• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is APPLE planning?

Any scoop on Iphone4.2 or 5? I want to upgrade my 3GS but want to wait to decided between 4 or 5.

From Verizons new CEO today.

“We are probably what I would view as maybe a quarter behind what we had talked about in January, primarily because we expected an iPhone 5 refresh sometime this summer. We don’t know when the next one is going to come out. You will have to ask Apple that, but we expect that probably sometime in the fall, and I think you will see a significant jump there when we get to that point.”

Re: Interesting article on Apple and the rapid adoption of HTML5...

Update: The W3C has targeted 2014 as the date it expects to achieve broad interoperability for the full HTML5 specification. The ABI Research report incorrectly noted that date as 2020.

http://gigaom.com/2011/07/22/the-html5-boom-is-coming-fast/

One thing stood out in the article. Why in the heck would it take until 2020 for the W3C to complete the HTML5 standard? 2020?! Seriously? :confused:

-J

Good catch :tongue:

Good catch :tongue:

Still... 2014? Really?

Jeeze, it took 3 years to build the A-Bomb.

Still... 2014? Really?

Jeeze, it took 3 years to build the A-Bomb.

Contrary to what Steve Jobs will tell you, not a lot of web people I work with care much about HTML 5 at all.

It think it will be nice to use when it is here, but its not earth shattering.

I shied about from using flash on website for search engine optimization issues that flash causes.

Most people will not be able to tell the difference, but it will make for a better experience on all iOS devices for sure.

Apple is now richard than the U.S. government.

(CNN) -- Maybe the cash-strapped U.S. government should start selling iPads.

According to the latest statement from the U.S. Treasury, the government had an operating cash balance Wednesday of $73.8 billion. That's still a lot of money, but it's less than what Steve Jobs has lying around.

Tech juggernaut Apple had a whopping $76.2 billion in cash and marketable securities at the end of June, according to its last earnings report. Unlike the U.S. government, which is scrambling to avoid defaulting on its debt, Apple takes in more money than it spends.

This symbolic feat -- the world's most highly valued tech company surpassing the fiscal strength of the world's most powerful nation -- is just the latest pinnacle for Apple, which has been on an unprecedented roll.

Its Macs, iPhones and iPads remain hot sellers, its stock has surged past $400 a share and Apple just became the world's largest smartphone vendor by volume.

There's been a lot of speculation about what Apple might buy with its piles of cash -- Facebook and Sony being two of the more high-profile examples -- but the company doesn't seem to be in any hurry to make a move.

"We don't let the cash burn a hole in the pocket or make stupid acquisitions," CEO Jobs said last fall. "We'd like to continue to keep our powder dry because we think there are one or more strategic opportunities in the future."

Offering Uncle Sam a short-term loan is probably not one of them.

HP Kills webOS and their iPad "killer" after 1 month

WOW.

HP killed off their iPad killer and webOS phones. Wow. Just wow. Shame, because I thought webOS was much better technically than any of the other iOS wannabes (i.e. Android, RIM).

And there's also rumors that HP may sell off their PC business. That's not a surprise because that PC market is low-margin, low-profit, cutthroat. Shame here too because HP made much nicer stuff than Dell.

Re: HP Kills webOS and their iPad "killer" after 1 month

WOW.

HP killed off their iPad killer and webOS phones. Wow. Just wow. Shame, because I thought webOS was much better technically than any of the other iOS wannabes (i.e. Android, RIM).

And there's also rumors that HP may sell off their PC business. That's not a surprise because that PC market is low-margin, low-profit, cutthroat. Shame here too because HP made much nicer stuff than Dell.

If I read correctly, they are selling their PC side of the business as well.

United Pilots Will Use iPads

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.28a184296dda6208bfa99078cd9b334d.f1&show_article=1

United Airlines said Tuesday it was replacing the hefty flight manuals and ...

United Airlines said Tuesday it was replacing the hefty flight manuals and chart books its pilots have long used with 11,000 iPads carrying the same data.

The 1.5 pound (0.7 kilogram) iPad will take the place of about 38 pounds (17 kilograms) of paper instructions, data and charts pilots have long used to help guide them, parent company United Continental Holdings said.

The popular tablet computer will carry the Mobile FliteDeck software app from Jeppesen, a Boeing subsidiary which provides navigation tools for air, sea and land.

"The paperless flight deck represents the next generation of flying," said Captain Fred Abbott, United's senior vice president of flight operations.

"The introduction of iPads ensures our pilots have essential and real-time information at their fingertips at all times throughout the flight."

It will be supplied to all pilots on United and Continental flights; the two carriers merged in 2010.

United is the second major US carrier to adopt the iPad as a key pilot flight aid.

In May Alaska Airlines also adopted it, after the Federal Aviation Administration okayed the iPad for cockpit use.

United estimates that using the iPad will save 16 million sheets of paper a year, and that the lighter load it represents will save 326,000 gallons (1.2 million liters) in fuel.

"With iPad, pilots are able to quickly and efficiently access reference material without having to thumb through thousands of sheets of paper and reduce clutter on the flight deck," the company said.

title_hero.png

I was underwhelmed by the announcement today. Little incremental improvements; nothing revolutionary.

And Siri? I've had the same thing on my Android phone for well over a year.

The iPhone 4S is still a good phone, but after nearly a year and a half of iPhone 4, it should have been more.

I see no reason for anyone with an IPhone 4 to get the new one.

I did think siri was really cool.

iPhone 3 was followed by the 3S, so 4S is not at all a surprise.

Apple is still the king in the smart phone business so they don't need to be very aggressive in introducing new phones to sell a ton of them (more than 30+ million). With 4S Apple will be able to generate very high margins and will make a ton of money before the 5 is needed for the sales boost.

I'm sorta glad they did the 4S. If the 5 had come out today with a bigger screen and thinner body, with Siri and all the other upgrades, I might have been tempted to upgrade from the 4. Now I'm happy to wait a little longer.

But I do think it was a mistake for Apple to allow all the rumors to persist about releasing the 5 when they knew it wasn't going to happen. They probably killed iPhone 4 sales for the past several months because people were holding out for the 5. Now there will be potential customers that are disappointed with Apple and underwhelmed by the 4S. So they may go elsewhere. I assume Apple needed more time for the 5 hardware to be developed? I can't think of another reason to hold it back.

Because Apple knows its loyal following will buy anything. They are very smart for milking what they have with incremental changed. I can't wait for the Galaxy S II to crush this thing in the comparisons.

Let's see... double the CPU horsepower, quadruple the GPU performance, double the download rate, updated baseband to support both CDMA+GSM, upgraded camera + optics, and a ton of new software features.

For all intents and purposes it's a brand new phone. If they had changed the case a bit and slapped a big "5" on it, everybody would be like "ooohh... iPhone5.." but because they call it a 4S, everyone is suddenly underwhelmed?

I for one am really happy with the new phone.

You can call them incremental changes, but what we have here is a phone that is completely upgraded *functionally*. It doesn't have a flashy new exterior which is what legions of nerds were looking for, and yet it has actual functional upgrades:

• 1080p image stabilized video recording (I have never seen a smartphone with image stabilized video--is there another one?)
  • Better f/2.4 lens so no sacrifice in low light capability (one of iphone 4's strongest points)
  • HDMI out (just like so many android phones)
  • Double the wireless data transfer speed with better service coverage and much better battery life than going with 4G
  • Faster CPU
  • Much faster GPU
  • Siri (which is not just some tiny startup company with a neat demo that Apple bought, but actually the result of 300+ researchers working on a DARPA project since 2003. It is not trivial.)
  • iOS 5 and all the good stuff in there (which most of the rest of iphone owners will get of course).

If this were all wrapped up in a shiny new body, all the geek engadget readers would be cheering (and hating in equal amounts). But I would argue that these are substantive upgrades that make the phone better in a real world way, even though they aren't as fancy.

edit: lol. Arshad said the same thing while I was typing.

Last edited:
Because Apple knows its loyal following will buy anything. They are very smart for milking what they have with incremental changed. I can't wait for the Galaxy S II to crush this thing in the comparisons.
I knew S14 would chime in...I think you're gonna be really upset when benchmark comparo's come out.

Let's see... double the CPU horsepower, quadruple the GPU performance, double the download rate, updated baseband to support both CDMA+GSM, upgraded camera + optics, and a ton of new software features.

For all intents and purposes it's a brand new phone. If they had changed the case a bit and slapped a big "5" on it, everybody would be like "ooohh... iPhone5.." but because they call it a 4S, everyone is suddenly underwhelmed?

I for one am really happy with the new phone.

Ok. Let's look at all of that.

1. Double the processing power.. So great. How many things run slowly on the iPhone 4? None that I can see. Every app I have used runs very well.
2. 4x the GPU -- again, what was lacking on the iPhone4? Maybe 1% of games made will run better.
3. CMDA and GSM.... not a big deal to me.
4. Double the download rate ... Verizon and Sprint's iPhone 4S data speeds will be significantly slower than ATT's. That is a big selling feature for ATT. I bet the other two don't like that one.
4. New optics. Probably cool. I think the phone takes good pix now, but sounds like they will be even better.
4. "Ton of new software features" The iPhone 4 gets all of these right?

There is certainly nothing wrong with what they added and calling it a 4S, but I think people are ready for a larger screen to compete with droid.

I think David was right when all they hype was out there for the iPhone 5 Apple should have said the iPhone 5 will not be coming until 2012. I think that is why people are underwhelmed.

It is still going to be a great phone, but like I said, nobody with an iPhone 4 is going to gain a whole lot by getting this phone that they will notice on a daily basis. People coming off a 3GS will be thrilled to death.

Apple will still sell a billion of these.

Who will be the first the ask Siri "What is a NSX?" :)

specs comparison here:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/iphone-4s-vs-the-smartphone-elite-galaxy-s-ii-bionic-and-tita/.

Last edited:
Back