• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

I have switched to Apple and I was the last person who ever thought I would switch. Apple just works better. This iPad I am using right now is the best thing since sliced bread. Now all apple needs to do is make a damn flip phone. iPhone is too big and I will crack the screen for sure.

Whatever Apple is planning, is working. Just released quarterly report, surpassing expectations and setting new records. For a brief moment, Apple broke $400 per share.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/19/technology/apple_q3_earnings/index.htm?hpt=te_bn7

Apple possibly releasing the iPhone on more providers in China, new MacBook Air, Mac Mini, Thunderbolt Cinema Display, Mac OSX Lion, and iOS 5 & new iPhone 5 being released in a couple months, they're doing something right.

Whatever Apple is planning, is working. Just released quarterly report, surpassing expectations and setting new records. For a brief moment, Apple broke $400 per share.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/19/technology/apple_q3_earnings/index.htm?hpt=te_bn7

Apple possibly releasing the iPhone on more providers in China, new MacBook Air, Mac Mini, Thunderbolt Cinema Display, Mac OSX Lion, and iOS 5 & new iPhone 5 being released in a couple months, they're doing something right.

They are obviously doing a lot of things right. I would think the delayed release of the iPhone 5 would hurt them, but who knows. The iPhone 4 is still the best phone on the market. They are also currently sueing just about everybody, so who knows how that will go. I think it is interesting that they never sued over android until it started selling like hot cakes.

Has anyone downloaded and upgraded to Lion? I've had it for a couple weeks and finally did a clean install today. I'm loving it so far. I'm on a mid '10 MBP 13".

Just got Lion installed. I don't think it is as big of deal as Snow Leopard, but it is a nice upgrade.

Thanks to OCTechgeek, I replaced my 11 years old Mac with a barely used 24' iMac with a external 1.5 TB HD for less 800 bucks. Just the screen alone worth every penny of it. He is also going to install Windows on my computer so I can do some CAD stuff. The dame thing just work better than any Windows based PC out there, and I'm a MCSE. well, was a MCSE on Windows 2000.

I'm saving right now for the 12 core tower so I don't have to buy another computer for another decade. Perhaps when I'm ready, the new model will come out.

If you never try a Mac, you really should give it a chance, it will change the way you look at computer operating system. The trick on Mac deals is look for their refurbish section, also student discount will cover your sales tax.

Last edited:
Just got Lion installed. I don't think it is as big of deal as Snow Leopard, but it is a nice upgrade.

I read a few reviews and they said the same thing. For $29 its a no brainer, but its not a really big deal. They said they really tried to make it more like iOS, which I am not sure that makes sense. I guess if you have a laptop a with a touchscreen or pad then you could do gestures, but on a full desktop I don't understand the point.

I read a few reviews and they said the same thing. For $29 its a no brainer, but its not a really big deal. They said they really tried to make it more like iOS, which I am not sure that makes sense. I guess if you have a laptop a with a touchscreen or pad then you could do gestures, but on a full desktop I don't understand the point.

The gestures are made to work with the Magic Trackpad for desktops or the built-in trackpad on the MacBook lineup. I guess technically it could work with the Magic Mouse, as it is multitouch, but wouldn't be ideal for some/most of the gestures.

The gestures are made to work with the Magic Trackpad for desktops or the built-in trackpad on the MacBook lineup. I guess technically it could work with the Magic Mouse, as it is multitouch, but wouldn't be ideal for some/most of the gestures.

Right. I guess MS is going the same direction with WIN8.

There is a new brand of notebooks coming out that will be touchscreen. These OS will run great on those, but for the traditional Desktop I don't see it being very useful. I guess you could get a "gesture" pad to plug in next to you mouse or something.

Any scoop on Iphone4.2 or 5? I want to upgrade my 3GS but want to wait to decided between 4 or 5.

Any scoop on Iphone4.2 or 5? I want to upgrade my 3GS but want to wait to decided between 4 or 5.

Nobody knows. There are so many rumors it is ridiuclous.

Last I read the chips were overheating in the iPhone 5 (the chip from the ipad2) and that is why it is delayed. But who knows if that is true.

Being this close though, I would wait for the 5.

Nobody knows. There are so many rumors it is ridiuclous.

Last I read the chips were overheating in the iPhone 5 (the chip from the ipad2) and that is why it is delayed. But who knows if that is true.

Being this close though, I would wait for the 5.

+1 Just wait a couple more months if you can.

They said they really tried to make it more like iOS, which I am not sure that makes sense.
Apple is aiming towards a day when knowing how to use any of their devices means you know how to use all of their devices. I expect this is the last major version of OS X. After this, it'll be iOS everywhere.

Apple is aiming towards a day when knowing how to use any of their devices means you know how to use all of their devices. I expect this is the last major version of OS X. After this, it'll be iOS everywhere.

So you are saying they are going to replace their PC OS with a phone os? Seriously?

I'm liking Lion so far, although I installed it late last night and didn't get a whole lot of time to check it out. To me, it's a much bigger deal than Snow Leopard because there are a lot of user-visible changes, and Snow Leopard looked and worked 99% identically to Leopard and mainly ran faster and smoother. Snow Leopard did introduce cool under-the-hood computer science-type innovations that were invisible to users.

But in Lion: I really like the new linear Spaces and Mission Control. I never used Spaces before because I didn't like the feeling of "out of sight, out of mind" with all the apps that were running off-screen--even though I do it at work on Linux. But with Mission control plus the super-easy 3-finger swipe to move between screens, Spaces has, to me, suddenly become a very natural, additional way of managing lots of running apps--especially since I have a laptop which is a small screen.

The new iOS-style behavior of bouncy scrolling endpoints and disappearing scroll bars I also like. Scroll bars are nowadays mostly to tell you what part of the document/page you are looking at, more than actually manipulating to scroll. The two-finger scroll/scrollwheels have taken that function over for a long time now.

Finally, the new process management system where the OS can autosave the state of an app you aren't using and shut it down in the background to free up resources for the apps that you ARE using is kinda mind blowing for me. That's how the mobile OSes work, and it makes sense to maximize your resources for the tasks you are working on. You don't need to be bothered any more by five apps you left running in one of your spaces taking up memory, threads, and cpu for no reason. They will just get silently saved and quit, and all you will notice is that the system runs very fast despite all the background crap you have left running (or so you think). When you go back to those sleeping apps, they can spring back to life with the same windows and documents and you hopefully won't even notice what happened while you were away. Unfortunately, this only works with updated apps that are coded for Lion, but I am sure this is how future desktop OSes will all work someday.

Last edited:
Ok, I finally got my own ipad2 (after buying my mom one) and I am completely sold. It is simply an incredible product. Does it have some trappings and short comings and takes a little while to get used to? Yes, but overall, it is one of the best purchases I have made recently.

One major concern about the ipad is the lack of flash and java support. I just downloaded an app called Splashtop ($9.99, with free trial) which basically allows me to remotely access my desktop at home and my laptop at work from my ipad. So basically if I want to play a game or run something in flash, I just access it through my ipad just as if I was home. So essentially I have everything my home/work computer can do. There is a very minor delay/lag in 3G but very much usable and a WiFi connection feels as if you are right there at your computer. I really think this resolves many concerns and limitation of the ipad. I had downloaded Dropbox, but as you know the free version has a 2GB limitation. With Splashtop, I essentially have all the space of all of my computers since I can access everything I need.

This is probably old hat news for you technophiles and I'll probably start to show my age by saying for me it's simply amazing! :smile:

So you are saying they are going to replace their PC OS with a phone os? Seriously?

I really doubt this will happen anytime soon.

iOS will be optimized for mobile devices. Mac OS has to have the full complement of tools.

I would not be surprised to see a certain overlap between the iPad and the MacBook Air. Both are mobile products. So a 3G or 4G equipped MacBook Air might make a lot of sense.

I also installed Lion last night. Went very smoothly and I'm liking it alot. I kept the scrolling direction in "classic" mode. Auto-save and file versioning is really a major new feature that we will all wonder how we did without. I expect Windows 8 will add these features too.

On another note, I see that T-Mobile is getting into the iPhone fray...

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/07/22/t-mobile-selling-micro-sim-iphone-4/

Something will likely be announced with the iPhone 5 (or 4GS).

Oh, for those Dropbox users out there... You might want to check out http://www.box.net They offer 5GB free and have what seems to be a more comprehensive approach to document and app management.

-J

Last edited:
I have switched to Apple and I was the last person who ever thought I would switch. Apple just works better. This iPad I am using right now is the best thing since sliced bread. Now all apple needs to do is make a damn flip phone. iPhone is too big and I will crack the screen for sure.

I doubt they would ever do a flip model. There are some nice 3rd party cases though.

-J

I didn't realize they actually already have a gesture pad

http://www.apple.com/magictrackpad/

Yep, came out about a year ago. Pretty nifty design how they made the thing out of one big aluminum extrusion. The on/off button is on one end of the rounded section and the batteries go into the other end. Glass surface is really top notch too.

Back