• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is the Best Big Brake Kit for the Money? Who sells it?

Originally posted by matteni:
because stopping distance was not being improved.

Stopping distances are generally limited by your tires, not your brakes. Even stock brakes can stop you up to the limits of the tires*. However, doing so on the track can generate a lot of heat. Depending on which pads and rotors you're using, this can cause pedal fade and/or shudder and/or warped or cracked rotors. The primary advantage of the big brake systems is that there are bigger rotors and pads to better dissipate the heat.

* If you use track tires, with their greater stopping capabilities, this MAY mean that the stock brakes are at their limits, in which case the upgrade to bigger brakes can actually result in shorter stopping distances.

Originally posted by matteni:
When you go to a much larger caliper with many more pistons you really need to consider the entire brake system - including the master cylinder.

That’s a great point Nick. I was worried about it when I switched to the big brakes, however, I feel that the pedal pressure both for the street and track is perfect with the OEM master cylinder and I would not put switching to a larger master cylinder high on my list of improvements. I’m not certain if my stopping distance has been reduced with the big brakes, what I can say is that the big brakes brake harder and last longer than I can handle—that is, I fade well before my brakes do—this was never the case with the OEM setup.

DanO

I have the CT 12.4 brembo stock rear setup and have no ballance problems.I really didnt shop around too much because at the time that was the only plug and play big brake kit to fit the 16 stock wheels.3 yrs later I've had no problems and I'm assured of easy wheel fitments.A couple of points though I did upgrade the stock setup for 3 yrs until it could go no more.Once I started to drive beyond the capacity of; slotted rotors, motul ,braided lines, and rm pads it was time.Also I echo Kens' assertion that you can glaze pads and improperly break in a new set and have horrible result.That happened to me at nsxpo 00.I changed pads and did some half ass paddock bedding in and had a scary session.So listen to the advice of the experts and bed those new pads and rotors right.

Originally posted by sjs:
DanO, can you comment on front wheel clearance? What are you running and how much room to spare?

Let’s just say that I won “the least clearance between brake caliper and wheel” award at last year’s NSXPO <g>. That’s between the OEM 16” front wheel and the TAROX 6-piston caliper.

I run OEM 16” & 17” for street and Techno 17” & 17” for track. The Techno’s clear by a mile.

DanO

What we need at the next NSXPO is an organized wheel/brake fitment party, lining up cars with various configurations then swapping wheels down the line to try many more combinations. It would be simple enough to jack up just one corner of each and do a quick on-off of each available wheel.

Back