• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is MICROSOFT planning?

I'm not really looking forward to Windows 8 (so far, I hate the Metro interface), but this seems like a good application of it:

hero.jpg

Ugly color, but it comes in black too. At least it's not a copy of an Apple product, like so many other manufacturers are making.

Microsoft Surface

Hot. If I can get it to run my legacy Windows apps, I would be very interested. :smile:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dpzu3HM2CIo?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I'm not really looking forward to Windows 8 (so far, I hate the Metro interface), but this seems like a good application of it:

hero.jpg

Ugly color, but it comes in black too. At least it's not a copy of an Apple product, like so many other manufacturers are making.

Microsoft Surface

Very interesting. I am impressed but without a price, there's a lot of uncertainty of its success. Having the RT & Pro versions with competing hardware is a little strange too.

I will check it out. It is probably much more productive than my iPad. Still won't be a high Rez display though. Also being windows I worry about the battery life.

Differences between RT & Pro Models:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/microsoft-surface-tablets-the-differences-between-rt-and-window/

Surface for Windows RT tablet
Processor: NVIDIA Tegra-based ARM chip
Weight: 676 grams
Thickness: 9.3 millimeters
Display: 10.6-inch ClearType HD capactive touchpanel
Battery: 31.5Wh
I/O: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
Software: Windows RT + Office Home & Student 2013 RT
Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand
Capacity: 32GB / 64GB
Availability: "Around" the Windows 8 launch (fall 2012)
Pricing: To be determined

Surface for Windows 8 Pro tablet
Processor: Intel Core i5 (Ivy Bridge)
Weight: 903 grams
Thickness: 13.5 millimeters
Display: 10.6-inch ClearType Full HD (1080p) capactive touchpanel
Battery: 42Wh
I/O: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, 2x2 MIMO antennae
Software: Windows 8 Pro
Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand, Pen with Palm Block
Capacity: 64GB / 128GB
Availability: "Three months after" the Windows 8 launch this fall
Pricing: To be determined

Is the Pro version running a full OS?
If so, that's a game changer.
I can't imagine booting up vmware workstation and running anything.
You could have OSX on your Microsoft tablet....
Not to mention, if that's the case, I would imagine you could load any OS(after drivers are developed)
Backtrack, a hypervisor. Anything?

Last edited:
Is the Pro version running a full OS?

Yes it is the full version.

I wonder what the performance will be like using Photoshop. Or how it will compare using a new ultra book

Yes it is the full version.

I wonder what the performance will be like using Photoshop. Or how it will compare using a new ultra book

That blows me away. Might have to sell my iPad while it's still worth something on ebay.

"To copy what Apple has done. Poorly."

I'm sorry, in the past 4 years there have been many, many so-called iPhone killers and iPad killers announced.

Kill count so far: zero.

Still won't be a high Rez display though. Also being windows I worry about the battery life.

It's 1080p. Not "retina", but high enough for most practical applications.

The battery life is a concern, yes. Hopefully one could get a full day's work out of a charge, but I can't see the "Pro" version going over five hours, max. Too much horsepower in too small form factor.

I'm sorry, in the past 4 years there have been many, many so-called iPhone killers and iPad killers announced.

No way. The iPhone is a joke compared to Android.
It's not even remotely close.
One is a fisher price toy. The other is almost a full OS on a phone.

Microsoft is late to the game, again.
My company has over 10000 employees. We also are very slow to adopt new technology.
That being said, my company has fully adapted and integrated the sales force with the iPhone/iPad. I can't see msft gaining more than 5% market share
of tablets 12 months out.

Let's please leave the fanboy comments out of the thread and focus on the topic at hand.

The Windows 8 Pro tablet looks extremely promising, and I can't wait to play with one. It sounds like exactly what I've been wanting in a tablet: light, touchscreen capable, and yet powerful enough to run a full OS so that I can use my existing library of Windows software. I've avoided purchasing an iPad or Android tablet so far because of their shortcomings, and this device may be functional enough to get me to jump into the tablet world, and replace my Macbook Air as my primary computing device. iPhone + Win8 Pro tablet may be the ideal combo for me for on the go. :)

Let's please leave the fanboy comments out of the thread and focus on the topic at hand.

The Windows 8 Pro tablet looks extremely promising, and I can't wait to play with one. It sounds like exactly what I've been wanting in a tablet: light, touchscreen capable, and yet powerful enough to run a full OS so that I can use my existing library of Windows software. I've avoided purchasing an iPad or Android tablet so far because of their shortcomings, and this device may be functional enough to get me to jump into the tablet world, and replace my Macbook Air as my primary computing device. iPhone + Win8 Pro tablet may be the ideal combo for me for on the go. :)

I think it might be an excellent option for that, but personally i think I would wait for next gen ultrabooks with touch screens. But it depends on what your needs are. For me, if the graphic performance is terrible for photoshop etc, i would pass, but I don't know how good it is on an ultrabook either. I do know my 5 year old dell xps13 still has amazing performance -- but about 1:30 battery life. :(

I think it might be an excellent option for that, but personally i think I would wait for next gen ultrabooks with touch screens. But it depends on what your needs are. For me, if the graphic performance is terrible for photoshop etc, i would pass, but I don't know how good it is on an ultrabook either. I do know my 5 year old dell xps13 still has amazing performance -- but about 1:30 battery life. :(

I'm sitting here on my 5-6 year old Dell XPS M1530. Still kicks butt, best laptop I've ever owned. (And it's also a hackintosh, so dual boots into OSX Snow Leopard. Not that I have to do it often, I just did it so I could support clients with Macs)

I'm sitting here on my 5-6 year old Dell XPS M1530. Still kicks butt, best laptop I've ever owned. (And it's also a hackintosh, so dual boots into OSX Snow Leopard. Not that I have to do it often, I just did it so I could support clients with Macs)

How do you dual boot a pc to run Mac? I have only ever seen it the other way around.

Last edited:
No way. The iPhone is a joke compared to Android.
It's not even remotely close.
One is a fisher price toy. The other is almost a full OS on a phone.

The one with a full OS on a phone is the iPhone. It is a version of OS X.

And for you sir I present:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_6KnGgOVVjs?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For those of you that have youtube blocked at work:

PHONE TRANSCRIPT:

Tim Cook: Oh hey guys uh what’s up? It’s Tim, Tim Cook here, from Apple.

Lawyer: (Clears throat) Tim, it’s the legal team.

Tim Cook: My hot shot legal team!

Lawyer: Uh, wanted you to see this video. Listen to my impressions… we need to bring out the big guns. Microsoft has just totally ripped off 70 Billion-

Tim Cook: Oh my oh

Lawyer: Whup look: white square.

Tim Cook: What is that?

Lawyer: Patented in 1993, by Apple

Tim Cook: That is IT. Is that? A square device on a pedestal? Oh my God we patented that, like, 20 years ago.

Lawyer: Rectangular gadget, sitting there. Patented. Long time ago…

Tim Cook: Oh my god!

Lawyer: Magnets.

Tim Cook: It’s got magnets?

Lawyer: Patented that. Actually we invented that.

Tim Cook: Magnets?

Lawyer: It’s absurd!

Tim Cook: Magnets? For heaven’s sakes.

Lawyer: We need to do something about this, we need to act NOW.

Tim Cook: Magnets, we patented that do-

Lawyer: LOOK! Windows Logo! We patented the new Windows Logo 5 years ago. Kickstands.

Tim Cook: Apple.

Lawyer: Kickstands.

Tim Cook: Son.

Lawyer: We invented those with the bike!

Tim Cook: All day.

Lawyer: When the bicycle was invented by Apple-

Tim Cook: That’s some jiggly…

Lawyer: Aw look at this.

Tim Cook: Jiggly balls? What’s going on here? I don’t like what’s

Lawyer: Tim! Tim!

Tim Cook: I don’t like what’s happenin’ here.

Lawyer: Tim! Tim snap out of it! This is a slap in the face Tim and we need to bring out the- LOOK! Bouncing balls?

Tim Cook: Oh that’s it. That is such a ripoff.

Lawyer: I’m fed up with this.

Tim Cook: Oh my god. Well what are we gon’ do?

Lawyer: What are we gonna do.

Tim Cook: What are we gonna do.

Lawyer: What are we gonna do…. mmmmmmmm… ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Last edited:

How about a phone running Win8 and a Win8 Pro tablet. :wink:

Microsoft protects their IP just like Apple does. In fact, they collect royalties from every Google Android phone sale.

Back