the operating system. One of my favorites was when they went to Snow Leopard, you actually gained a few gigs of space left after the install. That's awesome IMO, as it shows refinement over time.

Really enjoying mavericks, especially the way it handles airplay displays now, as I have my laptop connected to the tv (via Apple TV) often. I haven't used it long enough to see any battery life difference.

And as far as ios7 goes, I'm quite enjoying it. I turned off the motion effects, but to be honest I kind of miss the zooming effect. But I'll keep it disabled for a week or so to see how I like it.

can you really compare 8.1 to 10.9 Mavericks with regards to being a free update? The only other time that Microsoft had a significant update to an OS where the naming convention changed only by a decimal was with Windows 2.0 to 2.1 and 3.0 to 3.1. Everything else has been Win 95, Win 98, Win ME, Win XP, Vista, 7, and 8.

I see 8.1 as a minor/bug fix update a la 10.8.x for Apple, not a major upgrade like 10.7, 10.8, 10.9.

So Windows 8.1 being free is not a big deal. It would be like Apple saying, we're giving you OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 for free and not charging you anymore for updates.

"As you can see from the above quote, Apple is taking on Microsoft that they are selling an OS for $200. First of all, Windows 8 selling for $199 is not an upgrade version of the OS. It is a full version of the latest OS which does not require any previous versions of OS to be installed. OS X Mavericks requires Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion OS X on their Macs. And also, OS X Mavericks cannot be bought and installed on the device you build. It requires a Apple hardware which are ridiculously priced when compared to the competition to milk margins. Whereas, buy a Windows 8 OS and install it on virtually any PC available on the market.

I would have been happy if Apple compared OS X Mavericks to the Windows 8.1 update. Windows 8.1 update is a free for any Windows 8 user and it brings lots of new features and updates than OS X Mavericks brings to OS X Mountain Lion."

More HERE

Hate to say it, but the first thing I do when I buy a Mac is to bootcamp it and put on Windows 7. I'm impressed with the hardware and styling that Apple offers, but not so much the software. As mentioned in Moses article above, all this "free" OS nonsense is great marketing, but in reality, it is included in purchase of the hardware. So for me, I'm incurring the cost of having 2 OS's on one machine.

phryxis, NSXrebel -

I'm jealous of you. I know I can be a pretty picky and opinionated guy when it comes to good/bad design, but I find most every design change (I refuse to call them design improvements) to be steps in the extreme wrong direction functionally & appearance-wise.

When I first got an iPhone in July 2010, I found that things just "worked" and I was able to figure out all apps almost intuitively. I found the artwork/skeumorphism to be very impressive and fun and gave things a weighty, quality, artistic feel. Was completely impressed from the getgo and went even deeper with drinking the juice (apple juice) and convincing family & friends to make the move to Apple.

Besides the fact that my iPhone4 is so sluggish now: With ios7 I found myself instantly confused how to make things work that were previously instantly intuitive in ios6 and prior versions. The idea of removing "buttons" and just using text to signify commands seems nutty. After 1 month I still often don't know at first glance what text is a command and what is just info/FYI. I've read that Jony Ive says "the world no longer needs to see a button, they're smarter now" or something relatively similar. Really - there will never be any new-to-iphone customers who could benefit from the previously instantly intuitivie methods? Asinine.

I find the small light-monochromatic-colored font on light-monochromatic colored backgrounds hard to read quickly and impossible to read w/o glasses, such as when you'd like to set or adjust an alarm while in bed and w/o glasses. The "data wheels" for setting dates or picking an email address to send email from used to be large & easy to read - now the "data wheels" are much smaller and monochromatic and the text on the top & bottom of the wheels is much smaller and becomes translucent, making it harder to use the wheel easily and anticipate what text is coming - now have to scroll much slower and deliberately. Improvement?

I don't know. The feeling I get when I use ios7 is that all of Apple is now run by "Deiter" and "Sprockets" intelligentsia types all dressed in grey pants and grey turtleneck sweaters and that Tim Cook doesn't even own an iPhone. I'd love to hear Apple brag about the % customer adoption rate of ios7 if only they also allowed the option to resort back to ios6.

Even the small stuff: # of bars for coverage strength - are now circles of the same size, and instead of showing just 3 circles of coverage for example, they show 3 full circles and 2 outlined circles that can look alike at a distance - the increasing size of the previous bars of coverage was much easier to read with a casual glance. It's completely, utterly baffling to me how these steps backwards got released.

Tell me which screenshots are more artistic/quality/interesting, fun to use, and easier to comprehend quickly?

Oh well, what can you do. Just makes me doubt their prior strength in the marketplace, and it definitely puts on hold any thoughts of spending more $ for an iphone 5s and laptop, both of which I wanted to get in 2014.

Am I a rarity or do others share some frustration with ios7 vs. ios6? If I'm one of the few, then I'm jealous of all of you! :)

IMG_9278_555.jpg

IMG_9279_555.jpg

IMG_9277_555.jpg

"As you can see from the above quote, Apple is taking on Microsoft that they are selling an OS for $200. First of all, Windows 8 selling for $199 is not an upgrade version of the OS. It is a full version of the latest OS which does not require any previous versions of OS to be installed. OS X Mavericks requires Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion OS X on their Macs. And also, OS X Mavericks cannot be bought and installed on the device you build. It requires a Apple hardware which are ridiculously priced when compared to the competition to milk margins. Whereas, buy a Windows 8 OS and install it on virtually any PC available on the market.

I would have been happy if Apple compared OS X Mavericks to the Windows 8.1 update. Windows 8.1 update is a free for any Windows 8 user and it brings lots of new features and updates than OS X Mavericks brings to OS X Mountain Lion."

More HERE

Those with windows 7 cannot upgrade to windows 8.1 for free either.

Anyone pick up a new Haswell-powered MacBook Pro? I just moved up from a 2010 13" MBP to a new 15" Retina MBP, 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD. Couldn't be happier. I'm in film school, so I needed something with a lil more power under the hood. So far I've put it through it's paces with Final Cut Pro 7 and Final Cut Pro X and already notice a HUGE difference. I installed Avid Media Composer 6.5 but have yet to put that through its paces. I know there are bugs and it's not officially supported on 10.9 Maverics, but so far so good. After getting some money for school, selling my old MBP, and getting the student discount, I paid like half of retail.

Now on the hunt for a decently priced Thunderbolt external drive or enclosure. I haven't looked at any comparison of thunderbolt drives vs FW800, but I'm sure TB is faster. For my scratch drive, I use a G-Drive 1 TB FW800. I also have a Verbatim external FW400 drive that is not powering up, not sure if it's the power adapter or controller that is bad. The drive itself is 7200 RPM, so maybe I'll just get a USB 3.0 enclosure as it will be faster than FW400, and they are cheap and abundant.

I looked seriously at the new 13" retina mbp. It is a pretty nice machine. At the end of the day though I went with the Lenovo Yoga 2 pro. I love the flexibility of the laptop. That said, the color on the mbp is superior and if I had to do graphic work on it, the mbp would have been my choice -- but then again who does a lot of graphic work on a 13" screen. :)

I have to say, I have been to the apple stores here in jax and Orlando and I have never seen them so empty. You used to have to wait in line to touch the iPhone or iPad. The 5c is a ghost town and I was the only one looking at the iPad air. Anyone else noticing a big drop in traffic?

Last thing, I LOVED the iPad air. Big improvement. It feels like a mini.

I have to say, I have been to the apple stores here in jax and Orlando and I have never seen them so empty. You used to have to wait in line to touch the iPhone or iPad. The 5c is a ghost town and I was the only one looking at the iPad air. Anyone else noticing a big drop in traffic?

I haven't yet because I haven't had the urge to stop by a store since being stuck with the ios7 downgrade in late Sept. I've complained enough about ios7 and how it's ruined my iphone experience to the point that, like a baby that's cried itself to sleep, I'm sometimes even tired of hearing myself complain. :) But a casual poll of my friends and family shows that most strongly hate ios7 like me, some are meh either way, and not a single one has said they loved it. For me tho it's completely dampened any desire to stop by the apple store and check out the iPad airs, and there is no way in hell I'd replace my iphone with another iphone with ios7 if/when my phone were to dies, so I haven't had any urge to check out the new iphone 5s either. Assuming I can't be the only one who feels this way, perhaps that's been the reason for at least some of the traffic reduction. At least it is in my ios7-hating viewpoint, with the fear that the powers that be that allowed ios7 might also commit similar-flavored mistakes onto other products. Plus I'm starting to get annoyed with apple for not finally just coming out with a combo Mac Air / iPad already like the Surface... It's like Porsche sandbagging the cayman to protect the 911... Tolerable initially then just annoying after a while.

But I really do think apple lost some of its "magic" that drew me towards their products, into their store for window shopping anytime I was nearby, and also killed my willingness to pay up for their products and be a smiling satisfied customer all the way home to my credit card balance. Now my iphone OS feels like it was designed by Coby or Vtech or Emerson.... The new way of using the previously simple voice memo left me losing an hour long recording I made on Sunday... Before you typically didn't need test runs to know how to work an app - before they just worked. Anyway, I can't be the only one whose purse strings are drawn tight now.

Oh well. Wah wah wah.

These resonate with my experience.

www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/10/17/apple-ios-7-problems/2986189/

www.zdnet.com/an-aesthetes-take-on-ios-7-ives-webified-interface-jumble-7000022058/

I'm still long on my remaining shares and keep telling myself I'll sell half soon. I just don't want to break up with something I once loved, lol. I will (especially before the anticipated tech stock dips in December/Jan since I can't just be a jerk until she breaks up with me like they do in the movies. :)

I can't say I agree with you at all Yinzer. Aside from some initial longing for the old artwork, I'm thoroughly enjoying iOS 7. Sure there are some bugs and what not with the crashy springboard, but nothing that really affects me significantly. I get great battery life, frequently used controls are right near the surface (such as restarting my podcast playback when I get in the car), and it integrates with my Mac ecosystem well.

The thing I don't like is that holding down the camera shutter button now goes into burst mode. I preferred the old way of being able to hold down the button and having the shutter trigger when I let go. Less camera shake that way. (The iPhone 5 still works this way, 5S does burst mode.)

Last edited:
I can't say I agree with you at all Yinzer. Aside from some initial longing for the old artwork, I'm thoroughly enjoying iOS 7. Sure there are some bugs and what not with the crashy springboard, but nothing that really affects me significantly. I get great battery life, frequently used controls are right near the surface (such as restarting my podcast playback when I get in the car), and it integrates with my Mac ecosystem well.

The thing I don't like is that holding down the camera shutter button now goes into burst mode. I preferred the old way of being able to hold down the button and having the shutter trigger when I let go. Less camera shake that way. (The iPhone 5 still works this way, 5S does burst mode.)

I don't have a 5S, but is there not a setting to turn off burst mode?

As for using the iPhone as a primary camera, I'll be moving away from that when possible, and use my Canon 7D with an Eye-Fi card and have those pics uploaded wirelessly to my iPhone. Better pics and still be able to share them online on the fly.
eye-fi-wifi-memorynew-daed_600.0000001371766621.jpg

Gansan, that's great, I'm glad you're not as annoyed as I am! Or maybe I'm slightly jealous of you, lol. </SPAN>

Though what you say does Jive with my key complaint that most if not all changes were not really significantly for the better…. Just mostly different.... I preferred the old shutter function too.... Pile that on with how things are unintuitive new, are less “nice” to use & look at than before, and produce results too often now that I don't expect….and now it’s just death (annoyance) from a thousand paper cuts… People can point to the nice new things like the control panel, but those things could have been added w/o the other unnecessary reinventions. The new Calendar, the fine/faint color font/backgrounds….UGH… Before, everything seemed instantly intuitive and rarely surprised me in a negative way and they “just worked” -- “magical” lol.

Well, I feel embarrassed by repeatedly prattling on when there are people in the world with real life or death problems right now... But I stick my guns in that that magic that drew me and my credit card in since 2005 has fizzled… Since Jobs’ passing: first the ios6 maps fiasco which led me significantly astray twice and made me late for two big work meetings at vendors, but which I later fixed in ios6 with the then-new google maps app that was bulletproof. Then ios7 which is an abomination in and of itself that now resulted in the google maps app freezing anytime I switched to another app, requiring a complete app restart and re-entry of the destination address last weekend when I drove to Philly & Long Island…. WTH.</SPAN>

Maybe my experience is atypical, and I know I have elevated expectations from things (thus my satisfying preference in the NSX as my dream car). But it’s enough for me to complain way too much about it. Googling now about sentiments prior to May 2013, I'm amazed by all the raised pitchforks & torches clamoring for an updated iOS experience beyond "the same old boring iOS6" and inclusion of certain features offered by the competition... I can only guess that the new AAPL management missed the mark entirely and misinterpreted requests for new features as carte blanche for putting their personal stamp on things ahead of "what worked" for the past ~decade. “It’s like a new phone”…..the minute I first read that (only after installing ios7) I almost threw my phone since I've LOVED how the OS/iOS’s were just constant refinements since I started w/them in 2005...it NEVER occurred to me in 8 years to prescreen any upcoming AAPL OS/iOS update before committing like is MANDATORY before adopting any MSFT major OS reinvention. Now I'll look at the OS/iOS updates with squinted eyes as I view MSFT's Windows updates... That's a HUGE paradigm shift for me, am I alone? </SPAN>

Makes me wonder too whether many key “good” engineers & managers cashed in on their reps and moved onto other companies – like how some television shows that are completely awesome for a few years later crash when all the good writers get hired away. Scrubs... Dexter... </SPAN>

Anyway. Go pet your dog, play with your kids, kiss your wife, and donate to the red cross for the Philippines. This too shall pass, and there’s always the Droid Mini and the Galaxy S4 lol….</SPAN>

Gotta say, I'm very happy with my iphone 5s and ios 7. I was planning on getting the new ipad air, but I am still happy with my retina ipad. Plus, I am now looking at getting a Windows 8 tablet (which won't replace the ipad), and at over $2000, can't afford to buy both the win8 and new ipad.

Actually, I think you should not be embarrassed about your ranting, and your experience is a valid data point. I think this is a case of Apple biting the bullet and accepting a short term disruption this year, and now that ios 7 is out, they will continue to refine everything for the next several years until things are slick and smooth again. It's really the shift from Forstall to Ive that we are going through, and if you recall, a different bunch of internet geeks were screaming about how they didn't want these continuous refinements and Apple needed to make a huge change cosmetically. They got what they wanted, but of course it upsets a whole different group of customers like you and partly me. Still, these are all first world problems, right? I'm just happy that there are interesting products that keep coming out.

Gansan, that's great, I'm glad you're not as annoyed as I am! Or maybe I'm slightly jealous of you, lol.

i am happier with ios7 now that I turned off the swooping animation. The OS feels more boring, but at least my ipad doesn't feel slow and clunky.

It would be nice if they could let us add the ios6 folder animations back.

Actually, I think you should not be embarrassed about your ranting, and your experience is a valid data point. I think this is a case of Apple biting the bullet and accepting a short term disruption this year, and now that ios 7 is out, they will continue to refine everything for the next several years until things are slick and smooth again. It's really the shift from Forstall to Ive that we are going through, and if you recall, a different bunch of internet geeks were screaming about how they didn't want these continuous refinements and Apple needed to make a huge change cosmetically. They got what they wanted, but of course it upsets a whole different group of customers like you and partly me. Still, these are all first world problems, right? I'm just happy that there are interesting products that keep coming out.

I'm not embarrassed, lol. I'm just trying to lessen the impact of my whining by acknowledging that I know I'm whining. :smile: I know I have more demanding expectations of design than some - not that I'm more right than others, just that I'm more picky.

Honestly I wasn't aware of complaints about Forstall and/or a redesign of something that worked EXTREMELY WELL, lol. It wasn't until I poked around to see if I was the only one who hated ios7 for its unintuitiveness and less attractive/fun design when I saw the past two years' complaints about Forstall & skeumorphism. Frankly I was a bit shocked because I always felt those skeumorphism cues were extremely artful, lent a warm touch to an analog interface, helped with extreme intuitiveness, and put an "Apple product" stamp onto things.

As far as Ive's belief that the world is smarter now and no longer needs skeumorphism cues - WTH? Does anyone else here agree, and could you help me understand this? Will all new users after Sept 18th be magically different than those from six years ago and not be benefited by certain visual cues / button cues? I just don't get that one bit and find that to be more of an egotistical excuse for a man to have his way with his own design preferences. I really miss them to be honest, and don't buy into using text w/o button cues - I still get confused as to which text is info and which is a command, and the narrow/thin/light fonts for the data input wheels (which no longer look like wheels but are all grayed together) are so very less easy to use than before... And I miss the "polished steel" and "pinstripe" treatments here and there...now things look cheap and quick and easy, lol. Like 18th/19th century architecture and art vs. modern architecture & art.

As for Apple's answering the cries for a redesign - I also need help understanding why the need for a complete redesign of something that worked well and set the standard for all copycats since. Am I the only one who thinks that some things in life benefit by change and others not so much? Freshened car style redesigns, changing your wall paint colors every 5+ years, rearranging furniture now and then, OK. But do you really need to switch the English language to a new language occasionally, or switch to RHD in America just for something fresh, or wake up next to a different wife every 5 years? OK don't answer that last one, I'm afraid to hear how much that might be a popular want. :)

I guess to simplify; every non-Apple mobile OS I've tried to date has just felt like a bad copycat with maybe more customization options but without any SIGNIFICANT improvements on a system that worked great out of the gate and which seemed to keep getting better with each release while holding onto things that "just worked" so well. And now we have a copycat. I'm sure complaints for something different existed before S. Jobs died, but I think he answered those complaints better by sticking to his guns IMHO. Not every customer is right, which I realized after sitting in more than a few "voice of the customer" sessions while at Ford that made a few of us just shake our head - some customers definitely suggested some refinements that made a hell of a lot of sense, but others just sounded like they wanted something different w/o any real recognition of whether it's an improvement or just something that sounds fun because it'll be different. Oh well. But if someone could help me understand the rationale behind reducing the intuitiveness away from skeumorphism, you might help me whine less by speaking up!

Whine whine whine, I know. :)

I have an old iPhone that still has ios6 on it, I use it as my lap timer for track events. It feels super out dated. I was also really wanting the gestures that I've gotten so used to in ios7.

I have an old iPhone that still has ios6 on it, I use it as my lap timer for track events. It feels super out dated. I was also really wanting the gestures that I've gotten so used to in ios7.

Do NOT install ios7 on older devices. The hardware cannot handle it.

^good advice especially if you have an iphone 4 like me, assuming there are still some lucky holdouts who haven't "upgraded" (cough cough) to ios 7. Try before you install; gone are the days where you could pretty much blindly upgrade w/o surprises and expect a certain consistency, whether you like the new system or not.

http://tabtimes.com/analysis/ittech...apple-has-tossed-30-years-progress-out-window

Where I was once angry that my ipad1 stopped being upgradeable around a year ago, now I'm really happy. Such a more fulfilling experience using the lushly designed and more intuitive older way to do things.

Back